The Student Room Group

Unit 3 BTEC Engineering Exam- 8 hrs- January 2019

Anyone have any ideas???
So far i know that the product is a retractable key that is used to open a lock. it uses a ratchet mechanism, the user presses the pawl lever to release the key. batch of 10,000
Key is made from high carbon.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
During part A of the exam we need to produce 2 A4 sheets of reasearch, what should I research into?
What have you put on your research notes?
Reply 3
Guys ovslly dont have to post your ideas thanks whoever started this. but its best to share as much as possible. how was the unit 1 exam today?
Reply 4
Original post by 123myzeb
Anyone have any ideas???
So far i know that the product is a retractable key that is used to open a lock. it uses a ratchet mechanism, the user presses the pawl lever to release the key. batch of 10,000
Key is made from high carbon.

Hey have you done the exam yet ? If so can you please tell me what was it about we are doing part A atm and we start part B on next Monday. Thanks
Reply 5
How is everyone finding this exam? I'm nearly finished, what could be indirect and constraints to the design on talking about it.

Thanks.
Reply 6
I've completed the exam,
Was not too bad, some parts were obviously hard but overall wasn't too bad.
basically, have to research on different mechanisms. you need 3-4 different mechanisms, and then a final idea. the first 3-4 designs need to just sketch with not too much annotations or detail but the final idea has to be in more detail. this section is half the paper's marks so needs to be done well
For some reason, I struggled with activity 2.
what did u all find hard and easy???
Reply 7
Original post by _kaito_
How is everyone finding this exam? I'm nearly finished, what could be indirect and constraints to the design on talking about it.

Thanks.

Yeah, this is another thing I found hard.
I didn't know any indirect benefits or constraints. I basically wrote how the manufacturing process (injection moulding for plastic fob and blanking, and CNC machining for the metal key blade) helped save cost. I said it would be expensive at the start but then cost would go down.
Reply 8
Original post by 123myzeb
Yeah, this is another thing I found hard.
I didn't know any indirect benefits or constraints. I basically wrote how the manufacturing process (injection moulding for plastic fob and blanking, and CNC machining for the metal key blade) helped save cost. I said it would be expensive at the start but then cost would go down.

What I think is that the indirect benefits and contraints can be seen as the limitations to the design concept, you can mention that but since this external exam went a bit easy for me, I think the grade boundaries might take a rise.
Anyone doing the may unit 3 one
Reply 10
yes please i need help
Reply 11
I got Merit on the January Exam so I can help you with this source of information. Please look at this guidesheet.
Original post by dellz
yes please i need help
Original post by dellz
yes please i need help

What type of clamp did you use
this is the brief
Original post by _kaito_

Thanks.

Hey, what did you write for health and saftey requirements in part B?
Reply 15
fingers can get trapped in the slots of clamping solution
Original post by josephine130801
Hey, what did you write for health and saftey requirements in part B?
hi i am also doing this exam
im doing this exam aswell, in the middle of part B and ive been given the clamp one. anyone got indepth details, or example of answers for activity 2?
Original post by _kaito_
fingers can get trapped in the slots of clamping solution

did u mention COSHH / Puwer?? /RIDDOR / HASWA n stuff?
Reply 19
You only need to mention safety and sustainability factors based on the clamping solution, the manufacturing for example.
Original post by josephine130801
did u mention COSHH / Puwer?? /RIDDOR / HASWA n stuff?

Quick Reply