The Student Room Group

What Do I Do If I Have Accidentally Swallowed Someone Else's Blood

This is extremely embarrassing but also slightly concerning. TLDR I tested my mum's blood sugar, was a tiny amount of blood on my hand and I licked it off :|

Im concerned about this as a) they are taking a cytotoxic and b) they have been experiencing chronic fatigue lately, has mentioned they have recieved 2 insect bites lately (no typical signs of Lyme disease) and are presenting with significantly elevated ESR (slight ALT elevation, and no idea regarding bilirubin, ALP or GGT - they had another test done recently this week).

What is weird is tongue tastes quite bitter.

How concerned should I be?
Reply 1
I should mention the fatigue could be related to the fact that they were caring for my nan over last weekend and has been doing essentially non-stop manual labour since coming back home (despite me imploring her to take rest). Im debating if I should get her some ferrous salt as we need more info re: erythrocyte levels and iron in her blood.
Original post by Anonymous
This is extremely embarrassing but also slightly concerning. TLDR I tested my mum's blood sugar, was a tiny amount of blood on my hand and I licked it off :|

Im concerned about this as a) they are taking a cytotoxic and b) they have been experiencing chronic fatigue lately, has mentioned they have recieved 2 insect bites lately (no typical signs of Lyme disease) and are presenting with significantly elevated ESR (slight ALT elevation, and no idea regarding bilirubin, ALP or GGT - they had another test done recently this week).

You're a classic example of 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. What with the detailed rundown of you mother's liver function tests?! Chill. Ring your GP if you won't stop worrying about it.

unless they have some form of infectious disease, I wouldnt really worry about it (you mentioned Lyme, which might be a concern (both should speak to a GP / get tested for it) and considering you mentioned liver tests, am I right in thinking they have had liver problems?). depending on the quantity of blood + the dosage of cytotoxic, I wouldnt worry too much about it (Xmg or Xmcg gets distributed in over 40 Litres of body fluids so a drop of blood would contain a miniscule amount of cytotoxic (s - no idea what meds they are on and if they are on more than 1 cytotoxic agent). Iron might be a good call regarding the fatigue but as you mentioned, wait for some blood test results. Regarding the bitterness on your tongue - I have absolutely no idea.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by quasa
considering you mentioned liver tests, am I right in thinking they have had liver problems?). depending on the quantity of blood + the dosage of cytotoxic, I wouldnt worry too much about it (Xmg or Xmcg gets distributed in over 40 Litres of body fluids so a drop of blood would contain a miniscule amount of cytotoxic (s - no idea what meds they are on and if they are on more than 1 cytotoxic agent). Iron might be a good call regarding the fatigue but as you mentioned, wait for some blood test results. Regarding the bitterness on your tongue - I have absolutely no idea.

the hospital she sees regarding her cytotoxic seemed to be concerned over the elevated ALT (wasnt too high) so they kept mentioning to her about liver function tests (for some bizarre reason, nobody asked for GGT or ALP). she has had to reduce the cytotoxic dose however.
the hospital she sees regarding her cytotoxic seemed to be concerned over the elevated ALT (wasnt too high) so they kept mentioning to her about liver function tests (for some bizarre reason, nobody asked for GGT or ALP). she has had to reduce the cytotoxic dose however.

its just a matter of waiting for the other result tbh. in anycase, hopefully the both of you are ok and they can get to the bottom of her health problem :smile:
You will...be fine.
From what you've written, nothing will happen. Just drink some water if the taste is so bad.
You are fine.

Quick Reply

Latest