The Student Room Group

Local election results - rejection of Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
Are you really discounting the council elections but signalling that the traditionall low turn out but also proportional prepresentative EU elections will be more relevant? Gosh!

I don't think that it will be it's normal low turnout.
Mr Churchill... the election results are in and there has been a 20% swing towards the Nazi party. Ah... a clear message that the people want us to declare war on Germany ASAP. How do you know when a Brexiteer talks *******s? You see his lips move.
Original post by jameswhughes
UKIP have completely fallen apart, and it seems like they weren’t running in a lot of places anyway, given that all the “spoiled ballot” pictures are of Lib/Lab/Con choices only - if you do want Brexit you don’t have anyone to vote for.

I think there’s another backlash brewing, we’ll start to see it unravel at the European elections...

More total *******s. My voting paper had two Labs and two Cons. Never have 48% (now closer to 55%) of the population been so disenfranchised. Which pro Brexit party do you want?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
More total *******s. My voting paper had two Labs and two Cons. Never have 48% (now closer to 55%) of the population been so disenfranchised. Which pro Brexit party do you want?

They’re both effectively remain parties given that neither can be trusted to deliver Brexit.
Original post by ColinDent
I don't think that it will be it's normal low turnout.

Why do you say that? Voting on Brexit lines in the council elections was pointless yet some did it. Voting for a leave party to represent you in the European Elections says nothing. It changes nothing. All it does is give gravy train salaries to people who will do nothing to represent your views in the European Parliament - a bit like Farage has been enjoying for the last several years. We seem to forget that despite his hatred of the EU, he has been drawing a very tidy salary from them in return for more or less nothing to the people who voted for him. I call that hypocrisy.
Original post by ByEeek
Why do you say that? Voting on Brexit lines in the council elections was pointless yet some did it. Voting for a leave party to represent you in the European Elections says nothing. It changes nothing. All it does is give gravy train salaries to people who will do nothing to represent your views in the European Parliament - a bit like Farage has been enjoying for the last several years. We seem to forget that despite his hatred of the EU, he has been drawing a very tidy salary from them in return for more or less nothing to the people who voted for him. I call that hypocrisy.

European elections are always fairly pointless, but at least voting for the Brexit party is one way of showing a rejection of both Labour and Conservatives and that you want to leave the EU.
European elections are always fairly pointless, but at least voting for the Brexit party is one way of showing a rejection of both Labour and Conservatives and that you want to leave the EU.

They really aren't. It is the people you vote for in the European elections that represent your views in Europe. All those people saying that the EU is a bunch of unelected bureaucrats are talking out of the backsides. Our elected government propose legislation along with other elected governments. The commission work out how to implement it and then the directly elected parliament votes on it. And we have done really well out of the EU parliament. No more are we considered the dirty man of Europe and no more do you see turds floating by our beaches. To say nothing of human rights and privacy.
Original post by ByEeek
They really aren't. It is the people you vote for in the European elections that represent your views in Europe. All those people saying that the EU is a bunch of unelected bureaucrats are talking out of the backsides. Our elected government propose legislation along with other elected governments. The commission work out how to implement it and then the directly elected parliament votes on it. And we have done really well out of the EU parliament. No more are we considered the dirty man of Europe and no more do you see turds floating by our beaches. To say nothing of human rights and privacy.

It’s a massive, bureaucratic and completely alien institution to most people across Europe. How many people can name their MEPs? If you vote for someone else instead, what can they change?

Do we really need the European Parliament to pass some laws about cleaning the beach? I’m sure the British government could do that itself.
Original post by ByEeek

It will show the EU, and more importantly our government and parliament the disdain with which we hold the whole charade that has been played out ever since we voted to leave European Union.
To vote for a remain- centric party really would be a waste of a vote for myself and the millions of others that like myself do not wish to be part of a German led superstate

Voting for the Brexit Party is a surefire way to, both in the short and long term, make our leaving the EU less likely, as they sabotage the Tories' more realistic efforts to Leave with unattainable promises of unicorns.
Original post by anarchism101
Voting for the Brexit Party is a surefire way to, both in the short and long term, make our leaving the EU less likely, as they sabotage the Tories' more realistic efforts to Leave with unattainable promises of unicorns.

The Conservatives had their chance and have squandered the last three years, Labour still don’t have a position on Brexit and everyone else is solidly remain.
The Conservatives had their chance and have squandered the last three years, Labour still don’t have a position on Brexit and everyone else is solidly remain.

May attempted 3 times to get the Withdrawal Agreement through. It was the DUP and ERG, who claim to love Brexit so much, who kept scuppering it and thus de facto voting to stay in.
They’re both effectively remain parties given that neither can be trusted to deliver Brexit.

No... but they both support it. My ballot paper had two Cons and two Labs... Any remainer was effectively disenfranchised.
The leavers (con and lab) are going to get their bottoms kicked even more... no wonder they fear the EU elections.
It’s a massive, bureaucratic and completely alien institution to most people across Europe. How many people can name their MEPs? If you vote for someone else instead, what can they change?

Do we really need the European Parliament to pass some laws about cleaning the beach? I’m sure the British government could do that itself.

Just in case you haven't noticed... the British government seems barely capable of wiping its own arse recently.
Original post by QE2
The only parties to have gained seats in the elections are parties that are expressly anti-Brexit.
Coincidence?

Not really, independents also gained by large amounts, and many of those are pro Brexit.
There wasn’t really a Brexit option on the ballot in most places, and UKIP is a nasty piece of work nowadays which most people wouldn’t touch. And with regards to the Lib Dem ‘surge’, if you look at it closely, they didn’t really get a hugely greater number of votes than last time, but rather benefitted from a lower turnout.

Agreed to a point. But how many people can name their mp or councillor? We need the EU because all of us benefit from it in more ways than we imagine. It affects us all everyday of the year and generally in a positive way. Least we not forget that we were at war with Europe only 80 years ago. Together we stand. Divided we fall.

We didn’t defeat the Nazis by ourselves. We won’t be successful in a world dominated by alliances if we try to go it alone. Brexit is a huge f you to the world.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed to a point. But how many people can name their mp or councillor? We need the EU because all of us benefit from it in more ways than we imagine. It affects us all everyday of the year and generally in a positive way. Least we not forget that we were at war with Europe only 80 years ago. Together we stand. Divided we fall.

We didn’t defeat the Nazis by ourselves. We won’t be successful in a world dominated by alliances if we try to go it alone. Brexit is a huge f you to the world.

Fair point, however the US and commonwealth countries didn't try to make our laws.
The EU are like FIFA used to be, opaque and above the law because they are the law ( the EU not FIFA in this example) , you name me any member the executive committee that make the decisions on what laws will be debated and therefore passed within the European Parliament, too many grey suits making too many important decisions for my liking.
Brexiteers... all happy to gang up calling us remoaners when you had thug rule and a guaranteed victory. The cat was in the bag... but now it bites back and where are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending