The Student Room Group

Last minute revision plan for Science

I screwed up and left revision waaaay too late for gcse science so the battle strategy is:
Tomorrow it'll be a physics day where I learn Paper 1 in a day or 2 then Monday I do Chemistry Paper 1 then I'll do Biology.

So the plan is to start with the paper 1 exam that I have last then since Biology is my first exam it'll be fresh in my head.

What other things should I do? Are there problems with my idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't avoid learning how to calculate moles, mass, relative atomic mass ect. I find that it always comes up in some form for chemistry (My Opinion)
Edit: this is for chemistry btw
Edit: That other edit isnt needed
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Elsmok
don't avoid learning how to calculate moles, mass, relative atomic mass ect. I find that it always comes up in some form for chemistry (My Opinion)
Edit: this is for chemistry btw
Edit: That other edit isnt needed

Fair point (*^* ) I need to plan this strategically, plus for physics it's mainly just equations that I need to practice. Do you have anymore advice? I plan to mainly go through the bigger topics like today I went through half of B2.
Why would you leave it this late? I've revised & I'm pretty confident just a few practice on quantitative chemistry & electrolysis & Im good to go. But ..good news! It's not late :smile: Start banging out revision!!!!!!
I'd suggest you do as many past papers as possible - however, perhaps it would be best to complete questions on a white board to save some time and note down gaps in your knowledge and then subsequently employ whatever method you deem suitable in regards to memorisation.
Rinse and repeat.

Edit: To expand: as @Elsmok stated, learning intricate calculations like moles, balancing equations etc. is integral and most of the time can earn you the easiest marks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rockyball89
Why would you leave it this late? I've revised & I'm pretty confident just a few practice on quantitative chemistry & electrolysis & Im good to go. But ..good news! It's not late :smile: Start banging out revision!!!!!!

I don't even know why I left it this late. I finished making notes for the whole content in January but I didn't actually learn my notes. Thank you btw
Reply 6
Original post by logical_nonsense
I'd suggest you do as many past papers as possible - however, perhaps it would be best to complete questions on a white board to save some time and note down gaps in your knowledge and then subsequently employ whatever method you deem suitable in regards to memorisation.
Rinse and repeat.

Edit: To expand: as @Elsmok stated, learning intricate calculations like moles, balancing equations etc. is integral and most of the time can earn you the easiest marks

Thank you!
Reply 7
Rinse and repeat.

yeh if you get good with the maths in chemistry it can become loads of free marks
I haven’t started revising, starting today you should be able to get through a paper in a day tho.
Reply 9
Rinse and repeat.

By using a whiteboard to save time, do you mean I should answer one question at a time then go over that one question if I get it wrong?
Reply 10
Original post by Elsmok
yeh if you get good with the maths in chemistry it can become loads of free marks

That's reassuring (>~< ) I'll put that on my to do list
Reply 11
Original post by Amari_113
I haven’t started revising, starting today you should be able to get through a paper in a day tho.

Get through a paper as in paper 1 or a past paper?
I'm doing this: I'm watching ScienceWithHazel and writing notes down then using my revision guide to fill in extra bits. It's helped me understand things more but I'm moving too slowly so I started with Organisation since it has the most content for Paper 1.
Reply 12
Make sure to get all the generic stuff that always comes up most years. Like cell structure and stuff. I wouldnt be surprised if a 6 marker on a required practical comes up
Original post by Hiro2468
Get through a paper as in paper 1 or a past paper?
I'm doing this: I'm watching ScienceWithHazel and writing notes down then using my revision guide to fill in extra bits. It's helped me understand things more but I'm moving too slowly so I started with Organisation since it has the most content for Paper 1.
Original post by Hiro2468
By using a whiteboard to save time, do you mean I should answer one question at a time then go over that one question if I get it wrong?

Yeah, pretty much. It's what i do, anyway. It really depends on the question though. It doesn't really work for graph questions, however works well for calculations and bullet pointing answers. It really depends on how creative you are with the whiteboard. But it's always seems to be quicker than writing it down into the exam papers - work's well if you don't actually have a physical copy of the paper and you usually find that you can complete a lot more exam papers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Yeah, pretty much. It's what i do, anyway. It really depends on the question though. It doesn't really work for graph questions, however works well for calculations and bullet pointing answers. It really depends on how creative you are with the whiteboard. But it's always seems to be quicker than writing it down into the exam papers - work's well if you don't actually have a physical copy of the paper and you usually find that you can complete a lot more exam papers.

Thank you! (^_^ ) I've done half of B2 so I'll finish it tomorrow and do a past paper.
Reply 15
how are you getting on?
Reply 16
Original post by Elsmok
how are you getting on?

Lol I didn't do what I originally planned. Right now I'm feeling sick and didn't go to the library as planned so hopefully I feel better tomorrow and can go to the library.
Reply 17
how did find the paper 1's?
Reply 18
Original post by Elsmok
how did find the paper 1's?

Biology was awesome besides the silly question towards the end about enzyme A and B - I was stumped. I was extremely happy to see no practicals, I did a mental dance as I didn't really cover the practicals properly and planned to wing it.

Chemistry was alright although there were some questions where my maths just didn't add up especially the last 6 marker (I think it was 6?).

Physics was horrible unfortunately, I thought it'd have the same energy as Biology and Chemistry but nope. It didn't go so well that my brain made it its mission to erase that paper. The maths parts were calm though I was able to do them fine I suppose.

What about you?
Reply 19
biology was probably my worst one. physics was good and chemistry was great. but we're only half way done with science another 3 to go

Quick Reply

Latest