The Student Room Group

Get in a master program with a 2:2

Hey guys
I'm wondering if it's possible to enter a very good university with a 2:2? Most universities accepts 2:1 graduates only. Maybe if I have propers job experiences and volunteering I could stand a chance to get admitted?
And what are the best universities for 2:2 graduates ?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cloud10
Hey guys
I'm wondering if it's possible to enter a very good university with a 2:2? Most universities accepts 2:1 graduates only. Maybe if I have propers job experiences and volunteering I could stand a chance to get admitted?

Thank you

The university I attend is asking for a 2:2 but it depends on the course. They usually consider the applicants with higher grades first before the lower grades but it is possible. It's different for postgraduate courses because some people don't do them straight after graduating, they want to get into their career first before doing an MA years later while others don't do an MA at all.
Original post by s817
The university I attend is asking for a 2:2 but it depends on the course. They usually consider the applicants with higher grades first before the lower grades but it is possible. It's different for postgraduate courses because some people don't do them straight after graduating, they want to get into their career first before doing an MA years later while others don't do an MA at all.

Are you attending a top university ? Which one ?
What would you consider a very good uni roughly top 5? top 10? top 20? just asking so I can give advice from my small experience.
Original post by XOR_
What would you consider a very good uni roughly top 5? top 10? top 20? just asking so I can give advice from my small experience.

An university with a good reputation overall.
Original post by s817

And do you think it's better the get some job experience first before throw in a master degree?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cloud10
An university with a good reputation overall.

Well, I know some people who have a 2:2 in their undergraduate when I did an MSc at Bath last year - note that the course asked for a first/good 2:1. Unless you have to pay to apply to a masters course I'd just apply to the ones you want and see what happens.
Original post by XOR_
Well, I know some people who have a 2:2 in their undergraduate when I did an MSc at Bath last year - note that the course asked for a first/good 2:1. Unless you have to pay to apply to a masters course I'd just apply to the ones you want and see what happens.

So entry requirements are indicative parameters?
Is there a fee for applying to a master ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cloud10
So entry requirements are indicative parameters?
Is there a fee for applying to a master ?

Depends on which ones. I applied to 3, Bath, Birmingham, and Kent. Birmingham charged me 50 pounds to apply xD.
Original post by XOR_
Depends on which ones. I applied to 3, Bath, Birmingham, and Kent. Birmingham charged me 50 pounds to apply xD.

Wow....cheeky sods
Original post by XOR_

Great lol

Regarding my other question: if I have job experiences and other extracurricular activities I could stand a chance for a place even if I don't have the exact minimum requirement ?
Original post by harrysbar
Wow....cheeky sods

lol yea
Reply 12
Original post by cloud10
And do you think it's better the get some experience first before throw in a master degree?

If you feel like you need some experience first then go for it.
Original post by cloud10
Hey guys

Thank you

You can certainly get on to masters courses at good universities, depending on how competitive the course is.

However, getting on a masters is the easy part. Thriving on it is another matter. They are designed to push capable students. It is important that you as yourself if you up to the task with only a 2:2.
Original post by cloud10
Great lol

Regarding my other question: if I have job experiences and other extracurricular activities I could stand a chance for a place even if I don't have the exact minimum requirement ?

Yup. Keep in mind that master courses are generally less competitive to get into than bachelors as fewer people apply but the uni still wants to fill student positions. My advice - apply even if you think you have a less than 50% chance of getting in. Apply to as much as you can (just more samples really :tongue:).

If YOU think you need more experience then perhaps get it beforehand but if you think it's just the grades you have rather than your actual ability then apply to all you can - and, if for some reason (which I doubt) all the ones you want to get into reject you, reapply again next year after gaining some more experience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cloud10
Hey guys

Thank you

It's not so much whether you have additional experience, it's more to do with whether you can cope with the major step up in work load and complexity from your undergraduate degree (which work experience doesn't necessarily demonstrate). Like another poster said, you need to think about why you got a 2:2 as opposed to a higher classification, and whether you genuinely believe that you can cope with master's level study.

You haven't said why you want to do a master's, but a good reason not to do one is to 'make up' for poor performance during your undergrad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Actually my qualification is not from UK and if I convert the grades using tables on the universities websites my degree corresponds to a 2:2. However, if I use NARIC tables , my qualification is considered a 2:1. There is a discrepancy between grades, in fact in my country grade classification is a lot different than UK
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You haven't said why you want to do a master's, but a good reason not to do one is to 'make up' for poor performance during your undergrad.

This is not the reason, but why it would be a poor decision ?
Original post by cloud10
Actually my qualification is not from UK and if I convert the grades using tables on the universities websites my degree corresponds to a 2:2. However, if I use NARIC tables , my qualification is considered a 2:1. There is a discrepancy between grades, in fact in my country grade classification is a lot different than UK

Then you need to speak to someone in the admissions department of whichever universities you're interested in applying to, and getting them to do the conversion. That way, they can confirm whether your degree classification is enough for them.

Original post by cloud10
This is not the reason, but why it would be a poor decision ?

It would be a poor decision in that case because it doesn't 'delete' the existence of your undergrad, and means that you're doing the master's for the wrong reason (as opposed to wanting to learn more about a topic/continue in academia for research etc.).
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It would be a poor decision in that case because it doesn't 'delete' the existence of your undergrad, and means that you're doing the master's for the wrong reason (as opposed to wanting to learn more about a topic/continue in academia for research etc.).

So I should contact the admission department and ask them.
Thank you all so much

Quick Reply

Latest