The Student Room Group

Aliphatic vs Aromatic, smoky vs sooty

I had a quick look in the other chemistry threads, I couldn't find anything, perhaps I didn't look hard enough, so I apologise if there's a similar thread already. After Easter, I have an assessed practical.
Does an aliphatic or aromatic compound burn with a smoky flame?
Does an aliphatic or aromatic compound burn with a sooty flame?
The internet gives conflicting advice.
Reply 1
Aromatic compounds burn with a sooty flame due to a high carbon concentration.

Aliphatic compounds however means straigh-chain compounds and therefore burn depending on the functional group attached to it but I wouldnt specifically say they give off a smoky flame. Sooty/smoky is usually reserved for aromatic compounds.
Reply 2
coolasice

Aliphatic compounds however means straigh-chain compounds and therefore burn depending on the functional group attached to it but I wouldnt specifically say they give off a smoky flame. Sooty/smoky is usually reserved for aromatic compounds.

THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been searching for the answer for over an hour.
Reply 3
coolasice

The functional group in the context of my question is OH, I've only just realised it was supposed to be for a particular function group.
Reply 4
Aromatic compounds burn with a sooty flame.
Reply 5
Original post by Sehsb
Aromatic compounds burn with a sooty flame.

This thread is over 4 years old, a bit late.
Original post by Phichi
This thread is over 4 years old, a bit late.

It's the boredom of Christmas ...
can a aliphatic compound burn with smoky flame??
Original post by Hira chouhdry
can a aliphatic compound burn with smoky flame??

Yes. Specifically, alkynes burn with a very Sooty flame sooty_sam_22.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest