The Student Room Group

Grade Requirements AQA GCE?

So I see on grade boundaries they have clearly stated how many marks were required in previous years e.g. Maths: E: P1 32, P2 30, P3 28
But does this mean you require 90 marks overall to get an E? Or does this mean you need to get an E on each paper? Or does it mean you need to have the Grades "add up" i.e. c = 3, d=2, e = 1 hence you can get a D an E and a U and pass but even if you had >90 points overall and had two Es and a U you would not get the E? as Ex2 = 2, U= 0, 2 + 0 = 2 , 2 < 3 therefore you don't get the E? I can't find anywhere that explains this?!?
Original post by EGA532
So I see on grade boundaries they have clearly stated how many marks were required in previous years e.g. Maths: E: P1 32, P2 30, P3 28
But does this mean you require 90 marks overall to get an E? Or does this mean you need to get an E on each paper? Or does it mean you need to have the Grades "add up" i.e. c = 3, d=2, e = 1 hence you can get a D an E and a U and pass but even if you had >90 points overall and had two Es and a U you would not get the E? as Ex2 = 2, U= 0, 2 + 0 = 2 , 2 < 3 therefore you don't get the E? I can't find anywhere that explains this?!?

They will be individual paper scores.
You should be wary of grade boundaries as they relate to that year and that paper only.
They are set and adjusted each year for the exact exam.

The overall mark takes weighting into account as some papers are more importnat than others.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
They will be individual paper scores.
You should be wary of grade boundaries as they relate to that year and that paper only.
They are set and adjusted each year for the exact exam.

The overall mark takes weighting into account as some papers are more importnat than others.

i.e. marks from paper 3 would be about 32/28 times more important if those were the grade boundaries so if I want a C, which is what I want then I can't just get 135/200 marks on the first two papers which would be the total marks you would need from each paper. i.e. I would probably want to balance what I learn from all three like the system intends.
They add up ur marks from all the papers, then look at the OVERALL grade boundary, this is for linear exams, the new a levels
Old modular AQA works by UMS and is a bit different
Reply 4
Original post by Switch01
They add up ur marks from all the papers, then look at the OVERALL grade boundary, this is for linear exams, the new a levels

OK, so is there harm in focusing on say P1 and 2 and neglecting P3 a bit? Or is that a bad idea witht the UMS system?
Original post by EGA532
OK, so is there harm in focusing on say P1 and 2 and neglecting P3 a bit? Or is that a bad idea witht the UMS system?

UMS You better be getting high grades in P1 and P2, itll be harder to pull it up if P3 is bad. For example
A* = 90 UMS A = 80 UMS B = 70 UMS
Lets say your aiming for an A, youll need to get 240/300 in total UMS to get an A
So even if you get A*s, 90 + 90 = 180
You will still need to get a C (60 UMS) minimum to get your A, and that is if you got the A*s to begin with.
Focus on all of them, idk how the tests are structured tho, what part of A level math is P1 P2 and P3?
Original post by EGA532

If youre gonna focus on p1 and p2, id recommend perfecting them, getting as close to the highest mark u can possibly get, then even if u get a C or D in paper 3, u can do alright, its managable in both UMS and Linear
Reply 7

If youre gonna focus on p1 and p2, id recommend perfecting them, getting as close to the highest mark u can possibly get, then even if u get a C or D in paper 3, u can do alright, its managable in both UMS and Linear

OK thank you, how many marks do you think I would need total though if I focused primarily on p1 and p2? If a evenly disributed C is typically 135 marks/300
Original post by EGA532

OK thank you, how many marks do you think I would need total though if I focused primarily on p1 and p2? If a evenly disributed C is typically 135 marks/300

Send me a link to the exam board website, and ill let u know, this is for math right?
Reply 9

Send me a link to the exam board website, and ill let u know, this is for math right?

Yeah this is just straight up maths.

Quick Reply

Latest