The Student Room Group

Yu-Gi-Oh! Society

Hey users, this is a thread about the Yu-Gi-Oh card game, online game(s), anime, duel Links and deck builds. Feel free to sub this post as long as your not discriminating against other users / people irl.

@quasa @Vikingninja feel free to add others.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Playmaker786
Hey users, this is a thread about the Yu-Gi-Oh card game, online game(s), anime, duel Links and deck builds. Feel free to sub this post as long as your not discriminating against other users / people irl.

Can we discuss about the sequels to Yu-Gi-Oh here too? and what about the illogic and the contradictions in anime in comparison to the card game? that might be interesting.
Original post by Kallisto
Can we discuss about the sequels to Yu-Gi-Oh here too? and what about the illogic and the contradictions in anime in comparison to the card game? that might be interesting.

by all means (gx, 5ds (jap dub not the crappy english one), zexal 2 (not the 1st part as that was rubbish) and current cour of vrains (Arc-V was a trainwreck :lol:). but in all seriousness, you can talk about all of them

your also into YGO?! nice :cool:

Dag nammit, cant believe you went for playmaker :O - EDIT - at least you didnt get playmaker or the playmaker :lol:
by all means (gx, 5ds (jap dub not the crappy english one), zexal 2 (not the 1st part as that was rubbish) and current cour of vrains (Arc-V was a trainwreck :lol:). but in all seriousness, you can talk about all of them

Just Yu-Gi-Oh first! As I suppose that you are a great Yu-Gi-Oh-fan, aren't you annoying that some card effects or the use of cards in this anime in general is just wrong?
Nostalgia <3
Original post by quasa
your also into YGO?! nice :cool: (...)

Yep, I am, although the anime is average, illogic and sometimes the **** in story-telling, it has some clashes they are really worth to consume it.

im still annoyed Konami hasnt errata'd shooting quasar dragon irl to have the anime effects as the card irl is not that great (minus x2 attack, negate 1 effect and special summon shooting star if it leaves the field).

in contrast, the anime card can attack a minimum of 3 times per turn, unaffected by monster effects (or card effects depending on translation), opponents cannot activate effects & effects negated when quasar attacks, it can negate & destroy 1 card; and finally, when it leaves the field, you can destroy all the cards on the opponents side of the field and special summon shooting star (which is treated like a synchro sumon).

Considering how the game has evolved since 2011, I think its about time the king of synchros gets errata'd (theyve done so with GX cards and Zexal aces). They have even given halberd cannon an evolved form :angry:
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep, I am, although the anime is average, illogic and sometimes the **** in story-telling, it has some clashes they are really worth to consume it.

know the feeling. Vrains has crap writing and animation but the current arc has a very intruiging plot (also soulburner's seiyu is Eren Yeager's Seiyu).
Just Yu-Gi-Oh first! As I suppose that you are a great Yu-Gi-Oh-fan, aren't you annoying that some card effects or the use of cards in this anime in general is just wrong?

pretty much yeah. Why don't they make the game and anime have the same effects or just retcon / release updated versions afterwards :|. I agree with quasa about shooting quasar dragon's effect being inferior irl compared to the anime but would say the same thing about the god cards, lifestream dragon and the timelords. If the timelords had their anime effects, then they would completely dominate all other anti-meta decks.
Original post by quasa
im still annoyed Konami hasnt errata'd shooting quasar dragon irl to have the anime effects as the card irl is not that great (minus x2 attack, negate 1 effect and special summon shooting star if it leaves the field).

in contrast, the anime card can attack a minimum of 3 times per turn, unaffected by monster effects (or card effects depending on translation), opponents cannot activate effects & effects negated when quasar attacks, it can negate & destroy 1 card; and finally, when it leaves the field, you can destroy all the cards on the opponents side of the field and special summon shooting star (which is treated like a synchro sumon).

Considering how the game has evolved since 2011, I think its about time the king of synchros gets errata'd (theyve done so with GX cards and Zexal aces). They have even given halberd cannon an evolved form :angry:
oh man i remember playing this when i was 11-14, back when xyz monsters were relased

this game is just a complicated mess now , and i'm curious to hear whats change
Original post by quasa
know the feeling. Vrains has crap writing and animation but the current arc has a very intruiging plot (also soulburner's seiyu is Eren Yeager's Seiyu).

@quasa

Spoiler

@Kallisto so you into the original original series, the "original" series (the 1st one westerners became familiar with) or any of the spin-offs?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
oh man i remember playing this when i was 11-14, back when xyz monsters were relased

tbf, pendulum is easy (all you need to do is have pendulum monsters with low and high scales and use them to summon high level monsters from your deck without tribute.
Link summons are actually great as you dont need to have the same levels, make a certain level or use a spell card to fuse / ritual summon. downside of link is that you need a monster at least 2 link markers pointing to your main monster zone to spam from the extra deck but otherwise its a good addition to the game (my fav.extra deck I play with online is stacked with synchros but also has a couple of XYZ and a few link monsters:wink: my 2nd fav. extra deck is stacked with links, with a few XYZ and 2 synchros).
Original post by quasa
tbf, pendulum is easy (all you need to do is have pendulum monsters with low and high scales and use them to summon high level monsters from your deck without tribute.
Link summons are actually great as you dont need to have the same levels, make a certain level or use a spell card to fuse / ritual summon. downside of link is that you need a monster at least 2 link markers pointing to your main monster zone to spam from the extra deck but otherwise its a good addition to the game (my fav.extra deck I play with online is stacked with synchros but also has a couple of XYZ and a few link monsters:wink: my 2nd fav. extra deck is stacked with links, with a few XYZ and 2 synchros).

jeez since when did this game get so complex

I feel old now :lol: I lost interest in yugioh when I was 14 (around the time GX came out) till I was 19 (towards the end of 5ds), lost interest again till I heard that apparently they were bringing 5ds characters into the trainwreck that was Arc V and am watching vrains atm
jeez since when did this game get so complex

links are an easier way to summon than fusion/ritual (which need spell cards), XYZ (which needs cards with the same level) and synchro (which need cards to make a certain level). Pendulum literally makes it easier to swarm the field with low and high level monsters. The game has always been a bit complex but thats part of the challenge. you have over 8000 cards to chose from and make a 40-60 card deck (and 15 card extra deck). It gives the opportunity to develop strategies, counter strategies, improvisation and help with critical thinking / maths.

I actually found it useful for prepping for maths exams at uni / my pre-reg exam as you had to do complex calculations (pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, the former of which involves using ln2 (a level chem/maths) to determine half lives, shelf lives, calculate dosage adjustments for different biological parameters) without a calculator
I feel old now :lol: I lost interest in yugioh when I was 14 (around the time GX came out) till I was 19 (towards the end of 5ds), lost interest again till I heard that apparently they were bringing 5ds characters into the trainwreck that was Arc V and am watching vrains atm

i actually watched all the anime up to zexal , the kids name yuma was it ?

yeh his voiced just piss me off that i stopped watching after episode 1
Original post by quasa

I actually found it useful for prepping for maths exams at uni / my pre-reg exam as you had to do complex calculations (pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, the former of which involves using ln2 (a level chem/maths) to determine half lives, shelf lives, calculate dosage adjustments for different biological parameters) without a calculator

you got all that from this game , what ever happened to just adding and subtracting life points
i actually watched all the anime up to zexal , the kids name yuma was it ?

yeh his voiced just piss me off that i stopped watching after episode 1

Yuma tsukumo :colonhash: Zexal is a bit of a weird one. I stopped watching for the same reason as you :lol: but what was weird is that when I decided to give Arc V a go, they were showing Zexal 2 on UK tv and that had a surprisingly interesting plot. downside is that they expect you to put up with 100 episodes of crap (before you reach Zexal 2). Vrains (the current series) is similar in the sense that the 1st cour was crap (so much potential wasted) but the current story arc is quite interesting (despite the crap writing and animation).
you got all that from this game , what ever happened to just adding and subtracting life points

you have adding, subtracting, multiplication, division. Add to that the fact you have to use your brain to quickly develop strategies and counter strategies based on what you draw, and what your opponent / teammates do and you end up developing good thinking skills :lol:

Personally I find it more intellectually stimulating than chess

Quick Reply

Latest