The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i just tried using the simulator using a keypad and the operations seemed to work except the bckspafe function..
Reply 41
Original post by dancingonion48
gotta click it all (at least I had to 2 years ago)

I tried using the simulator using a keypad and the operations seemed to work except the bckspafe function..
I remember using numpad for the calculator when i did it two years ago but not 100% sure if +, -, *, / work.
I know it takes two hours like actually sitting but I have booked it for 3pm so when should I arrive and when will I leave . I wanna go out after bc uh is gonna be bad news. Also how long does it take to get results after you finish? Five minutes ?? Help

Medicine medicine
Original post by MankyShoe
I know it takes two hours like actually sitting but I have booked it for 3pm so when should I arrive and when will I leave . I wanna go out after bc uh is gonna be bad news. Also how long does it take to get results after you finish? Five minutes ?? Help

Medicine medicine

Results are printed as soon as you leave.
I think you arrive 15 mins before roughly as they need to make sure you say who you are and then check you to make sure you aren't going to cheat or whatever.
Your exam won't necessarly start bang on 3 (can be earlier or late depending on when you actually end up going in the room- you still get 2hrs though don't worry)
Does anyone have any tips for abstract reasoning? I just can’t do it
Original post by Chickenhead11

SCANS

Shape
Colour
Arrangement
Number
Size

I think I used this when I did it
Original post by dancingonion48
SCANS

Shape
Colour
Arrangement
Number
Size

I think I used this when I did it

I do this but I still struggle to find the pattern
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by d0nkey_dude
Is it too early to revise for it tho? Or are you just doing it now to get an idea of what’s to come?

In my opinion yes (obviously depending on when your taking it). I sat mine late August last year and began revising around mid-June. If you've got mocks focus on those first then look at UCAT. I would definitely recommend Medify, save the mocks til' later. Also, I wouldn't say Medify mocks are very representative of your exam, they give you an indication of where you need to improve but not necessarily what your score will be. The essence of doing well is basically just practising until it clicks.
Reply 49
Original post by Telefonino
In my opinion yes (obviously depending on when your taking it). I sat mine late August last year and began revising around mid-June. If you've got mocks focus on those first then look at UCAT. I would definitely recommend Medify, save the mocks til' later. Also, I wouldn't say Medify mocks are very representative of your exam, they give you an indication of where you need to improve but not necessarily what your score will be. The essence of doing well is basically just practising until it clicks.

I'd actually disagree and say it's not too early to practice for the exam. Really it all depends on when your exam is booked for and what your other commitments are around this time. If your exam is in early July for example, I'd say now is a decent time to start practicing.

Medify is definitely a useful tool, it has 8 full mocks in total plus a huge separate question bank, but remember that nothing will be as representative to the actual UCAT exam than the 3 official mocks that UCAT provide (I say this as there seems to be a consensus that while medify is great, their decision making section isn't as accurate as some of the others are).
Original post by Jackdj2
I'd actually disagree and say it's not too early to practice for the exam. Really it all depends on when your exam is booked for and what your other commitments are around this time. If your exam is in early July for example, I'd say now is a decent time to start practicing.

Medify is definitely a useful tool, it has 8 full mocks in total plus a huge separate question bank, but remember that nothing will be as representative to the actual UCAT exam than the 3 official mocks that UCAT provide (I say this as there seems to be a consensus that while medify is great, their decision making section isn't as accurate as some of the others are).

I agree (that's why I said it depends, my example was simply my own experience for comparison), it's true that medify decision making is inaccurate and from what I remember the SJT marking is wrong too, I think medify gives you half marks for if you put one of the disagree options e.g. but the other is wrong. The online UKCAT papers were much harder than the real thing for me but they are representative of the styles of questions you'll be asked
Original post by Chickenhead11

I felt like I couldn't do it too... if you don't get the pattern pretty quickly (in 20-30 seconds), guess flag and move on and then come back to it at the end. I often found when I looked at it for the second time after doing other questions I could get it. I also felt there was a lot of luck involved. The real thing was much easier than medify. I was getting about 5-600 for AR on medify and got 790 in the real thing somehow, I think a lot of that was a fluke...

Edit: also do lots of untimed ones using a systematic approach such as SCANS before you attempt a timed version. My approach above comes in once you're trying to speed up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jzdzm
I felt like I couldn't do it too... if you don't get the pattern pretty quickly (in 20-30 seconds), guess flag and move on and then come back to it at the end. I often found when I looked at it for the second time after doing other questions I could get it. I also felt there was a lot of luck involved. The real thing was much easier than medify. I was getting about 5-600 for AR on medify and got 790 in the real thing somehow, I think a lot of that was a fluke...

Edit: also do lots of untimed ones using a systematic approach such as SCANS before you attempt a timed version. My approach above comes in once you're trying to speed up.

Thank u so much! And woah thats a great score to get!
Hi,
So I'm 23 years old and I have decided to study medicine. I'm applying via the access to higher education route. I have my GCSE's and a little work experience to go with it. As a mature student, I feel like the application process may be a little harder as it is, so it's important that I can achieve the best UCAT score I possibly can! Does anyone have any advice on revision materials (preferably free of charge) and techniques I can adopt? Also, how long should I spend revising for this exam? Technically, I could start revising now but I want to take the test in August. So I don't want to start to early. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Luke.
Hi,

I did my UKCAT last August. I started revision about two weeks before the UKCAT and just revised intensely for this period of time. The UKCAT website has some practice tests available for free. Another resource I used (which unfortunately was a paid one) was Medify, however it was extremely useful, I know quite a lot of people that used it.

I hope this helps. Good luck! :smile:
Which UCAT courses would people recommend- wanting to go on one to kick-start my UCAT prep but have heard mixed reviews. about all of them- please lmk if you have been on a good one!!!!!
Reply 56
the gist is dont bother

there's only so much you can improve from theory. the best thing is to practise questions. you can do this with medify or other much less expensive resources

its also probably slightly early for you to start unless you are literally the first test date
Original post by iiiipppp
Which UCAT courses would people recommend- wanting to go on one to kick-start my UCAT prep but have heard mixed reviews. about all of them- please lmk if you have been on a good one!!!!!

There is no need to shell out £100+ on a course when there are fairly accessible resources e.g. Medify or free online papers to do, the courses make money by scaring you into thinking you'll do badly without them and they are guaranteed to help your score. I'd imagine that most people who note improvements after doing them say that because they hadn't properly started revision before then so of course they would improve.
I was wondering if anyone has a rough idea on how many questions you should be getting right to get band 1 in situational judgement in ukcat. I know it's hard with partial marking and being dependent on the year but I have no idea where I'm at, so if anyone has any idea that would be great, thanks :smile: I'm from Australia and this is our first year doing UKCAT so I'm not sure on a lot of things.
Reply 59
I don't think it does depend on the year (someone can correct me if i'm wrong); what score you get on your UKCAT isn't influenced by anyone else taking it that year (you get your scores straight away after all).

I can only answer from a couple of medify mocks I've done which ended up being Band 1... one was 48 correct, 15 partials and 6 incorrects out of 69, the other was 42 correct, 22 partials and 5 incorrects out of 69.

I suspect both of those are pretty much bang on the cusp of Band 1/Band 2, but assuming medify use a similar scoring system to the actual test maybe that helps?

Latest

Trending

Trending