The Student Room Group

I'm 2.1k words over my dissertation limit

Would i get marked a lot even though everything i've said is relevant? It doesn't say anything about it on my uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vennccc
Would i get marked a lot even though everything i've said is relevant? It doesn't say anything about it on my uni

lol, that's a fifth over the word count. 20%!! No, it won't get marked - they'll just stop reading at the word count. If you're so many words over, then it's practically certain that there's a lot of waffle and repetition in it, so you need to go back and EDIT - ruthlessly until you're under the word count.
I'm assuming the policy on word counts for your dissertation is going to be the same as the policy for your general assignments.

Best to check with your department though, it's definitely worth cutting down.
Reply 3
You need to cut it down, but you have nothing to worry about. Being over the word count and having to edit down is actually the ideal position to be in - far better than the reverse. You can almost always say the same things in less words. Just leave it a week and come back.
Original post by Vennccc

Quality over quantity. No matter how good it is, you could still simmer it down and make it even better.
Dissertation word counts are not strict at all, unlike what the previous user is saying I wouldn't worry, it's pretty common to see dissertations which are 5k words over the limit let alone 2k. If anything 2k over the limit is roughly what you're expected to do.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Dissertation word counts are not strict at all, unlike what the previous user is saying I wouldn't worry, it's pretty common to see dissertations which are 5k words over the limit let alone 2k. If anything 2k over the limit is roughly what you're expected to do.

I don't know what university that is, then?! 50% over the word count and no-one bats an eyelid. Really...

For instance, this is a randomly selected undergraduate tripos from Cambridge, HPS. The word count for the dissertation is clearly 5,000-12,000 words and it says 'the word count is strictly enforced'.

https://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/students/partii-guide/dissertation

Other universities I have come across have similar policies.

Thus, where are these universities where you can go 50% over the word limit and it's 'what you're expected to do'? I think that's utter nonsense.
(edited 4 years ago)

Thank you! I just have about 6 different sections under the literature review and each one is different from the others that's why i am over the limit by 2k words, and not due to repetition i just hope i don't get marked down or fail due to the word count like some of the users above said

Which university are you referring to? I've always heard of some kind of cut-off point, whether it's X number of words over/under, or a % of words over/under. The markers don't have time to read through vast amounts more than is expected.

The word count is usually 10,000 at undergraduate level, so if a leeway exists, I doubt it would be more than 10% (or 1000 words) over. Maybe you're thinking of master's dissertations, which have a higher word limit and therefore a greater % leeway?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Which university are you referring to? I've always heard of some kind of cut-off point, whether it's X number of words over/under, or a % of words over/under. The markers don't have time to read through vast amounts more than is expected.

The word count is usually 10,000 at undergraduate level, so if a leeway exists, I doubt it would be more than 10% (or 1000 words) over. Maybe you're thinking of master's dissertations, which have a higher word limit and therefore a greater % leeway?

You still couldn't go over a masters or PhD dissertation by anywhere near that amount and not be penalised.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't know what university that is, then?! 50% over the word count and no-one bats an eyelid. Really...

I've seen it at plenty of universities, not just mine. Some topics necessitate more text than others, and industrial sponsored projects tend to require an awful lot more. The longest I've personally seen on a 10k requirement was 19k which was a continuation of their supervisor's pet project and was highly repetitive but required a lot of text each time. I've also heard of an industrial project which was 21k as the employer required a lot of detail.

Most people reading them won't read the large majority of them so it doesn't make too much difference between 10k and 20k.
I've seen it at plenty of universities, not just mine. Some topics necessitate more text than others, and industrial sponsored projects tend to require an awful lot more. The longest I've personally seen on a 10k requirement was 19k which was a continuation of their supervisor's pet project and was highly repetitive but required a lot of text each time. I've also heard of an industrial project which was 21k as the employer required a lot of detail.

Most people reading them won't read the large majority of them so it doesn't make too much difference between 10k and 20k.

I'm sorry, but this is total nonsense. 'most people reading them won't read the vast majority'?! What in earth are you talking about? Do you think a final year undergrad dissertation is skim-read during a lunchtime or something? Do you think that they only read a few of them, and stick a finger in the air to guess the grade for the others?
Reply 12
Original post by Vennccc
Thank you! I just have about 6 different sections under the literature review and each one is different from the others that's why i am over the limit by 2k words, and not due to repetition i just hope i don't get marked down or fail due to the word count like some of the users above said

Nonsense.

I would fail a diss that was 2k over the limit, and so would everyone else in my dept.
Original post by gjd800
Nonsense.

I would fail a diss that was 2k over the limit, and so would everyone else in my dept.

Exactly.

TSR's advice from a 'forum helper' :facepalm:
Reply 14
Exactly.

TSR's advice from a 'forum helper' :facepalm:

Crazy. Just seen the 'most of it won't be read' quip. Bonkers. Dissertations are gonna take up most of my May.
Original post by gjd800
Crazy. Just seen the 'most of it won't be read' quip. Bonkers. Dissertations are gonna take up most of my May.

'Bonkers'. Great word :smile:

Poor you - May is the time of Marking, isn't it. Whilst the students are kicking their heels up getting pissed on White Lightening (showing my age), we're all stuck in a poorly ventilated room pulling faces at dubious unreferenced claims. Joy!
Reply 16
'Bonkers'. Great word :smile:

Poor you - May is the time of Marking, isn't it. Whilst the students are kicking their heels up getting pissed on White Lightening (showing my age), we're all stuck in a poorly ventilated room pulling faces at dubious unreferenced claims. Joy!

Yeah, my batch of 3rd years had theirs due in on the 30th April, so will need to make a start soon :laugh:

I don't mind it so much, but it takes me ages to properly read and mark one!
I literally have about 6 sections under my literature review, then discussion and interviews that also take a long of words, or i mean quotes from the interviewees, which i can't make shorter since they all support a point im trying to make and i am really not repeating myself, since every section discussess different problem related to my topic
Reply 18
You'll be penalised. Sorry, but it's true. 10% over and 10% under is common for dissertations.

Best thing to do is speak to the head of your department, and see what they say. I suspect you will be told to cut a chapter though.
Original post by Vennccc
I literally have about 6 sections under my literature review, then discussion and interviews that also take a long of words, or i mean quotes from the interviewees, which i can't make shorter since they all support a point im trying to make and i am really not repeating myself, since every section discussess different problem related to my topic

You seem very resistant to cutting it down. I know it's difficult when you've taken a lot of time over something, but you need to be brutal and self-critical. Does you lit review really need all 6 sections? Could a few be shortened or sections combined?

When there's a limit, we are never able to discuss all that we want to in an ideal world, so you have to compromise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending