The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

struggling to know where to apply to tbh, but have my heart set on journalism, AS grades were ABC
Hey,

I currently study Music Journalism at the University of Huddersfield. The level at which the journalism modules are taught within the uni are of a very high standard. Each member of staff is incredibly helpful and I personally find their methods of teaching to be engaging. The Huddersfield area is also incredibly friendly and being only a very short train journey to both Manchester and Leeds, the options for placements are incredible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey, I'm not sure if you have made up your mind or not but Bournemouth University have a great reputation for their Journalism course, more info here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm a Media student at BU myself :smile:
Alice
Original post by Hjslade1455
struggling to know where to apply to tbh, but have my heart set on journalism, AS grades were ABC
Hi just a quick question if I was applying to study journalism next year what would be better for me to study this year, RMPS or media ?
Hey,
I would say it depends on what sector of Journalism you are more interested in - if you are more interested in film/sport/news journalism then I would say Media is a good shout. However, I would also check to see the course spec of Media and RMPS because they can differ slightly in the angle they take at teaching you.
Hope that helps?
Alice
Original post by Scarlett1717
Hi just a quick question if I was applying to study journalism next year what would be better for me to study this year, RMPS or media ?
Thank you, great help! Ahh just wish I could do both. I’ll check the course and ask the teachers aswell. Can you think of any other useful subjects to have for journalism ?
Hiya :smile: anyone applying for journalism at Sheffield, Leicester, Portsmouth or Sheffield Hallam???

Sheffield’s my first choice + I haven’t heard back from them and was wondering if anyone has an offer ?
It depends on how long ago you have made the applications.
Sent off my application on the 20th of November
Original post by Bethia54729

Still too early to receive answers from all Universities.

Good luck! I’m currently studying journalism at Sheffield !!
Original post by Lo2244
Good luck! I’m currently studying journalism at Sheffield !!

Thanks !!! Really hoping for an offer - were you offered ABB?

Last year I had my 1st offer (out of 4 choice) - a month after submitting my applications, but had to wait for 3 months for receiving the last choice.

Anyway I live in Portsmouth. It is a great city for student to live in.
(edited 3 years ago)

I was offered ABB and it stayed that way, however a lot of other people had there grades offers lowered due to COVID.
Reply 15
Hiya :smile: anyone applying for journalism at Sheffield, Leicester, Portsmouth or Sheffield Hallam???

Sheffield’s my first choice + I haven’t heard back from them and was wondering if anyone has an offer ?

Ive applied for uni of Sheffield too!!

Original post by GatoMessi
Last year I had my 1st offer (out of 4 choice) - a month after submitting my applications, but had to wait for 3 months for receiving the last choice.

Hi @Bethia54729,

Great to hear you're looking to study at Sheffield! I just want to reassure you that it is totally normal to have not heard back from all of your universities yet. Different departments and universities will have different procedures and policies for processing applications, so you will likely receive decisions at different times from each of your choices (as @GatoMessi has already said).

The UCAS equal consideration deadline has now been extended until the 29th of January, and some courses may not make any decisions until this deadline has passed. January is one of the busiest months for admissions teams, with a lot of applications to process! All of your choices must reply by a specific deadline, which you can view in UCAS Track - but many hear back before this!

If you have any other questions about studying in Sheffield just let me know! I'm a recent graduate so are happy to talk to you about my experiences. You can also message current Journalism students via our Chat to Us platform - both Ismaeel and Tansy are in their second year of BA Journalism.

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2019)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2020)

Hello @Bethia54729,

Happy New year!
It is great to hear you are considering Sheffield Hallam to study Journalism. If you are looking to find out more information about the Journalism course be sure to book onto one of our Course Open Days which are happening in February, March and April. These are a great opportunity to gain more of an outlook on the course at Hallam and have a chance to speak to students and academics related to your course and the university as a whole, there will also be opportunities to speak to other services at the university. You can find more information and book onto an event on our website.

If you would just like to speak to one of our students about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield then please use our chat to a student platform, they will be happy to answer any of your questions, or speak to our current students on @hallamstudents.

Let us know if you have any further questions. :h:

- Rachel (Official Sheffield Hallam University TSR Rep)

Hello!

I'm happy to hear you've applied to Portsmouth :smile: We have a virtual open day this Saturday (you can book a place through this link if you are interested https://www.port.ac.uk/study/open-days/ug-open-day-9-jan. ) where you can speak to students, look at the city, watch course talks specifically about Journalism and more!

Journalism offers are usually BBB or BBC (more info about our course is on this link https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-journalism). If you attend our open day you'll be able to speak to students studying Journalism who can give you a first hand view :smile:

Original post by GatoMessi

Anyway I live in Portsmouth. It is a great city for student to live in.

As @GatoMessi said, offers can take a while so sadly you just have to wait, especially as different universities will process applications differently. The UCAS application deadline has been extended (it was the 15th it's now the 29th Jan) which will possibly affect hearing back from applications. :smile:

Please don't hesitate to ask any other general or more specific questions about Portsmouth :smile:

Best of luck! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Is anyone here studying Journalism at Uni of Sheffield 2021? I have just firmed my offer

Latest

Trending

Trending