The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into a top class uni for LLM

Hey everyone, I would really appreciate any advice on the following:I am currently enrolled at a university that is based outside of the UK, however as I would like to carry on with my studies in the UK and transfers to UK law universities from abroad are impossible (at least based on my research) I found this accelerated LLB degree at the University of South Wales and a couple of others like Staffordshire and Northampton, where i would be eligible to apply. However, my concern is if I have any chances of being accepted into a let's say Russell group university (doesn't have to be Oxbridge or LSE but still solid) to carry on with LLM when I would have an LLB degree from one of the above mentioned universities... I am aware that they are not particularly top but on the other hand, South Wales ranks among top 50 law schools and also had good student reviews so i was thinking of trying to get a first class degree there and then moving on to do my postgraduate degree elsewhere. Does anyone have a similar problem or experience? I will be really grateful for any advice or suggestions! :smile:
You would still get into Oxbridge or LSE potentially, presuming your LLB grade were sufficiently high.
Reply 2
so you think grades are what matters the most? what about things like work experience etc that might also help along with good grades from a not so good uni
Original post by Notoriety
You would still get into Oxbridge or LSE potentially, presuming your LLB grade were sufficiently high.
Reply 3
Can I ask what you plan to do after an LLM? I have an LLM from a RG uni (top 20) but I can tell you now that hasn't made me more employable in the UK.
Hi @samirkam97
If you need any more information about the Law courses run at Staffordshire or general enquiries about living costs etc. feel free to get in touch via [email protected]
Thanks, Shaun
Original post by samirkam97
so you think grades are what matters the most? what about things like work experience etc that might also help along with good grades from a not so good uni

Work experience can help with postgraduate research, as it tends to mean having worked as a lawyer for a few years. Just shadowing a barrister for a week or whatever is not gonna make any difference to your application, don't worry.

Yes, worry about getting high grades and then you will stand to be competitive to the elite LLM courses you mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending