The Student Room Group

Donald Trump set for state visit in June.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z-hog
Like him, dislike him or just watch, Trump has been quite useful at blowing the cover of respectability by large parts of the media and that can only be a good thing. The positioning against him is unprecedented, several institutions caught peddling a distortion of reality like never seen before. Fake news destroy the credibility of any purveyor and many of them have been at it in no uncertain terms.

It's very apparent that you're just repeating partisan cliches rather than basing this on any actual analysis of media, as your choice of example, makes clear.

Everybody believes Trump decreed a 'Muslim ban', don't they? We have heard and read that a million times in every reputable news source

Nope, the more common media term has actually been "travel ban". This is the standard term used by the BBC, the Guardian, CNN, and the Washington Post, just to name a few. Even Al Jazeera uses it. The handful who've gone with "Muslim ban", like the Independent, tend to put it in quote marks.

The extent to which it has been considered as Muslim ban is entirely down to the fact that that's what Trump initially proposed, back in his election campaign. It was only after taking office that it became apparent that such a blanket ban would be neither practical nor legal, and so over the course of a few trial and error efforts due to rejection in the courts, the proposed ban was gradually changed. Indeed, the main reasons the initial executive orders were blocked by the courts was precisely due to the fact that Trump's clear intent was to get as close to a Muslim ban as he could.
Reply 61
Original post by anarchism101
Nope, the more common media term has actually been "travel ban". This is the standard term used by the BBC, the Guardian, CNN, and the Washington Post, just to name a few. Even Al Jazeera uses it. The handful who've gone with "Muslim ban", like the Independent, tend to put it in quote marks.

Trump's Muslim Ban | Amnesty Needs Your Help | amnesty.org.uk‎

That's the title for the link that follows:

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/blogs/ether/trumps-new-travel-ban-cannot-stand-any-form?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LTX9-qH4gIVTbHtCh0Wpw5TEAAYASAAEgLo-PD_BwE

Neatly done, al-Jazeera do the same thing here under the title of Muslim Ban News:

https://www.aljazeera.com/topics/spotlight/trump-muslims-ban.html

As for the WaPo and CNN, it would be far too easy to find them at it. I saw a poll recently where something like 40% of Yanks still believe Trump 'colluded' with Putin to win the election. Any idea of where that delusion comes from, it's not even as if any credible news source ever stated there had been some? Do you believe he colluded with the Russians too?
Reply 62
Executive Order 13769, titled Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, often referred to as the Muslim ban or the travel ban, was an executive order by United States President Donald Trump. Except for the extent to which it was blocked by various courts, it was in effect from January 27, 2017, until March 16, 2017, when it was superseded by Executive Order 13780. Executive Order 13769 lowered the number of refugees to be admitted into the United States in 2017 to 50,000, suspended the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for 120 days, suspended the entry of Syrian refugees indefinitely, directed some cabinet secretaries to suspend entry of those whose countries do not meet adjudication standards under U.S. immigration law for 90 days, and included exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Homeland Security lists these countries as Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. More than 700 travelers were detained, and up to 60,000 visas were "provisionally revoked".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13769

That's not a travel ban, to refer to it as such implies that nobody will be allowed to travel. Misleading.

Don't know what page you're reading, but that link goes to a page with the headline "Trump’s new travel ban cannot stand in any form".

Also, in what world are Amnesty "the media"?

Neatly done, al-Jazeera do the same thing here under the title of Muslim Ban News:

https://www.aljazeera.com/topics/spotlight/trump-muslims-ban.html

And check the headlines - the recent ones overwhelmingly refer to a "travel ban". More precisely, if you go back through the record, "Muslim ban" is the more common terminology up to about September 2017, when there's a noticeable shift to "travel ban".

Also, the very fact that we can cite contrasting examples here itself disproves your whole claim.

As for the WaPo and CNN, it would be far too easy to find them at it.

Seriously? You're really going with "I'm not doing it because it's too easy"? Are you 12 years old?

I saw a poll recently where something like 40% of Yanks still believe Trump 'colluded' with Putin to win the election. Any idea of where that delusion comes from, it's not even as if any credible news source ever stated there had been some? Do you believe he colluded with the Russians too?

"Collusion", being a non-legal term, is essentially subjective. Frankly though, I'm less concerned about his foreign corruptions than about his various domestic corruptions, illegalities, and general incompetence.
Reply 64
Seriously? You're really going with "I'm not doing it because it's too easy"? Are you 12 years old?

No, you sound like a 12 year old with the pretence that 'the media' never tried to imply that Trump's travel restrictions amounted to a Muslim ban. CNN and the rest of the junk media had hundreds or more of people on doing just that, including some of the most public tosspots in the land, same for all the rest of the network. Only a child would pretend there isn't an organized media campaign designed to attack Trump from every angle.

"Collusion", being a non-legal term, is essentially subjective. Frankly though, I'm less concerned about his foreign corruptions than about his various domestic corruptions, illegalities, and general incompetence.

And that's what it all boils down to, you don't care if there are swathes of the populations walking around blurting and believing everything thrown at them only because it sounds like music to their ears. The Collusion hoax was always a naked attempt at sabotaging a democratically elected president, that much has now been demonstrated and the investigation into the investigation is going to be much more fun.

I know you don't care, nor do any other Trumpophobes.
Reply 65
Don't know what page you're reading, but that link goes to a page with the headline "Trump’s new travel ban cannot stand in any form".

I know, that's why I had to put the title in: Trump's Muslim Ban. When you click on it, you get that page without mention of one. Lots of of other links are link that, the Muslim Ban mysteriously vanish when you click on them because they have lawyers.

US Democrats introduce bill to repeal Trump's travel ban

Democrats introduce bill to end Trump's ban on travellers to the US from several Muslim-majority countries.

From the al-J link, anyone reading that and nothing else on the matter would believe everyone in those countries had been banned from the US. That's the way they want it to look but not an honest representation of the real world.
I think it's a good thing that The Great Orange One is coming. 😈👌
Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is something easily contracted by anyone exposed to the MSM but often lies dorment in people undiagnosed.
Once he is here people affected by it won't be able to help themselves raging, thus alerting anyone who knows them that they are infected. Always better to know I think.
That way saves saying the wrong thing and wrecking a friendship.😁👍
Original post by Just my opinion
I think it's a good thing that The Great Orange One is coming. 😈👌
Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is something easily contracted by anyone exposed to the MSM but often lies dorment in people undiagnosed.
Once he is here people affected by it won't be able to help themselves raging, thus alerting anyone who knows them that they are infected. Always better to know I think.
That way saves saying the wrong thing and wrecking a friendship.😁👍

Thank you for this very useful expert guidance. I am now preparing myself to defend myself against my dormant TDS genes. :eek4:
Honestly whether people like or dislike him either way he will be coming. It's not like we have a say or can affect what happens. We should just let whatever happens happen and not interfere.
He's gonna come and there will be protests just like last time. I just wanna see the new version of the trump balloon
Reply 70
It's never going to happen but were Jezza to become PM and Trump re-elected... Nah, Corbyn will never be PM.
Reply 71
Original post by z-hog
No, you sound like a 12 year old with the pretence that 'the media' never tried to imply that Trump's travel restrictions amounted to a Muslim ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0q16V14cVs

Here you go.

I mean Trump himself called his proposal a Muslim ban, but no you're right it's all just some big media conspiracy out to get you.
Reply 72
Original post by DSilva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0q16V14cVs

Here you go.

I mean Trump himself called his proposal a Muslim ban, but no you're right it's all just some big media conspiracy out to get you.

Very good, thanks for that. Would you care to point out exactly where is it he talks about a Muslim ban, as mentioned in CNN's title?
Reply 73
https://www.facebook.com/TuckerCarlsonTonight/videos/424760348325120/?q=tucker%20carlson&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Just look at them, all reading from the same card in their peddling of this parallel universe they want people to believe in... That's the Democratic media complex, they all get their order of the day dropped on their editorial desks first thing in the morning and faithfully parrot them all day long. They're a penny a dozen, compilations like these. It's not illegal but it's good to know it as much as knowing that Fox speak from a conservative perspective because that is their customer base. They actually openly state it, CNN and the rest pretend to be very offended at the suggestion that they're biased towards Trump.

Jim Acosta (some bozo dressed up by CNN as a journo) says in the link that Trump 'continues to hide the Mueller report', which is pretty much what we can call 'fake news' without hesitation. Trump is absolutely right, this type of manipulative propaganda masquerading as impartial and objective journalism is an enemy of the people. They destroy the credibility of the whole journalistic scene, these characters.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog

From the al-J link, anyone reading that and nothing else on the matter would believe everyone in those countries had been banned from the US. That's the way they want it to look but not an honest representation of the real world.

You mean, if they only read the headline, they'd come away with an overly simplistic understanding of the story? Shock Horror!

Headlines are always simplified, that's the point of headlines. You can't convey all the nuance of a news story in less than a sentence, so they have to provide a title to get readers' interest.
Reply 75
You mean, if they only read the headline, they'd come away with an overly simplistic understanding of the story? Shock Horror!

Headlines are always simplified, that's the point of headlines. You can't convey all the nuance of a news story in less than a sentence, so they have to provide a title to get readers' interest.

Nah, it would be too naive to believe that.
Due to the large scale protests planned, Trump will be largely closed off from the public during this state visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending