The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies at Sheffield

Having taken a gap year, I've finally accepted my offer from Sheffield for Korean Studies, starting Sep 2019. I know @umbrellala created a similar thread, but as she's studying at SOAS I thought it may be helpful to have some information about Sheffield.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So - a bit about me and my application process:

1. Since I was about 9, I'd always planned on being a vet.

2. I deferred my uni entry (didn't apply in year 12), as my school was being unhelpful about predicted grades and allowing me to switch one of my subjects around - in the end I studied A2 Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy, with AS Physics. Originally Physics was my third A2, but eventually I was allowed to continue with Philosophy instead as my physics teacher was SO rubbish! Ended up getting an A thanks to my incredible tutor tho :smile:

3. I didn't get the grades to apply for vet medicine, but actually wasn't that disappointed. I think it served as confirmation that for some time it really wasn't what I'd wanted to do, but admitting that meant I had to find a plan B.

4. I did then apply to a vet med course in Croatia for international students (it's taught in English), and was accepted. However, the UK government doesn't provide student loans for international unis, so the finances were going to be a big problem.

5. I then applied to forensic science (don't even ask how I chose that!) because my parents were pressuring me to apply to something in the UK. I received 5 offers, but knew I wasn't going to accept any of them, as I didn't have any interest in the course.

6. Having already Googled 'Korean degree UK' before applying to forensic science and not found anything, my mom mentioned she'd found Korean Studies/Korean degrees at both Sheffield and SOAS - since both unis are very well-respected, I found this reassuring in terms of the degree's legitimacy. My parents were very on board too: my mom just wants me out of the house (we don't get on very well), and my dad actually works at Hyundai, which is a Korean company, and could see how useful the degree could be for Korean companies etc.

7. I turned down all my forensic science offers to apply to Sheffield through Extra - let me know if you have any questions about this, I'll be happy to try to help! - even though when I'd emailed them they'd been quite discouraging about my chances of being accepted. What did I have to lose lol :biggrin:

8. I received an offer from them about 1.5-2 weeks later, which I accepted immediately. TBH I've never actually been to Sheffield, but given the mess the whole process has been that's unsurprising. I hadn't been to Croatia either! I'm now in the process of applying for accommodation and student finance.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this - I'll try to post as things pop-up in the process to give anyone else who's looking at Sheffield/Korean Studies an idea of what to expect. :smile: I hope this will be helpful for someone! x
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by mollypew

2. I deferred my uni entry (didn't apply in year 12), as my school was being unhelpful about predicted grades and allowing me to switch one of my subjects around - in the end I studied A2 Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy, with AS Physics. Originally Physics was my third A2, but eventually I was allowed to continue with Philosophy instead as my physics teacher was SO rubbish! Ended up getting an A thanks to my incredible tutor tho :smile:

3. I didn't get the grades to apply for vet medicine, but actually wasn't that disappointed. I think it served as confirmation that for some time it really wasn't what I'd wanted to do, but admitting that meant I had to find a plan B.

4. I did then apply to a vet med course in Croatia for international students (it's taught in English), and was accepted. However, the UK government doesn't provide student loans for international unis, so the finances were going to be a big problem.

5. I then applied to forensic science (don't even ask how I chose that!) because my parents were pressuring me to apply to something in the UK. I received 5 offers, but knew I wasn't going to accept any of them, as I didn't have any interest in the course.

6. Having already Googled 'Korean degree UK' before applying to forensic science and not found anything, my mom mentioned she'd found Korean Studies/Korean degrees at both Sheffield and SOAS - since both unis are very well-respected, I found this reassuring in terms of the degree's legitimacy. My parents were very on board too: my mom just wants me out of the house (we don't get on very well), and my dad actually works at Hyundai, which is a Korean company, and could see how useful the degree could be for Korean companies etc.

7. I turned down all my forensic science offers to apply to Sheffield through Extra - let me know if you have any questions about this, I'll be happy to try to help! - even though when I'd emailed them they'd been quite discouraging about my chances of being accepted. What did I have to lose lol :biggrin:

8. I received an offer from them about 1.5-2 weeks later, which I accepted immediately. TBH I've never actually been to Sheffield, but given the mess the whole process has been that's unsurprising. I hadn't been to Croatia either! I'm now in the process of applying for accommodation and student finance.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this - I'll try to post as things pop-up in the process to give anyone else who's looking at Sheffield/Korean Studies an idea of what to expect. :smile: I hope this will be helpful for someone! x

I'm so glad you're sharing your experiences too! It'll be interesting to see what the differences are. Congrats on your offer and good luck :smile:
Having taken a gap year, I've finally accepted my offer from Sheffield for Korean Studies, starting Sep 2019. I know @umbrellala created a similar thread, but as she's studying at SOAS I thought it may be helpful to have some information about Sheffield.

Hey, we have a chat for SEAS applicants at Sheffield if you'd be interested in joining?
Original post by super_kawaii
Hey, we have a chat for SEAS applicants at Sheffield if you'd be interested in joining?

I'm also going to be doing Korean Studies in Sept, can I join the chat?
Reply 5
That would be awesome, thank you! I put a not on the freshers FB group, but there've been so many posts I reckon it's gotten lost... Could you PM me for FB details? x

Reply 6
I found your thread so unbelievably helpful and reassuring - thank you so much for all the work you put into it! I just thought it may be helpful to have some notes for people looking at other unis too :smile: xx
Original post by umbrellala
I'm so glad you're sharing your experiences too! It'll be interesting to see what the differences are. Congrats on your offer and good luck :smile:
That would be awesome, thank you! I put a not on the freshers FB group, but there've been so many posts I reckon it's gotten lost... Could you PM me for FB details? x

I actually don’t have access to a desktop anymore so can’t message you so if you send me a PM I’ll be able to link you to the chat
I found your thread so unbelievably helpful and reassuring - thank you so much for all the work you put into it! I just thought it may be helpful to have some notes for people looking at other unis too :smile: xx

Ah it's no problem at all! Sheffield seems to be more popular so I'm sure this thread will be useful for loads of people :smile: I hope you have a great time, it's amazing to finally study what you love. It's not long now until you'll be preparing to go, you must be excited!! xxx
Hi love - sent a PM recently with my FB details, has it come through? x
I actually don’t have access to a desktop anymore so can’t message you so if you send me a PM I’ll be able to link you to the chat
Original post by mollypew013
Hi love - sent a PM recently with my FB details, has it come through? x

I think I’ve found your profile on FB, but couldn’t send you a friend request so I’ve sent you a PM
Yay, news!! To be honest not that much has happened with regards to uni stuff, since most people will have only finished their exams recently and are still waiting on results. I'm just lucky to be all sorted and raring to go!!

I've now confirmed my accommodation, so thought I'd post about the process, which was pretty easy and I think the system worked very well.

At Sheffield, you can apply to accommodation once you hold a conditional offer, which you then confirm with a deposit later on. The system was amazing - you log onto this thing called MUSE with the details they send you, and then select the contract length and type of room you want to apply for - eg. ensuite, double etc - and then you can create a mini profile and can see which rooms are still available. It gets very granular: you can select which room number, which flat, everything! It also shows the profiles of other people who've already reserved rooms in each flat. Basically, you write a short note about what kind of person you are, like if you're tidy/messy, any interests and everything. This then shows up for the other people looking at flats, and you can choose based on that. For example, I saw a few profiles of people who said they were very messy, and I'm not down with that personally... I've actually ended up in an LGBT+ flat (although they've never asked me anything about that), and though I'm not really sure what that means I'm still excited!

There was one other person in my flat when I reserved it, and I don't think it's possible to get back in to see who else has joined without starting the whole process again. This is probably the only complaint I have - it's organised through a separate company from what I can see, and the website isn't particularly user-friendly. It all seems to have gone fairly smoothly though, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out if you need!

I then received an email a couple of days ago, having reserved the room a couple of months back, saying I had a week to pay the £150 deposit to confirm my room. Since then, I've set up my account to pay the rent in instalments, though of course these don't begin until you're actually there. You can also choose to pay all at once but your girl is broke so we ain't doing that.

One thing I should note is that it seems quite a few people are going with private accommodation - at least from my course chat. We do have quite a lot of post-grads, so this may be why they're less concerned about the whole uni experience in terms of accommodation since they've been there before, but I really wanted to be in halls for my first year. It does seem that going privately actually works out cheaper, and a lot of people have recommended some great websites specifically for students looking for accommodation in the area - let me know if it would be useful for me to share these!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop them here or send me a PM. I'll probably be back in a few weeks when I hope I'll have some more news to share!! Hope all your exams went well, and you're enjoying your summer. x
I'm literally in FB chat with you but I'm commenting on here, lol. If you want to see who is in your flat with you, you sign into MUSE, then go to the accommodation portal home page, then "degree application" then "continue" (this part will make you panic and think you might reset something but now you've paid the deposit I think you'd have to ring up to reset the system tbh) This takes you to a page you must have seen when you finished paying the deposit? It says "Congrats" and has a booking summary on it, but it you scroll down further it should tell you who is in which room if they had their info public. I agree about it not being a great site though, I am set to private on mine (because the office themselves assigned me it) so it would be handy if there was an option to add a profile now, especially as the only people who can see the info at this point are your flatmates, not just people browsing, so you don't feel so weird about writing your info publicly.
OMG that's so helpful! Thank you so much love x

Original post by hypotrochoids
I'm literally in FB chat with you but I'm commenting on here, lol. If you want to see who is in your flat with you, you sign into MUSE, then go to the accommodation portal home page, then "degree application" then "continue" (this part will make you panic and think you might reset something but now you've paid the deposit I think you'd have to ring up to reset the system tbh) This takes you to a page you must have seen when you finished paying the deposit? It says "Congrats" and has a booking summary on it, but it you scroll down further it should tell you who is in which room if they had their info public. I agree about it not being a great site though, I am set to private on mine (because the office themselves assigned me it) so it would be handy if there was an option to add a profile now, especially as the only people who can see the info at this point are your flatmates, not just people browsing, so you don't feel so weird about writing your info publicly.
Yay, news!! To be honest not that much has happened with regards to uni stuff, since most people will have only finished their exams recently and are still waiting on results. I'm just lucky to be all sorted and raring to go!!

I've now confirmed my accommodation, so thought I'd post about the process, which was pretty easy and I think the system worked very well.

At Sheffield, you can apply to accommodation once you hold a conditional offer, which you then confirm with a deposit later on. The system was amazing - you log onto this thing called MUSE with the details they send you, and then select the contract length and type of room you want to apply for - eg. ensuite, double etc - and then you can create a mini profile and can see which rooms are still available. It gets very granular: you can select which room number, which flat, everything! It also shows the profiles of other people who've already reserved rooms in each flat. Basically, you write a short note about what kind of person you are, like if you're tidy/messy, any interests and everything. This then shows up for the other people looking at flats, and you can choose based on that. For example, I saw a few profiles of people who said they were very messy, and I'm not down with that personally... I've actually ended up in an LGBT+ flat (although they've never asked me anything about that), and though I'm not really sure what that means I'm still excited!

There was one other person in my flat when I reserved it, and I don't think it's possible to get back in to see who else has joined without starting the whole process again. This is probably the only complaint I have - it's organised through a separate company from what I can see, and the website isn't particularly user-friendly. It all seems to have gone fairly smoothly though, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out if you need!

I then received an email a couple of days ago, having reserved the room a couple of months back, saying I had a week to pay the £150 deposit to confirm my room. Since then, I've set up my account to pay the rent in instalments, though of course these don't begin until you're actually there. You can also choose to pay all at once but your girl is broke so we ain't doing that.

One thing I should note is that it seems quite a few people are going with private accommodation - at least from my course chat. We do have quite a lot of post-grads, so this may be why they're less concerned about the whole uni experience in terms of accommodation since they've been there before, but I really wanted to be in halls for my first year. It does seem that going privately actually works out cheaper, and a lot of people have recommended some great websites specifically for students looking for accommodation in the area - let me know if it would be useful for me to share these!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop them here or send me a PM. I'll probably be back in a few weeks when I hope I'll have some more news to share!! Hope all your exams went well, and you're enjoying your summer. x

Ooh exciting!! It all seems to get very real when accommodation is in line and ready to go, your flat seems nice too! You definitely won't regret sticking with the uni halls instead of going private, it really is worth the experience. None of the postgrads I know live in uni halls, but as you said they've already had the experience and they're probably sick of halls and living with other messy/noisy undergrads :smile:
I'm honestly so excited - I just want to get started!! Since I've just been working over my gap year, I really haven't spent much time with people our age, so I'm super excited to meet everyone :smile: How is prep for your YA going?? So looking forward to hearing about it!! x
Ooh exciting!! It all seems to get very real when accommodation is in line and ready to go, your flat seems nice too! You definitely won't regret sticking with the uni halls instead of going private, it really is worth the experience. None of the postgrads I know live in uni halls, but as you said they've already had the experience and they're probably sick of halls and living with other messy/noisy undergrads :smile:
I'm honestly so excited - I just want to get started!! Since I've just been working over my gap year, I really haven't spent much time with people our age, so I'm super excited to meet everyone :smile: How is prep for your YA going?? So looking forward to hearing about it!! x

You should be!! Sorry I've only just gotten round to replying to this, it got lost in my notifications somewhere, but my YA prep is pretty much done now! Even my dorms are sorted so I just need to get there now :smile: I'm leaving on Monday!!
You should be!! Sorry I've only just gotten round to replying to this, it got lost in my notifications somewhere, but my YA prep is pretty much done now! Even my dorms are sorted so I just need to get there now :smile: I'm leaving on Monday!!

OMG how exciting!! Safe flight love - looking forward to your thread being updated!!!!! :smile: <3

Im planning to apply for sheffield to do korean in my gap year as well! First of all thank you for this thread and i also had a couple of questions:
1) you mentioned Extra, what is that?
2) what type of things did you include in your personal statment?

Again thank you for this thread!
Original post by muntaha2001
Im planning to apply for sheffield to do korean in my gap year as well! First of all thank you for this thread and i also had a couple of questions:
1) you mentioned Extra, what is that?
2) what type of things did you include in your personal statment?

Again thank you for this thread!

1) UCAS Extra is the system that allows you to apply for courses after the official UCAS deadline has passed - it's useful if you change your mind about what course/uni you want to apply to, as you're able to change your options even after you may have had some offers. The way it works is you first turn down any offers you currently hold, and then apply on a one-by-one basis to the courses/unis you've decided on. For me, this meant turning down the offers I'd had to study forensic science, and then apply to Korean Studies. I applied to Sheffield first, since I hadn't heard back from SOAS about my chances and I figured if Sheffield rejected me (since they'd already said an offer was unlikely) I could try applying to SOAS next. Does that make sense? Let me know if not and I'll be happy to try to explain a bit better!

2. My personal statement was very last minute to be honest. It was the fourth one I'd written by that point, so I just sat down in front of a laptop and tried really hard to explain how I'd realised this was what I really, genuinely wanted to study. It took me maybe an hour! I was so unmotivated by that point and just assumed they'd reject me anyway since I was applying late and assumed the places would all be full, but I think that showing genuine passion and interest in your chosen subject is the most important thing. If you can really convey how much you want to study it, and show how you've begun to learn more about it by yourself (like learning Hangeul, reading about Korean history etc.) it comes across really well to the admissions team because they can see that you're motivated to work hard and do well. I'd be happy to PM my PS it to you if you think that might be useful?

Let me know if any other questions come up! I feel like I've really been through the ringer with my admissions experience, and have ended up knowing quite a lot about the process so do message me if there's anything I can try to help with :smile: Best of luck honey!! Let me know how everything goes x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending