The Student Room Group

GCSE English lit help!!!!!!

Basically so i literally have about 8 days until english lit paper 1, ive done no revision at all and i do edexcel:
Jekyll and hyde
Macbeth
An inspector calls
Poetry anthology Conflict

I need all the help i can get as im aiming for a 7!!!1
Umm if you've done no revision at all then it would be a good idea to start now. Quotes are so important so that's good place to start. Write them down again and again or say them out loud to yourself or write them on post its and stick them everywhere. Split it up so revise a different part of the course everyday so let's so you revise Jekyll and Hyde today and Macbeth tomorrow.
Close references are just as good as quotes so don't get too stressed over learning quotations word by word. As long as you know the general gist then that's good enough.

It's definitely a bit late to learn all the poems on the poetry anthology. I only learnt 3 because I was pushed for time as well. Choose 3 poems that have a good mix and could bring in lots of different themes. You really ought to learn more than 3 but since you're pushed for time, learning at least one is better than none.
what about AQA?
Wdym?
Why are you guys starting so late? I've made all notes just need to revise the poems. But my advice is please start now. You don't want to open that envelope in August and see a 2 you want to see a good grade :smile:.
Original post by LuxuriousAngel
what about AQA?
i just want AT LEAST GRADE 4 and 5. is that still possible? :frown:
Original post by rockyball89
Wdym?
Why are you guys starting so late? I've made all notes just need to revise the poems. But my advice is please start now. You don't want to open that envelope in August and see a 2 you want to see a good grade :smile:.
Yep, go on YouTube watch Mr Salles English the Videos are long like 45 minutes just watch like 5 minutes he shows model essays. Copy that structure and you'll get a 9. For literature just say outside of the box things & use lots of sophisticated language e.g. Synechdoche, Stichomythia

i just want AT LEAST GRADE 4 and 5. is that still possible? :frown:
Tysm for your help! will definitely start revision from tomorrow non-stop for all of my subjects (7 already done dt and ict) . (yeah this is why I should have done revision 2 weeks ago I really regret it.) and in the next half term as well as hardcore revision.
Yep, go on YouTube watch Mr Salles English the Videos are long like 45 minutes just watch like 5 minutes he shows model essays. Copy that structure and you'll get a 9. For literature just say outside of the box things & use lots of sophisticated language e.g. Synechdoche, Stichomythia
Tysm for your help! will definitely start revision from tomorrow non-stop for all of my subjects (7 already done dt and ict) . (yeah this is why I should have done revision 2 weeks ago I really regret it.) and in the next half term as well as hardcore revision.

Also, do you have any more revision tips/methods that could help me? I really appreciate your helpful comments!
Wdym?
For English literature just use lots of complex words & link to complex e.g. for Macbeth

you can say Macbeth is depicted as guilty in Act 2 scene 2 when he says "Macbeth does murder sleep". This is a stichomythia and it's effective by Shakespeare because, it shows how he is uncomfortable and how his trying to look for comfort through his wife because he knows that his vice actions would lead to him being damned. Moreover, it also shows his apprehension because it could suggest how he is suffering from insomnia and the lack of sleep could suggest how he feels that he can never ask God for repentance because the noun "sleep" as connotations for repairing the body. Blah blah blah you get the gist.

Also, do you have any more revision tips/methods that could help me? I really appreciate your helpful comments!
Thank you so much!! for your help
For English literature just use lots of complex words & link to complex e.g. for Macbeth

you can say Macbeth is depicted as guilty in Act 2 scene 2 when he says "Macbeth does murder sleep". This is a stichomythia and it's effective by Shakespeare because, it shows how he is uncomfortable and how his trying to look for comfort through his wife because he knows that his vice actions would lead to him being damned. Moreover, it also shows his apprehension because it could suggest how he is suffering from insomnia and the lack of sleep could suggest how he feels that he can never ask God for repentance because the noun "sleep" as connotations for repairing the body. Blah blah blah you get the gist.
Also what if you have limited memory/ can't remember any quotes or notes for the extract? what the best quotes/notes (if you know) that can be used for every question? like ''how does Shakespeare presents ambition in this extract.'' ''how does Dickens presents poverty in a Christmas carol'' etc
erm i don't do christmas carol
for macbeth for ambition you can use:

Fair is foul, foul is fair'
'green sickness'
'so foul is fair a day I have not seen'
'unsex me here' 'take my milk for gall' etc

Also what if you have limited memory/ can't remember any quotes or notes for the extract? what the best quotes/notes (if you know) that can be used for every question? like ''how does Shakespeare presents ambition in this extract.'' ''how does Dickens presents poverty in a Christmas carol'' etc
thanks for the quotes and for a christmas carol-scrooge, isolation, family
erm i don't do christmas carol
for macbeth for ambition you can use:

Fair is foul, foul is fair'
'green sickness'
'so foul is fair a day I have not seen'
'unsex me here' 'take my milk for gall' etc
I don't think anyone as covered the whole syllables. I've covered majority of everything but not everything. the content for each subject is madddddd :frown: .
thanks for the quotes and for a christmas carol-scrooge, isolation, family
I do the conflict anthology and Macbeth - for the conflict anthology we listed the different kinds of conflict eg. physical, emotional, psychological, cultural, mental etc. Thinking about what kinds of conflict are found in each poem really helped me. Plus picking the 2 or 3 best quotes.

For Macbeth I use the videos from Mr Brooker and Mr Salles - both have great analysis. I got my quotes and analysis from Mr Brooker then Mr Salles is great for the essays.
Original post by salimyasin10
Basically so i literally have about 8 days until english lit paper 1, ive done no revision at all and i do edexcel:
Jekyll and hyde
Macbeth
An inspector calls
Poetry anthology Conflict

I need all the help i can get as im aiming for a 7!!!1

Quick Reply

Latest