The Student Room Group

Local election results - rejection of Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
This video is pretty hilarious

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-48146485/election-results-mp-vicky-ford-upset-as-tories-lose-council

Not because of the crying - in fact she comes across as passionate about local council which is great - but because she (and the wider conservative party) seem fixated that this was because we want Brexit quicker. What planet are they on?!

She effectively says in the video 'look you idiot voters you've now put a party in power who doesn't even want Brexit'. Erm... yeah!

And to round it all off, their theory is completely put to bed when we see UKIP dying its presumably final death. If the people wanted to use this election to show frustrations at lack of Brexit, surely we'd have seen a sharp rise in UKIP votes. We didn't.

Not pretending that this is in any shape or form equivalent to a national Brexit poll. Its the tories that are doing that. Then somehow reaching the conculsion that its lack of Brexit that's caused their wipeout...?!

If you're wanting to send a message about Brexit its pretty obvious what people would have done.

Voted UKIP.

UKIP have completely fallen apart, and it seems like they weren’t running in a lot of places anyway, given that all the “spoiled ballot” pictures are of Lib/Lab/Con choices only - if you do want Brexit you don’t have anyone to vote for.

I think there’s another backlash brewing, we’ll start to see it unravel at the European elections...
Yes, the results very much indicate a rejection of Brexit

It doesn't make any sense that people like May are saying that it's a sign people want to get on with brexit when the Conservatives by far lost the most amount of councillors, and pro-remain parties gained, again by far, the most

People saying that it doesn't make sense that this would happen don't seem to understand that as a result of party affiliations, inevitably people vote as a result of the party's actions - I'm not saying this SHOULD be the case, but it is
Someone said that it was an indication of local victories, which in no way explains the huge losses and respectably gains of each party

I helped to count the votes, the vast majority, if not all of the spoilt ballots represented this
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by YoungMetro_
Yes, the results very much indicate a rejection of Brexit

It doesn't make any sense that people like May are saying that it's a sign people want to get on with brexit when the Conservatives by far lost the most amount of councillors, and pro-remain parties gained, again by far, the most

People saying that it doesn't make sense that this would happen don't seem to understand that as a result of party affiliations, inevitably people vote as a result of the party's actions - I'm not saying this SHOULD be the case, but it is
Someone said that it was an indication of local victories, which in no way explains the huge losses and respectably gains of each party

I helped to count the votes, the vast majority, if not all of the spoilt ballots represented this

We will see how much the populace has rejected brexit in just under 3 weeks, Thursdays election doesn't represent rejection at all.
Can you please tell me how all the independent councillors that were elected feel about brexit?
Also despite all the losses the Tories still won the most seats, which given the fact that they are approaching 9 years in government and are shockingly bad at it, is pretty amazing.
Reply 23
Original post by generallee
Yes.

Sure, the Lib Dems have picked up vote in Leave areas, as well as Remain. Doesn't that show how the tide is turning? Leavers have changed their minds and see the error of their ways?

I put it to you that this is a classic protest vote against the two main parties. Both of them have lost seats because they are letting the country down and miring us in chaos. We aren't leaving and we haven't revoked Article 50. Why should anyone vote for either of them?

Plus these are local elections, they matter. I am as passionate about Brexit as anyone here on TSR and more than most. I completely despise the Tory Party, and this Government. But my local council is very well run. We have good services,the bin collection is first class, they are improving the town. Above all the Council Tax is very low. I have a beach house in Wales and the local authority there is Labour controlled. The rubbish collection is pitiable (in fact I always bring it home which is a total pain), local services are far worse, and although my main house is worth more than three times my second home the council tax is still appreciably higher for the latter.

So I voted for the two Tories in my local ward, holding my nose, and despite Brexit.

The reason the services are worse is because the government has hit Labour run councils with much deeper cuts than tory ones.

So those councils have no choice but to raise council tax and even then, that doesn't nearly cover the cuts to their budgets.
Reply 24
Original post by z-hog
It makes no sense to punish local councillors for what the muppets in Westminster are up to, my council is fairly well run and it would be a shot in the foot to have such good people slung out because of Brexit. It's nonsense to vote that way if you're happy with your local authority.

As for the MEPs round... that's the one where we're free to let it all hang out at no cost to anything. Definitely voting Brexit at that one before reverting to form to prevent the loony left from taking over this country.

I love how you claim to be anti-establishment but also vote for quite possibly the most 'establishment' polticial party in the world.
Reply 25
Original post by jameswhughes
It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming Peterborough by-election and EU elections. Or will those results not count if a Brexit supporting party does well? :wink:

Labour, Tories and the Brexit party - the three possible winners of this seat - are all pro Brexit...
I think more a rejection of the parties who have failed either to deliver Brexit or have a clear idea of where to go next.
Original post by DSilva
Labour, Tories and the Brexit party - the three possible winners of this seat - are all pro Brexit...

Labour aren't pro-Brexit, they're deliberately keeping ambiguous to try impress everyone, and the Conservatives aren't much better.
Not a rejection of Brexit but a rejection in the parties who are carrying out Brexit.
It's interesting to see that in Rees-Mogg's own constituency, people are shifting decisively against Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/04/rees-mogg-heartland-voters-embrace-lib-dems-over-brexit
Reply 30
Labour aren't pro-Brexit, they're deliberately keeping ambiguous to try impress everyone, and the Conservatives aren't much better.

They are, much to the dismay of most of its supporters. Hence Corbyn's stubbornness in refusing a second referendum and his genuine attempts to find a deal with May. He's a lifelong eurosceptic.

Labour's position is essentially a soft Brexit, but still very much Brexit.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's interesting to see that in Rees-Mogg's own constituency, people are shifting decisively against Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/04/rees-mogg-heartland-voters-embrace-lib-dems-over-brexit

Hmm, Guardian + 2 people = unequivocal proof that the nation has changed it's mind 😴😴😴😴😴
Original post by DSilva
They are, much to the dismay of most of its supporters. Hence Corbyn's stubbornness in refusing a second referendum and his genuine attempts to find a deal with May. He's a lifelong eurosceptic.

Labour's position is essentially a soft Brexit, but still very much Brexit.

That depends on who you see as the supporters, the voters or the party members with the MPs. These groups are diametrically opposed on Brexit, so they've been keeping their position ambiguous in an attempt to impress everyone.
Reply 33
That depends on who you see as the supporters, the voters or the party members with the MPs. These groups are diametrically opposed on Brexit, so they've been keeping their position ambiguous in an attempt to impress everyone.

The details of what Labour's 'soft Brexit' would be are ambiguous, granted. But Labour's essential position, that Brexit has to happen in some form, has remained constant since the Referendum result.

At no point has the leadership endorsed reversing Brexit, because it hasn't been their position. The leadership of the party are eurosceptic. Its 2017 manifesto made clear that it was Labour's position to leave the EU.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ColinDent
Hmm, Guardian + 2 people = unequivocal proof that the nation has changed it's mind 😴😴😴😴😴

Yes, all those votes for the LibDems and the Greens were just imaginary and anyway it's not like those parties oppose Brexit or anything.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, all those votes for the LibDems and the Greens were just imaginary and anyway it's not like those parties oppose Brexit or anything.

Can you prove it's a massive swing from people voting Tory that were also brexiteers, or could it possibly be just the that those more brexit minded didn't vote because there's no point in a local election
There will be a proper test soon enough.
(edited 4 years ago)
many leavers did not bother to vote because there vote was not respected.
The most recent polls certainly don't see a shift away from support for brexit, with the most recent and largest one (yougov) showing The Brexit Party having a 6 point lead, in fact in that particular poll if you add the 3 definite remain parties then The Brexit Party still have a 1 point lead.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uk-politics-poll-tracker-2019-14298357
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Glad to see the smoking remnant of UKIP without Farage has lost seats :smile:

That was zero surprise tbh. I'm a staunch Brexiteer, but if I had to choose between UKIP or the Lib Dems running my council, I would choose the Lib Dems in a heartbeat.
Original post by ColinDent
Not really because UKIP aren't relevant anymore, Lib Dems are still polling less than in 2010 when they were at their peak, and even then they were easily the 3rd party so these results are nothing to shout about.
The big test will be on 23rd of May when the brexit party enter the fray.

Are you really discounting the council elections but signalling that the traditionall low turn out but also proportional prepresentative EU elections will be more relevant? Gosh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending