The Student Room Group

English language help (gcse)

Does anybody have any advice to help me improve my English language grade (I’m in year 10) at the moment I’m working at around a grade 6 which I know isn’t awful however in my other subjects I’m working at mostly 9s and some 8s so any advice would be really helpful as I have no idea how to improve
Reply 1
Hi. I'm a Grade 9 student in Year 11 so maybe my advice could be useful!

Since you're in Year 10, I think you have plenty of time to improve. Watch Mr Salles/Mr Bruff on YT, they go through alot of the details of the language papers very well, and it is better if you understand what to do exactly for every question. If you know the ins and outs of a question, you're halfway there!

Language papers really seem to catch people out sometimes, but, it really shouldn't stress you out. Once I learned how to do Q2, as in the do's and dont's, my marks significantly improved. Same with Q3, and so on. If you understand how much to write and stick to the timings, it will (hopefully) make your writing more concise, with more marks.

If you're struggling specifically with finding the information, I can also help, but for now I hoped it's helped. :biggrin:
And what about Year 11? (really regret starting revision late) and I need more help/tips. and it would be very appreciated if you can help me. and I just at least want to get grade 4/5 and if I start revision from now. will I be able to get those grades? sorry for being annoying :frown:
Original post by polsan
Hi. I'm a Grade 9 student in Year 11 so maybe my advice could be useful!

Since you're in Year 10, I think you have plenty of time to improve. Watch Mr Salles/Mr Bruff on YT, they go through alot of the details of the language papers very well, and it is better if you understand what to do exactly for every question. If you know the ins and outs of a question, you're halfway there!

Language papers really seem to catch people out sometimes, but, it really shouldn't stress you out. Once I learned how to do Q2, as in the do's and dont's, my marks significantly improved. Same with Q3, and so on. If you understand how much to write and stick to the timings, it will (hopefully) make your writing more concise, with more marks.

If you're struggling specifically with finding the information, I can also help, but for now I hoped it's helped. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Language, literature or both?

If language, what I said to Emily is generally the same. It is all about picking out information and what to write for every question. (If you can tell me what you're particularly stuck on maybe I could help :smile:)

If Literature, I totally recommend watching videos. Writing notes and what not (In my opinion) will only stress you out. Listening to someone say things and repeating that to yourself helps for me.

My teacher always says re-reading the texts is the best revision!

Anything specific, I'd happily answer :smile:

Also, I do think you could get a very good pass if you put in the effort now
Original post by LuxuriousAngel
And what about Year 11? (really regret starting revision late) and I need more help/tips. and it would be very appreciated if you can help me. and I just at least want to get grade 4/5 and if I start revision from now. will I be able to get those grades? sorry for being annoying :frown:
Hello! I'm in Y11 too. I'm sure you'll be able to get the grades! My advice is to go over papers you have done before and make improvements or find example answers to work from. Is it a specific question that you're worried about?
Reply 5
Thank you so much I will definitely try and watch those videos and see if it helps I think it’s just stressing me out as everyone is expecting me to get an 8/9 because of my target grade and other subjects which can be really annoying but thanks for your advice xx
Reply 6
If it's for language then maybe start reading more since it really helps when it comes to the creative writing section, which is worth half of the marks anyway
Original post by Emily~3695
Does anybody have any advice to help me improve my English language grade (I’m in year 10) at the moment I’m working at around a grade 6 which I know isn’t awful however in my other subjects I’m working at mostly 9s and some 8s so any advice would be really helpful as I have no idea how to improve
Reply 7
Original post by PrabG
If it's for language then maybe start reading more since it really helps when it comes to the creative writing section, which is worth half of the marks anyway

Thanks for the advice the issue is I read for at least 30 minutes everyday often more although for some reason this hasn’t really affected my English grade which is a bit frustrating but thanks for the advice anyway x
Yes for Language Paper 1-, Q3, Q4, Q5
Paper 2-Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5
Literature- Paper 1-A Christmas Carol and Macbeth memorizing quotes and explanations and how to answer the questions
Paper 2-An Inspector Calls-quotes and explanations and how to write a good response, Power and conflict poems comparisons- how does the writer present ideas of .... in and another poem? can't be able to remember 15 poems and don't know how to structure it and again write a good response, Unseen poems-how does the poet present attitudes of..? how to write a good answer for this one and unseen poem similarities and differences
Original post by Grace_Shaw
Hello! I'm in Y11 too. I'm sure you'll be able to get the grades! My advice is to go over papers you have done before and make improvements or find example answers to work from. Is it a specific question that you're worried about?
Yes for Language Paper 1-, Q3 (structure) I really get stuck on this question, Q4 (to what extent do you agree) really get stuck on this question Q5 (Creative writing) need help what methods, ideas, techniques are good and how to make the examiner impressed?
Paper 2-Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5
Literature- Paper 1-A Christmas Carol and Macbeth memorizing quotes and explanations and how to answer the questions
Paper 2-An Inspector Calls-quotes and explanations and how to write a good response, Power and conflict poems comparisons- how does the writer present ideas of .... in and another poem? can't be able to remember 15 poems and don't know how to structure it and again write a good response, Unseen poems-how does the poet present attitudes of..? how to write a good answer for this one and unseen poem similarities and differences
Original post by polsan
Language, literature or both?

If language, what I said to Emily is generally the same. It is all about picking out information and what to write for every question. (If you can tell me what you're particularly stuck on maybe I could help :smile:)

If Literature, I totally recommend watching videos. Writing notes and what not (In my opinion) will only stress you out. Listening to someone say things and repeating that to yourself helps for me.

My teacher always says re-reading the texts is the best revision!

Anything specific, I'd happily answer :smile:

Also, I do think you could get a very good pass if you put in the effort now
Reply 10
Hi, I'm currently doing ACC revision so I can't type out all I know for the language papers as of yet lol, but my teacher went through the language papers quite well and I'd be happy to write up some of the tips he gave later
Sure that would be helpful! and can you send some notes (if you can) and the tips in direct private message?
Yes for Language Paper 1-, Q3 (structure) I really get stuck on this question, Q4 (to what extent do you agree) really get stuck on this question Q5 (Creative writing) need help what methods, ideas, techniques are good and how to make the examiner impressed?
Paper 2-Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5

For English literature you could maybe make flash cards of key quotes to learn (probably some already on quizlet) and maybe write some essay plans (not actual essays) just to see what you would write as this might make it easier, for the unseen poetry it might be useful to go over key language features/ structure etc and what affect this has other than that I don’t think that there is much more you can do, good luck in your exams :smile:
Original post by polsan
Hi, I'm currently doing ACC revision so I can't type out all I know for the language papers as of yet lol, but my teacher went through the language papers quite well and I'd be happy to write up some of the tips he gave later

Hi. If you can would you be able to send me any notes/tips you have for English language on private message it would be really helpful (if that’s ok with you) x
Reply 14

I suggest to watch ‘Mr Salles teaches English’ on Youtube- my grades gone up thanks to him, not my teacher. He goes through exam papers and explains everything, also get his books from Amazon, I got them to help me with my descriptive and creative writing. Good luck!
Original post by Owl8888
I suggest to watch ‘Mr Salles teaches English’ on Youtube- my grades gone up thanks to him, not my teacher. He goes through exam papers and explains everything, also get his books from Amazon, I got them to help me with my descriptive and creative writing. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice but this was 2 years ago 😂 I actually did pretty much exactly what you said and I got a 9 so it definitely works :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks for the advice but this was 2 years ago 😂 I actually did pretty much exactly what you said and I got a 9 so it definitely works :smile:

I noticed that it’s an old post after submitting. All the best 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending