The Student Room Group

Live revision thread

Good evening everyone!

We're hosting a special live revision advice thread until 9pm tonight. Whether it's GCSEs, A-levels, BTECs or your degree, we're here to help!

Thanks - Sophie.

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm in year 12 so have a year until my A-Levels, but am already stressed about them! I'm taking Spanish, Maths and Sociology and am dreading the exams already. We have mocks in a few weeks and I'm looking for advice on the best ways to revise and actually do well in my exams! :smile:
Original post by maddie022
Hi! I'm in year 12 so have a year until my A-Levels, but am already stressed about them! I'm taking Spanish, Maths and Sociology and am dreading the exams already. We have mocks in a few weeks and I'm looking for advice on the best ways to revise and actually do well in my exams! :smile:

Hi Maddie,

Thanks for getting in touch tonight.

Mock revision is a great way to prepare for the real deal so it's great to hear that you are taking your mocks seriously.

Finding a revision technique that works is different for everyone, it's about finding the technique that's right for you and your learning style. Think about how you process information, do you learn when things are more visual or do you prefer large amounts of text. Do you like to practice past papers or use cue cards and quizzes?

Here are some top tips for you...

1. Try a few different techniques to see which one works best for you
2. Create a revision plan and try to stick to it, make sure you balance your revision and also have breaks and free time for yourself to avoid burn out
3. Try cue cards, past papers, listening to music, being in a quite room and asking your friends and family to create quizzes on what you're revising so they can test you.
4. Don't overload yourself, on average we can focus for about 20 minutes before we start to drop off so try short chunks of revision split up by breaks in-between to help you regain your focus.
5. If you think you learn better with others think about setting up a revision group or ask if you can do some revision lessons at your college/sixth form,

I hope this helps you get started and if you have further questions don't hesitate to get back to me :smile:

Good luck! - Sophie.
We're live for 2 more hours to answer any revision or exam questions you have tonight.

Whether you're feeling the stress or looking for tips on how to use your last few days before exams start, we're here to help!
Hi I have my maths AS Level exam next week (aqa), do you have any good revision tips for going about these questions? Especially for Trigonometry, Curve fittings (in logs topic) and kinematics

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
Hi I have my maths AS Level exam next week (aqa), do you have any good revision tips for going about these questions? Especially for Trigonometry, Curve fittings (in logs topic) and kinematics

Many thanks :smile:

Hi there,

Have you tired any of the AQA past maths papers?

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 6
Hi I’m in year 11 and I am currently working on a grade 4 in English Lit and I want to boost that grade up to at least a 5. I was just wandering if you have any effective revision tips for English lit. Thanks
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Have you tired any of the AQA past maths papers?

Thanks - Sophie.

Yes I use past papers a lot for revision but on some specific topics, I can never manage to do it when I put myself in exam conditions. My weakest topic is using cast diagrams in trigonometry and analysing graphs with Logarithms. :smile:
Original post by Pops123A
Hi I’m in year 11 and I am currently working on a grade 4 in English Lit and I want to boost that grade up to at least a 5. I was just wandering if you have any effective revision tips for English lit. Thanks

Hi there,

I can certainly try to give you some tips...

1. Find out as much as you can about the content of the exam or at least try to narrow it down to focus your revision
2. It may sound small, but your grammar and spelling could be the extra marks that help you to reach a 5
3. Dig out some practice papers for English literature from the AQA or Edexcel website and test yourself in pretend exam conditions
4. One big tip for literature is to follow this technique - Make a point, provide evidence, then explain it also known as PEE.
5. You may find some extra tips here - https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zckw2hv

Good luck and if you have further questions please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Sophie.
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
Yes I use past papers a lot for revision but on some specific topics, I can never manage to do it when I put myself in exam conditions. My weakest topic is using cast diagrams in trigonometry and analysing graphs with Logarithms. :smile:

My knowledge of "cast diagrams in trigonometry and analysing graphs with Logarithms" is quite limited I'm afraid (maths wasn't my strong subject!).

You may find the following site useful - https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/alevel.html

I would also advise speaking with your maths teacher for extra support, see if they will have any revision classes taking place before the exam or get your friends and family to help you out.

Good luck - Sophie.
Hi, I'm doing the AQA RE GCSEs next week, do you have any last-minute revision tips (or general tips), and advice on how to stay motivated? Thanks!
My knowledge of "cast diagrams in trigonometry and analysing graphs with Logarithms" is quite limited I'm afraid (maths wasn't my strong subject!).

You may find the following site useful - https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/alevel.html

I would also advise speaking with your maths teacher for extra support, see if they will have any revision classes taking place before the exam or get your friends and family to help you out.

Good luck - Sophie.

Oh haha that’s no problem! Thank you so much for the help the website looks really useful! 😊
Reply 12
I'm in year 9 so I am starting some of my courses this year and I have end of year exams coming up in a few weeks. Roughly how many hours should I be revising per week?
Original post by lg.16
I'm in year 9 so I am starting some of my courses this year and I have end of year exams coming up in a few weeks. Roughly how many hours should I be revising per week?

Hi there,

My advice would be to try different lengths of time until you feel you have the balance right. You might find these tips helpful...

1. Create a revision timetable
2. Include breaks so that you don't burn out
3. Remember the average person can focus for around 20 minutes before starting to drop off. Try 20-30 minute slots with a break.
4. Make sure you plan to cover all subjects across a week
5. Don't stay up too late revising

Try the following link for creating and planning a revision timetable - https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/articles/zn3497h

Hope this helps!
Reply 14
hii
i am doing igcse edexcel english literature
i have my exam next week
and i dont feel like i have prepared enough
can i have some pointers on like how to study it and be confident about it?
thnx
Original post by udkmee
hii
i am doing igcse edexcel english literature
i have my exam next week
and i dont feel like i have prepared enough
can i have some pointers on like how to study it and be confident about it?
thnx

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Firstly, I wish you the best of luck with your exam next week I hope it goes well. I answered a similar questions a little further up and gave the following tips:

1. Find out as much as you can about the content of the exam or at least try to narrow it down to focus your revision
2. It may sound small, but your grammar and spelling could be the extra marks that help you reach a higher grade
3. Dig out some practice papers for English literature from the AQA or Edexcel website and test yourself in pretend exam conditions
4. One big tip for literature is to follow this technique - Make a point, provide evidence, then explain it also known as PEE.
5. You may find some extra tips here - https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zckw2hv

How much revision have you done so far would you say?

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 16
hey
thank you very much!!
Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Firstly, I wish you the best of luck with your exam next week I hope it goes well. I answered a similar questions a little further up and gave the following tips:

2. It may sound small, but your grammar and spelling could be the extra marks that help you reach a higher grade

How much revision have you done so far would you say?

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by SlightlySummer
Hi, I'm doing the AQA RE GCSEs next week, do you have any last-minute revision tips (or general tips), and advice on how to stay motivated? Thanks!

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay I didn't see your question come through!

Really good question.

Staying motivated can be hard I completely understand where you are coming from with this question.

With the exam being on the horizon think about the following:

1. Is there anything you think you haven't covered or any topics you don't feel confident about within RE?
2. Think about asking someone to make some quizzes for you using your revision materials to test you so you can see if you do need to cover certain things more.
3. Try using flash cards or doing an activity to help you with recalling information.
4. Try doing some past papers in exam like conditions to help you practice
5. Make sure you are having plenty of breaks so that you don't burn yourself out

Hope that sounds okay, let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Sophie.
Thanks! Appreciate the help! :h:
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay I didn't see your question come through!

Really good question.

Staying motivated can be hard I completely understand where you are coming from with this question.

With the exam being on the horizon think about the following:

1. Is there anything you think you haven't covered or any topics you don't feel confident about within RE?
2. Think about asking someone to make some quizzes for you using your revision materials to test you so you can see if you do need to cover certain things more.
3. Try using flash cards or doing an activity to help you with recalling information.
4. Try doing some past papers in exam like conditions to help you practice
5. Make sure you are having plenty of breaks so that you don't burn yourself out

Hope that sounds okay, let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Sophie.
We had a lot of question on this thread last week so we've decided to open it up again tonight!

Tom, our expert adviser is ready to offer advice and information for all of your exam and revision questions until 9 pm this evening!

Remember, your exam results are important but you are so much more than just grades on paper, so be kind to yourself throughout your exams!
Good evening everyone!

We're hosting a special live revision advice thread until 9pm tonight. Whether it's GCSEs, A-levels, BTECs or your degree, we're here to help!

Thanks - Sophie.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending