The Student Room Group

Question about en suite accommodation at ucl

i'm starting at ucl this year as an undergraduate and in terms of accommodation i want to apply for a self catered en suite. how likely do you think it is to get my preferred kind of accommodation? is self catered en suite highly requested or not really? i have a personal reason as to why i'd prefer that sort of accommodation but i'm not in the right circumstances to state it when i apply so, any thoughts?
Original post by andreiartur
i'm starting at ucl this year as an undergraduate and in terms of accommodation i want to apply for a self catered en suite. how likely do you think it is to get my preferred kind of accommodation? is self catered en suite highly requested or not really? i have a personal reason as to why i'd prefer that sort of accommodation but i'm not in the right circumstances to state it when i apply so, any thoughts?

Ensuites can be in demand (particularly if there isn't many to go around), so if you have a specific reason for wanting one, it might be a good idea to email the accommodation office and tell them.

If you have a medical need, let the accomodation team know asap- they may need evidence. Otherwise I wouldn't hold your breath- most of UCL's accomodation for first years is shared rooms.
Reply 3
thank you both, my reason isn't as big as a medical issue, but it is that i'm a transgender dude who hasn't had top surgery yet so i gotta wear a binder everytime i'm around people and having to share one bathroom with a handful of people won't be easy then. i'd have to put my binder on each time i need to use the bathroom and you're not supposed to wear it that much bc it can damage your ribs and back. plus a lot more inconveniences from being trans that are too personal to get into. thing is i do this whole getting into uni thing with a uni counselor bc i'm from another country and she needs to see everything i write in my application, but i'm not out to her as trans so it's kind of an issue. maybe with some luck i'll manage to explain my situation without her seeing. thank you again!!
Original post by jelly1000
If you have a medical need, let the accomodation team know asap- they may need evidence. Otherwise I wouldn't hold your breath- most of UCL's accomodation for first years is shared rooms.

Original post by PhoenixFortune
Ensuites can be in demand (particularly if there isn't many to go around), so if you have a specific reason for wanting one, it might be a good idea to email the accommodation office and tell them.
thank you both, my reason isn't as big as a medical issue, but it is that i'm a transgender dude who hasn't had top surgery yet so i gotta wear a binder everytime i'm around people and having to share one bathroom with a handful of people won't be easy then. i'd have to put my binder on each time i need to use the bathroom and you're not supposed to wear it that much bc it can damage your ribs and back. plus a lot more inconveniences from being trans that are too personal to get into. thing is i do this whole getting into uni thing with a uni counselor bc i'm from another country and she needs to see everything i write in my application, but i'm not out to her as trans so it's kind of an issue. maybe with some luck i'll manage to explain my situation without her seeing. thank you again!!

Why can't you email the university directly yourself? I think that your situation would be enough to be higher priority for an ensuite, so definitely let the accommodation office know if you feel comfortable doing so.

The accomodation application and anything you say to the accomodation team at UCL is seperate to the university application. Your counsellor won't see either so I would get onto the accomodation team asap otherwise you are in danger of being allocated a shared bedroom as well as a shared bathroom.

Quick Reply

Latest