The Student Room Group

Turnitin submission URGENT advice....

Hey everyone, so i had to re-take the first year again in my uni and submitted by last assignment via turnitin. I became stressed and worried as six words in the answer in my last question were highlighted and in coincidence referred to a similar paragraph website where people buy essay mills! I provided reference for EACH idea & worked i borrowed , and write my own ideas and learning from it. The last answer i wrote all from my own writing and referring to the book. However i have never used essay mills. Surprisingly the work was marked, got provisional marks and tutor highlighted only a source which he commented that its unusual (internet source) but i included everything from that source using oscola, to support my evidence. Now im worried as what happens as in the general feedback, it says that the marks are provisional and they're reviewed externally. Does that mean that they will investigate potential essay mill use? I have all notes and draft plans to prove that its my own writing please I accept ANY opinion or criticism...thanks hope u all do well in exams also..
(edited 4 years ago)
You're not going to get punished for matching 6 words.
Original post by Jesusmysaviour
Hey everyone, so i had to re-take the first year again in my uni and submitted by last assignment via turnitin. I became stressed and worried as six words in the answer in my last question were highlighted and in coincidence referred to a similar paragraph website where people buy essay mills! I provided reference for EACH idea & worked i borrowed , and write my own ideas and learning from it. The last answer i wrote all from my own writing and referring to the book. However i have never used essay mills. Surprisingly the work was marked, got provisional marks and tutor highlighted only a source which he commented that its unusual (internet source) but i included everything from that source using oscola, to support my evidence. Now im worried as what happens as in the general feedback, it says that the marks are provisional and they're reviewed externally. Does that mean that they will investigate potential essay mill use? I have all notes and draft plans to prove that its my own writing please I accept ANY opinion or criticism...thanks hope u all do well in exams also..

My son goes to Exeter uni and I know that all the essays he has submitted (about 7/8 of them) have come back with the mark saying that it is provisional (yet none of the marks have changed all year). He also submits them via turnitin but I'm not sure that's got anything to do with why his marks are provisional. I would check with other students in your group about whether their essays also say that the mark was provisional.
As someone who has marked hundreds of foundation and undergraduate essays using turnitin, I can quite confidently sat you'll be fine matching only 6 words. Examiners will pull up any reference that does not look academic - it's a very easy thing to mark. Moreover, turnitin is linked to an unimaginable number of resources across the internet. It's expected that sometimes you will match 6 words exactly like someone else. All examiners will look at your work as a whole and judge whether they think it is plagiarised or not.

Also, summative assessments are often marked externally. It's to check up on the university's marking as much as the quality of your work. When I was a student I had many pieces sent off to external examiners.

You'll be fine.
Hello Bashtopher, thank you for the answer but sorry could you repeat again in simple english as english is not my first language and im an internetional student. i mean my work was marked and in the feedback (general) it says that it will be provisional until externally reviewed and ratification by sub-board. I mean it highlighted around 8 words, and referenced to a source who sell essays, and shows a paragraph with same meaning as i wrote. Im just worried if the other examiners besides the marker would think that i bought an essay which clearly i didnt as i have notes and drafts as evidence. Can you please explain, what exactly do external examiners do, will they think i bought this essay?sorry im confused as it was marked. I mean can you explain in simple english, what does external examiner/moderator do. thank you so much for your help really appreciate.

Original post by Bashtopher
As someone who has marked hundreds of foundation and undergraduate essays using turnitin, I can quite confidently sat you'll be fine matching only 6 words. Examiners will pull up any reference that does not look academic - it's a very easy thing to mark. Moreover, turnitin is linked to an unimaginable number of resources across the internet. It's expected that sometimes you will match 6 words exactly like someone else. All examiners will look at your work as a whole and judge whether they think it is plagiarised or not.

Also, summative assessments are often marked externally. It's to check up on the university's marking as much as the quality of your work. When I was a student I had many pieces sent off to external examiners.

You'll be fine.
Original post by Jesusmysaviour
Hello Bashtopher, thank you for the answer but sorry could you repeat again in simple english as english is not my first language and im an internetional student. i mean my work was marked and in the feedback (general) it says that it will be provisional until externally reviewed and ratification by sub-board. I mean it highlighted around 8 words, and referenced to a source who sell essays, and shows a paragraph with same meaning as i wrote. Im just worried if the other examiners besides the marker would think that i bought an essay which clearly i didnt as i have notes and drafts as evidence. Can you please explain, what exactly do external examiners do, will they think i bought this essay?sorry im confused as it was marked. I mean can you explain in simple english, what does external examiner/moderator do. thank you so much for your help really appreciate.

They will not think you have bought this essay. 8 words is not enough for any examiner to think that you have bought your essay.

External examiners make sure that internal examiners are marking fairly. Their main role is to find out whether the mark given by your university is fair. They check to see if the mark you were given reflects the quality of your work. In other words, external examiners are assessing your university more than they are assessing you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending