The Student Room Group

Ielts for UK universities

Does IELTS score counted in UK universities or i will have to take IELTS UKVI for UK seperately..Does some university consider if IELTS is taken from UKVI approved centre.....pls help
IELTS tests can only be taken at recognised centres. Unis will tell you what scores they need.
Original post by Hippierajput
Does IELTS score counted in UK universities or i will have to take IELTS UKVI for UK seperately..Does some university consider if IELTS is taken from UKVI approved centre.....pls help
There are different test in IELTS for UK universities which is know as IELTS UKVI (UK Visa Immigration) ...Ielts and Ielts UKVI are same ..its just Ielts ukvi fees goes to UK immigration or so...thats y i was asking....
Original post by alleycat393
IELTS tests can only be taken at recognised centres. Unis will tell you what scores they need.
These are indeed different - the content of the IELTS test in itself is the same, but the administrative process of ID check will be different in the UKVI one, built for purposes of immigration (which means that it is offered in far less centres and dates, although the cost is more of less the same).

If you are an EU student, you don't need the IELTS UKVI (for now, at least).

If you are non-EU: Some (most?) universities have an agreement with the UK government and they can act as your sponsor. In this case they will clearly state in their English requirements that "IELTS Academic" is what they need (and they may even explicitly say that you don't have to do the UKVI version). However, if you are not sure of where to apply, I guess doing the UKVI version won't hurt and is the safest the way to go. (Doing a standard academic IELTS in a centre that also does the UKVI version won't help, as it's all about whether you did the proper ID check. If the University asks for UKVI, then you must provide that.).

I hope this helps.

(edited 4 years ago)
There are different test in IELTS for UK universities which is know as IELTS UKVI (UK Visa Immigration) ...Ielts and Ielts UKVI are same ..its just Ielts ukvi fees goes to UK immigration or so...thats y i was asking....

Never heard of this. As far as I know the test is the same. If you’re coming as a student you need to meet the unis requirements. They will then issue you a sponsorship certificate which will get you your visa. You don’t need a separate test for immigration.
(edited 4 years ago)
Here: https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/take-ielts/which-ielts-test/ukvi

It does say that all British Unis are accepting the standard IELTS Academic.

Never heard of this. As far as I know the test is the same. If you’re coming as a student you need to meet the unis requirements. They will then issue you a sponsorship certificate which will get you your visa. You don’t need a separate test for immigration.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks but your point is no different from what I've said above. Good luck!
Original post by CarolinaVM
Here: https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/take-ielts/which-ielts-test/ukvi

It does say that all British Unis are accepting the standard IELTS Academic.
It was just to show that OP has a point when mentioning IELTS for UKVI as a different test (it's a different booking system, with different locations and dates). When you apply for a standard IELTS Academic they will have a warning saying that if you later find out that you should have booked it as an IELTS for UKVI then there is nothing they can do about it.

But you're right in that it currently looks like no British Uni needs the IELTS for UKVI, they all act as sponsors. So OP should be fine with a standard Academic one if they are applying to England.

Thanks but your point is no different from what I've said above. Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok so you may want to quote the OP instead of me and let them know. I haven't asked for this info or need it :smile:
It was just to show that OP has a point when mentioning IELTS for UKVI as a different test (it's a different booking system, with different locations and dates). When you apply for a standard IELTS Academic they will have a warning saying that if you later find out that you should have booked it as an IELTS for UKVI then there is nothing they can do about it.

But you're right in that it currently looks like no British Uni needs the IELTS for UKVI, they all act as sponsors. So OP should be fine with a standard Academic one if they are applying to England.
That's fair enough, not quoting you here. 😉
These are indeed different - the content of the IELTS test in itself is the same, but the administrative process of ID check will be different in the UKVI one, built for purposes of immigration (which means that it is offered in far less centres and dates, although the cost is more of less the same).

If you are an EU student, you don't need the IELTS UKVI (for now, at least).

If you are non-EU: Some (most?) universities have an agreement with the UK government and they can act as your sponsor. In this case they will clearly state in their English requirements that "IELTS Academic" is what they need (and they may even explicitly say that you don't have to do the UKVI version). However, if you are not sure of where to apply, I guess doing the UKVI version won't hurt and is the safest the way to go. (Doing a standard academic IELTS in a centre that also does the UKVI version won't help, as it's all about whether you did the proper ID check. If the University asks for UKVI, then you must provide that.).

I hope this helps.

thanks alot..it helped all my question...I did regular one and have scored above their asking band..i hope they accept it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending