The Student Room Group

Calculating uni module score

Hi guys! I would really appreciate if anyone can help me work out my Research Methods (30 credits) module score!

The lab work is worth 60% & the Exam is worth 40% of the module.
(Exam result still pending).

Results in Labs: (worth 60% of module)
Lab 1: 42
Lab 2: 40
Lab 3: 48

I know my grades could have been way better :frown: but I really do hate doing lab reports because I'm just not so good at writing them! :'(
I would really appreciate if someone could also tell me how much I would need in my exam to get a 2.2/2.1. I have a feeling I might get about 48-53 in the exam... And any tips in doing lab work would be great! just finished my second year and I'm terrified for 3rd year disso which is a LAB DISSO!!!! I study business psychology.

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

EDIT: Ignore my previous post. Assuming that each lab module is equally weighted... I calculate that you need 60 in your exam for a 2.2 and 85 for a 2.1. This is curiously 1% less that the figures below!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Marisahd6
Hi guys! I would really appreciate if anyone can help me work out my Research Methods (30 credits) module score!

The lab work is worth 60% & the Exam is worth 40% of the module.
(Exam result still pending).

Results in Labs: (worth 60% of module)
Lab 1: 42
Lab 2: 40
Lab 3: 48

I know my grades could have been way better :frown: but I really do hate doing lab reports because I'm just not so good at writing them! :'(
I would really appreciate if someone could also tell me how much I would need in my exam to get a 2.2/2.1. I have a feeling I might get about 48-53 in the exam... And any tips in doing lab work would be great! just finished my second year and I'm terrified for 3rd year disso which is a LAB DISSO!!!! I study business psychology.

Thanks guys!

Is each lab you did equally weighted?

If they are, using unigradecalc.com, in your exam you'll need at least 61 for a 2:2 and 86 for a 2:1 overall in the module.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
EDIT: Ignore my previous post. Assuming that each lab module is equally weighted... I calculate that you need 60 in your exam for a 2.2 and 85 for a 2.1. This is curiously 1% less that the figures below!

Lab 1 & 2 are worth 17.5% each and lab 3 is worth 25% = 60% of RM and exam is 40%. Is the outcome still the same?
Lab 1 & 2 are worth 17.5% each and lab 3 is worth 25% = 60% of RM and exam is 40%. Is the outcome still the same?

In that case you will need at least 60 for a 2:2 and 85 for a 2:1, so closer to ageshallnot's calculations!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
In that case you will need at least 60 for a 2:2 and 85 for a 2:1, so closer to ageshallnot's calculations!

We are now in agreement! 😀
Reply 6
Damn! I have no idea if I’ll even get 60 in that exam! :frown: if I got a 2:3 in total for the RM module would I have to retake that entire module? My other modules are okayish so will it all just even out?
Damn! I have no idea if I’ll even get 60 in that exam! :frown: if I got a 2:3 in total for the RM module would I have to retake that entire module? My other modules are okayish so will it all just even out?

If you got a third in that module (i.e. between 40 - 49%) you won't have failed it, so I can't see why you'd need to retake.

How did you do in your other modules? Were they the same weighting as this module we're discussing?
Reply 8
If you got a third in that module (i.e. between 40 - 49%) you won't have failed it, so I can't see why you'd need to retake.

How did you do in your other modules? Were they the same weighting as this module we're discussing?

Ok great! I’m currently waiting for 2 module grades and in the other 4 modules I got 66,53,48,45.
I struggle with psychology 😓 I guess it depends on the credits the modules are?
I have 7 modules in total, only then me being 30 cred and the other 6 being 15 credits
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok great! I’m currently waiting for 2 module grades and in the other 4 modules I got 66,53,48,45.
I struggle with psychology 😓 I guess it depends on the credits the modules are?
I have 7 modules in total, only then me being 30 cred and the other 6 being 15 credits

Which module has the 30 credit weighting?

If the two you are awaiting marks for are 15 credits each, then you'd need at least 44 in each to be in the 2:2 range on average (not including the 30 credit one).
Reply 10

If the two you are awaiting marks for are 15 credits each, then you'd need at least 44 in each to be in the 2:2 range on average (not including the 30 credit one).

the 30 credit is the Research Methods module! and hopefully I get over 44 in the other 2 essays, I feel like I did alright in them :biggrin:
Reply 11

also how much would I need to at least hit 2:1 overall?
Original post by Maris499
also how much would I need to at least hit 2:1 overall?

Well, given that you don't think you did well in your 30 credit module, if I base it mainly on the 2 modules you have yet to get a mark back from...

You'd need at least 79 in each (and based on around 55 in the 30 credit module) to get a 2:1 overall.
Reply 13
Well, given that you don't think you did well in your 30 credit module, if I base it mainly on the 2 modules you have yet to get a mark back from...

You'd need at least 79 in each (and based on around 55 in the 30 credit module) to get a 2:1 overall.

Well...I’m screwed 😓2:2 isn’t bad but I was aiming for a 2:1 since second year counts 30% for my final year! Dissertation is on psychology which is a lab work and I have no idea how I’m gona ace it
Well...I’m screwed 😓2:2 isn’t bad but I was aiming for a 2:1 since second year counts 30% for my final year! Dissertation is on psychology which is a lab work and I have no idea how I’m gona ace it

If you're really struggling, maybe you should look into whether it's possible for you to transfer to a different course. A 2:1 will be very difficult (not impossible, but difficult) for you to achieve in second year now. Have you talked to your personal tutor or lecturers about how much you're struggling?
Reply 15
If you're really struggling, maybe you should look into whether it's possible for you to transfer to a different course. A 2:1 will be very difficult (not impossible, but difficult) for you to achieve in second year now. Have you talked to your personal tutor or lecturers about how much you're struggling?

I was looking to transfer to HR Management but I’m not sure if it’s too late as I’m at the stage now where I should be collecting ideas of what I want to do my disso on. I haven’t really spoken to my tutor much since shes been away for months and only just came back in time for exam season. What’s annoying is that my course changed in second year to a Bsc so I didn’t study RM in first year. As soon as 2nd year started we were taught the 2nd part of RM and none of the basics. Everytime I did email the lecturers they were very vague as to how to do better. So I’m not sure now. But I’m thinking maybe the disso may not be so hard since I’ll get a supervisor?
I was looking to transfer to HR Management but I’m not sure if it’s too late as I’m at the stage now where I should be collecting ideas of what I want to do my disso on. I haven’t really spoken to my tutor much since shes been away for months and only just came back in time for exam season. What’s annoying is that my course changed in second year to a Bsc so I didn’t study RM in first year. As soon as 2nd year started we were taught the 2nd part of RM and none of the basics. Everytime I did email the lecturers they were very vague as to how to do better. So I’m not sure now. But I’m thinking maybe the disso may not be so hard since I’ll get a supervisor?

I think you need to discuss everything with either your personal tutor or your student support at your university. Given that your course after first year, I think you are due more support. Supervisors of dissertations don't help a lot tbh, and relying on the hope that yours will be not be a good move. It's never too late to change your course, particularly if you are no longer enjoying it. Life is too short.
Reply 17
definitely 😓 I’ll send an email to her, and mention course changes if I really have to.Thank you so much for your help! You’ve been amazing!!
Reply 18

So I got one grade back from one module which I’m so disappointed about because I thought I did half decent on it :frown: I got 45%
So I got one grade back from one module which I’m so disappointed about because I thought I did half decent on it :frown: I got 45%

Sorry to hear that, but at least you didn't fail it. Are you still set on doing Psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest