The Student Room Group

I'm a police officer AMA

Please don't ask the following

1. What force I work for?
2. Anything offensive or racist.

Background: I'm a new officer currently the first 12 months of a 24 months probation!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wait, you committed an offence?
Will you arrest me please? I have a fetish for being cuffed.
What's a typical day at work for you? What time do you start / leave?
So you're still in training? I guess first 6 months or so.

How familiar are you with PACE?
Yes, a gentleman who had mud on his plate, I got to his window and he started getting all upset thinking I was pulling him for something that was on his record from years ago. I just felt really bad! Normally, if they are polite, the offence isn't serious, and they comply with my questions, they are far more likely to get let off!
Have you had to deal with any MH crisis cases?
No, we all have a "probation period" for 2 years. Basically before we can do our duties on our own!
Original post by The RAR
Wait, you committed an offence?
I get this a lot hahaha
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Will you arrest me please? I have a fetish for being cuffed.

Yes, so I do still patrol, do paperwork, all my standard duties etc, but I am shadowed/working with another officer all the time. We are constantly assessed through practical assessment.

Fairly okay with it, I kinda have to be, there is a lot to learn and a lot to take on, but you generally do start to learn more and more really quickly.
Original post by Notoriety
So you're still in training? I guess first 6 months or so.

How familiar are you with PACE?

Yes, but I wasn't there for long because a more experienced unit took over. It was a girl threatening to stab herself with a needle.Very shocking and eye opening for me.
Original post by CoolCavy
Have you had to deal with any MH crisis cases?
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

Yes, but I wasn't there for long because a more experienced unit took over. It was a girl threatening to stab herself with a needle.Very shocking and eye opening for me.

That's awful :frown: hope she was ok
I only ask because two policemen took me in their car to AandE last year for MH reasons, i felt awful and like i was wasting their time
Well, time is a bit difficult to tell, but I will tell you my most recent day.

Woke up at 4pm, got to work 6pm finished 6am.

Normally it depends, on weekends I do a lot of drunk and disorderly calls, in the weak, more mental health and domestic abuse. After any arrest there is always paperwork, so I spent a lot of time filling reports!
Original post by DrawTheLine
What's a typical day at work for you? What time do you start / leave?
She ended up being sectioned I believe, probably the best outcome for her.

And honestly, you weren't wasting police time. It's our job to make sure people are okay, we have a duty of care. People become police because they want to help, no matter how big or how small, we are always there.
Original post by CoolCavy
That's awful :frown: hope she was ok
I only ask because two policemen took me in their car to AandE last year for MH reasons, i felt awful and like i was wasting their time
I have a fondness for handcuffs for some reason
Reply 13
Would you pull me over for passing you at 80 on the motorway?
Haha, maybe! If it was raining or snowing, probably, but if it was decent weather, maybe not, because most people do 80 anyway.
Original post by NX172
Would you pull me over for passing you at 80 on the motorway?
She ended up being sectioned I believe, probably the best outcome for her.

And honestly, you weren't wasting police time. It's our job to make sure people are okay, we have a duty of care. People become police because they want to help, no matter how big or how small, we are always there.

Thank you for this :hugs:

Background: I'm a new officer currently the first 12 months of a 24 months probation!

Did you join after A-levels, or did you join as a graduate?

What is your opinion on Direct Entry Inspector and Superintendent schemes?
I personally have nothing against people who smoke it, that's their choice.
Can I still own a shotgun/ rifles if I live in a shared flat?

I joined after finishing university.

And I don't know much about them so I can't personally say too much. From what I've heard, it helps attract very intelligent people who might otherwise go down a different career, and so they have benefits, but on the other hand, they don't have the experience that someone who rose to that level might have had!

Original post by Blue_Cow
Did you join after A-levels, or did you join as a graduate?

What is your opinion on Direct Entry Inspector and Superintendent schemes?

Quick Reply

Latest