The Student Room Group

Is medicine overhyped?

ngl guys i feel asif the hype to get into med is overplayed, espec with all the new med schools, my friends who got BBB got into ARU and UoB med school. Its not that tough, just requires some work xp and chat crap on the right stuff and youll be fine

A fourth year

Scroll to see replies

lmao igy, but alot of med skwls hand out and offer to around 1/3 of applicants, i.e. hyms who take in 1/4- its way tougher to get into, say, engineering at imperial, or finance in LSE etc
Whose your friend?
Original post by sucoutuuglyqank
ngl guys i feel asif the hype to get into med is overplayed, espec with all the new med schools, my friends who got BBB got into ARU and UoB med school. Its not that tough, just requires some work xp and chat crap on the right stuff and youll be fine

A fourth year
how about you gimmie your name and ill ask my friend about you

Original post by tufftybluey
Whose your friend?
A slightly childish reply from yourself, I’m just intrigued as I know people with higher A level grades rejected from both universities so am surprised that your friend got in unless they had a degree on top.
how about you gimmie your name and ill ask my friend about you
BBB?
I highly doubt that they would accept your friend with those grades for medicine. Especially Birmingham.
How did you practice for your MMI ?
Original post by Yes please call
BBB?
I highly doubt that they would accept your friend with those grades for medicine. Especially Birmingham.
How did you practice for your MMI ?

They were most likely graduates.
I mean yeah I guess?
At one applicant day I was at, I'm pretty sure that they said 1 in 2 people get an offer from any medical school in the UK or like 1 in 2 get in or something like that
Original post by AzureCeleste
I mean yeah I guess?
At one applicant day I was at, I'm pretty sure that they said 1 in 2 people get an offer from any medical school in the UK or like 1 in 2 get in or something like that

It's 1 in 3. And the people that apply to Medicine tend to have/ be predicted AAA in most cases.
yh you have to be predicted it but you dont have to actually get em, most likely aab abb will get you in
yh you have to be predicted it but you dont have to actually get em, most likely aab abb will get you in

Rubbish - the only chance you have got of getting in most schools with aab is if you have a very good interview score and others have missed their grades. Show me some stats of people who have got in with Abb without contextual flags.
Alot of my friends in my year and who went into other unis missed dtheir offer, granted, we came from a brilliant school, but nontheless.

And sure, empirical data is useless blah blah... but if it happens with around 5 of my friends, who had no ECs, then itll happen everywhere

Dentistry is the one that rejects you if you miss your grades even by a single
Original post by Laycity
Rubbish - the only chance you have got of getting in most schools with aab is if you have a very good interview score and others have missed their grades. Show me some stats of people who have got in with Abb without contextual flags.

A very small number of applicants, who were predicted AAA, get admitted with less if spaces arise. The vast majority of medical students have AAA or above. Medicine is competitive; I don't agree with those that try to claim otherwise. To focus on a few cases doesn't quite represent the realities for the many across the country I'm afraid.
(edited 4 years ago)
Its really not as competitive as you think, about 2/5 get an offer, i know UoB gives almost twice as many offers as places

theyre opening all of these new schools, like ARU and Aston, and the type of people admitted are really low quality. Aston admitted 34/100people this year who missed their grades.

I suggest all medics realise that there are far far more competitve degrees, e.g. econ or engineering out there
Original post by Gastroepiploic
A very small number of applicants, who were predicted AAA, get admitted with less if spaces arise. The vast majority of medical students have AAA or above. Medicine is competitive; I don't agree with those that try to claim otherwise. To focus on a few cases doesn't quite represent the realities for the many across the country I'm afraid.
Reply 14
Original post by Gastroepiploic
It's 1 in 3. And the people that apply to Medicine tend to have/ be predicted AAA in most cases.

I agree, in the last cycle there were 22340 applicants for 7500 places available in the uk.

Individual Uni's often make it sound much more competitive by saying the ratio of applicants to places is 10:1, but that's only because each applicant applies to 4 choices.
Reply 15
Ngl it depends... in comparison to any other course it is competitive, like you’ll get 6000 people applying for the same thing but only 400 get places, but it also depends where you wanna go, if it’s a Russel group it’s a lot more competitive
Reply 16
Yeah, thats what I meant. As in it depends where you apply
Reply 17
Ohh I didn’t mean it like that but in your reply before you also said technically they are so? You agreed?
Reply 18
Original post by dx31
Ngl it depends... in comparison to any other course it is competitive, like you’ll get 6000 people applying for the same thing but only 400 get places, but it also depends where you wanna go, if it’s a Russel group it’s a lot more competitive

Russell Group makes no difference whatsoever to competition ratios for medical schools.
Reply 19
Original post by meddad
Russell Group makes no difference whatsoever to competition ratios for medical schools.

Ohh sorry I didn’t know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending