The Student Room Group

Accused

I have been accused of plagiarism and there is clear proof that I did commit it. Now I am awaiting for a decision to be made by the committee and I might be called to see them and explain.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? What should I do ? If I will be honest and admit it, will I get the worst penalty ?

I am well aware of the consequences, in the best case I will be awarded a 0, in the worst I could be expelled.

Please help, any advise would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever been in trouble before?
What year are you in?
What is the plagiarism you have been accused of, describe it. How extensive? What sort?
Presumably you have seen the evidence.
Obviously if they have clear evidence then you cant deny it.
How it came to happen is whats important. Note my advice is different from above and below.
It depends on the facts though.

Direct plagiarism is a bit more complicated than just a 0.
(edited 4 years ago)
Just be honest, you are most likely to get a 0 rather than be expelled if you tell the truth, lying would certainly get you expelled because they have clear proof
So many questions for him to answer.. I literally read that and thought it was an defence lawyer talking lmao
Original post by 999tigger
What year are you in?
What is the plagiarism you have been accused of, describe it. How extensive? What sort?
How it came to happen is whats important.
Original post by Camryn0903
So many questions for him to answer.. I literally read that and thought it was an defence lawyer talking lmao

Because they are relevant for any advice given.
Yes ik... it was a jk.. dw lol 🤣
Because they are relevant for any advice given.
Reply 6
Never been in trouble before, this is my (3rd) last year, I have been accused to copy almost everything (words, structure, etc.), my situation is super bad, at this point they have clear proof that is a direct plagiarism, so I wonder: will I get just a zero or will I be expelled ?
What year are you in?
How it came to happen is whats important. Note my advice is different from above and below.
It depends on the facts though.

Direct plagiarism is a bit more complicated than just a 0.

Never been in trouble before, this is my (3rd) last year, I have been accused to copy almost everything (words, structure, etc.), my situation is super bad, at this point they have clear proof, so I wonder: will I get just a zero or will I be expelled ?
If you are a good student.. why did you do it... no offence but its kinda your own fault 😕
Why did you plagiarise an entire essay? Did you think you wouldn’t get caught ?
Reply 9
I must be honest because proof is clear and I can not deny it. Why you think I will be most likely to get a 0 rather than be expelled ? Is your assumption based only upon your thinking or on real cases of plagiarism that you might have witnessed/experienced ?
Original post by Camryn0903
Just be honest, you are most likely to get a 0 rather than be expelled if you tell the truth, lying would certainly get you expelled because they have clear proof
(edited 4 years ago)
This actually sounds quite bad to me. You're in your final year, so can't rely on 'I didn't really understand the concept of referencing', which a first year student might be able to use as mitigating circumstances. You also say that you've copied 'everything', eg a cut-and-paste job, with clear evidence - far worse than just having been caught lifting a paragraph verbatim.

I'm fairly sure the work will be awarded zero. Whether there are further consequences for your deceit in regards to the awarding of your degree will be up to the academic standards board of your uni.
Thats not a good enough description. PM me what it is you are doing and what they are saying plus what you did.
Assuming you are guilty and you have copied an entire essay or used an essay mill, then it depends but I would be looking at more than a zero because of the extent of your plagiarism. It sounds like they caught you red handed and it wasnt just a small failing to reference, but substantial copying.

Assuming this is correct then it would seem foolish to have done so in such an obvious way that would get checked.
You arent giving me a lot to work with.

Have you spoken to the student advisor?

I cant tell without more detail, but more than a 0 and it depends. Final warning, but I wouldnt rule out straight being expelled.
What were you thinking?
No .. look if you are absolutely certain they have proof, this is your scenario

You lie and say you didnt do and they will think you are even less worthy of a second chance because you are still trying to lie about it

You come clean and tell the truth and they MAY be more lenient considering you are now telling the truth

I take law... and if someone pleads guilty... in ANY OFFENCE their sentence will be decreased, if they plead not guilty and get found guilty the judge will be less lenient

The uni is your judge right now because the prosecution have already proved their cases and the jury have decided you are guilty

Only the difference between you and the court system is that you can admit it now and say that you did it and the unj might be more lenient... you'll still have to prove your case though of why you are worthy of a second chance
worse result is jail my g but i dont think that will happen unless its very serious
Be honest OP. Have you done this before and just not been caught? You arent really telling us the full story.
Reply 15
My situation is that I have taken someone else's thought and have just paraphrased it. Now if we assume that this is the worst case of plagiarism ever, would I get the chance to do anything to avoid to be expelled or I am just fu**** ?

I haven't spoken yet to SA, I will soon.
Thats not a good enough description. PM me what it is you are doing and what they are saying plus what you did.
Assuming you are guilty and you have copied an entire essay or used an essay mill, then it depends but I would be looking at more than a zero because of the extent of your plagiarism. It sounds like they caught you red handed and it wasnt just a small failing to reference, but substantial copying.

Assuming this is correct then it would seem foolish to have done so in such an obvious way that would get checked.
You arent giving me a lot to work with.

Have you spoken to the student advisor?

I cant tell without more detail, but more than a 0 and it depends. Final warning, but I wouldnt rule out straight being expelled.
What were you thinking?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Never done it before, first time
Be honest OP. Have you done this before and just not been caught? You arent really telling us the full story.
Reply 17
Well yeah I agree every case is different and every uni has a different approach, I was hoping that someone who had experienced or witnessed a similar **** could tell me what happened at the end
Still not getting the full story.
I wouldnt think it would be just zero.
I would be thinking of what you could say in mitigation, but you arent giving us anything.
If the plagiarism was as red handed and extensive as you say, then all I can think of is contrition and hope its a final warning.
The problem is the extent of the plagiarism. Its up to them and unis may vary as will each case, but you arent giving anything other than yes yoiu are guilty. I dont think its a fair kop and wont do it again quite washes.
Reply 19
Full history is that my plan was to use someone else's work ONLY as a guideline but I ended up using its same content, structure, paraphrasing the whole and changing some minimum things. Now the committee has found out the work I have used and it matches around 90% the work I have submitted, but only expressed differently.

Now the problem is exactly what I should say when called by the committee and how I can beg not to be expelled
Still not getting the full story.
I wouldnt think it would be just zero.
I would be thinking of what you could say in mitigation, but you arent giving us anything.
If the plagiarism was as red handed and extensive as you say, then all I can think of is contrition and hope its a final warning.
The problem is the extent of the plagiarism. Its up to them and unis may vary as will each case, but you arent giving anything other than yes yoiu are guilty. I dont think its a fair kop and wont do it again quite washes.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest