The Student Room Group

Gavin Williamson sacked

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I was referencing the typical city type, not a little mouse in Bethnal Green living off vegan meals such as myself.

Aren’t vegan meals rather pricey in that area? I was under the impression they were.
Original post by Reality Check
Not if those taxis need to go south of the river...

More than their jobsworth.
Original post by Andrew97
Aren’t vegan meals rather pricey in that area? I was under the impression they were.

We self-cater. :teehee:
Could you be more pompous? :biggrin:

Trotsky is a very interesting (and impressive) historical personage and someone I happen to know something about. So I was up for a bit of a discussion, that was my purpose.

Sounds like you read a book that mentioned him once, and that is the extent of your knowledge of the great man...

Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
I have no idea what purpose your post serves other than being your usual verbal diarrhoea.

I happen to have an interest in early 20th century history and was reading a book on the Russian revolution when I made this account. To conclude that naming my account after his murder weapon means I admire Trotsky shows a distinct failing on your behalf.

There is an important life lesson you can learn here. Don't made blind assumptions about people's beliefs as you risk looking like a fool.
Reply 84
Original post by Tempest II
I'm very much a believer that knowledge is power and it's always better to know it yourself rather than having to rely purely on your advisory team. Of course, part of being intelligent is also admitting what you don't know and therefore finding someone that does to help.

Personally I'd say the primary role for Sec State for Defence is to fight for more funding for the armed forces (or at least not let capabilities be cut), to inform the cabinet on capability of the armed forces to proactively prepare for, or reactively take action in, a crisis and to also be the duty holder for certain types of risk. They won't be planning military strategy or anything but they need to ensure that the individuals/teams that do have all the resources available to them.
All of this will be easier if the Sec State has either operated in these environments before or has enough understanding of those environments to ask educated questions.

Your last point is a rather cheap shot that betrays how little you know about the armed forces.

Fair point on that one.
On the other hand the military is meant to be controlled by civilians and having an unimpartial pair of hands at the tiller somewhat betrays that.

Too a point, I mean to be obscenely reductionist the role is little more than to act as the forces spokesperson to the government. But then again, as I have said previously, almost all policies of consequences come from number 10 and the ones with any insight into the matter should usually be in the civil service.

It might be a cheap shot but it wasn’t exactly wrong now was it.
Thought so!

I would take your suggestion more seriously if you didn't indulge in ad hom attacks yourself...
Debate the issues, not the person.
Original post by generallee
Thought so!

I would take your suggestion more seriously if you didn't indulge in ad hom attacks yourself...

I try never to do that against other TSR users, if I have done so, point it out and I will desist. However, I suspect you are confusing critiques of politicians with the sort of personalised insults you dish out on TSR to people you disagree with.
I seem to recall you accusing me of being a sad middle aged guy eying up the TSR babes with a view to boffing them, but I could have imagined it of course... :biggrin:
I try never to do that against other TSR users, if I have done so, point it out and I will desist. However, I suspect you are confusing critiques of politicians with the sort of personalised insults you dish out on TSR to people you disagree with.
I take it you mean the decision taken in the 2010 SDSR to change to CATOBAR and the subsequent reversal back to STOVL?
Where was he on the F35/carriers saga?

Money seems to be as badly redirected in the armed forces budgets as it is elsewhere in government.
Original post by Harpoon
I take it you mean the decision taken in the 2010 SDSR to change to CATOBAR and the subsequent reversal back to STOVL?

So many acronyms. So little time to understand them all. :teehee:
SDSR - Strategic Defence and Security Review

CATOBAR - Catapult Assisted Take Off but Arrested Recovery

STOVL - Short Take Off, Vertical Landing
So many acronyms. So little time to understand them all. :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending