The Student Room Group

How to tackle knife/gang crime

This is how knife crime should be tackled.

- Introduce zones in areas where gang crime takes place where anyone in that area can be expected to be stopped and searched, without a reason .

- Have police officers patrol these areas on foot rather than cars.

- A lot of stabbings/shootings in London take place in and around Tube stations and railway stations, under BTP's jurasdiction. Redeploy BTP officers from major stations in central London to patrol those in other parts of London.

- Treat knife/gang crime like terrorism, ban "drill videos" and music and any other form of media that seems to promote violence,be it sexual, physical or any form of illegal substances. Treat this media as terrorist propoganda and have it removed from social media and Youtube otherwise these networks will be heavily fined.

- Introduce a 1 month compulsory prison sentence for those convicted of a first knife crime offence (ie, carrying a knife, obviously a stabbing or murder would be more severe. In the long term we should think about having more prison spaces to accomodate more people sentenced for knife crime).

- Ban large gatherings of people in certain areas as ASB

- Have more police officers in schools and undercover officersr to gather intelligence on gangs. Make teachers play a more active role in reporting criminal activity and fine and discipline any who fail to do so. This is their legal obligation.

Other things we could do - I would suggest in the long term we start exploring the relationships in families, family breakdowns and single parent families are no doubt a factor in young people turning to crime.

Also, gangs help socially isolated people have a sense of belonging. In the long term, perhaps a serious discussion on reintroducing national service could be effective.

Legalisation of cannabis could also end the criminal subculture that surrounds it.

Having civillains better trained in self defense or carrying weapons such as CS spray, or even firearms could be an effective detterent. When a crime happens, most people film it rather than do anything. Time to change the spectator culture
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Reply 2

I do not share opinions or ideas expressed in this video. this is a review and opinion piece in response to legalization to illegal organizing groups.
I have section 60 in my area
Reply 4
Legalise pepper spray. It is banned under the 1968 Firearms Act, but it is legal in other countries in Europe.
Original post by Arran90
Legalise pepper spray. It is banned under the 1968 Firearms Act, but it is legal in other countries in Europe.

You are allowed pepper spray alternatives, but they can fall under assault if not used appropriately.
There is no single way to tackling knife/gang crime, I go to school in a rough area (the school is very good but it is just situated in an old school around and estate) two people were stabbed within 3 days and one person was shot a while ago, I have seen some strategies work like extra patrolling and surveillance but only witnessed those in action
Life sentence
If you give everyone life sentences then that will just spur violence within prisons instead, you essentially move the violence from the streets to the prisons (Not a bad idea in theory actually)
Original post by thestudent33
Life sentence
Original post by Greywolftwo
If you give everyone life sentences then that will just spur violence within prisons instead, you essentially move the violence from the streets to the prisons (Not a bad idea in theory actually)

Bad beahviour in prison = death sentence

Simple.
We aren't animals. You can't just execute everyone who is caught with a knife and has a prison fight.
Bad beahviour in prison = death sentence

Simple.
If only Thanos were real
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
We aren't animals. You can't just execute everyone who is caught with a knife and has a prison fight.

Well they'll behave after a while if they see what'll be the consequences
No it will lead to riots and large scale social unrest. There was another group who executed dissident prisoners. They were called the Nazis.
Well they'll behave after a while if they see what'll be the consequences
No it will lead to riots and large scale social unrest. There was another group who executed dissident prisoners. They were called the Nazis.

That's different. We're executing people who have killed other human beings on purpose for no reason
You do realise that OP meant being caught with knives as well?
That's different. We're executing people who have killed other human beings on purpose for no reason
You do realise that OP meant being caught with knives as well?

Yeah I'm not talking about them I'm talking about the ones that actually kill people. There will be two seperate prisons, one for people caught with knives and one for people who've stabbed someone. The idea of killing them will only take place in the second prison.
We have that already, it's called low and high security.

1) The cost would be astronomical. You have to pay for more facilities, trained staff, more court and legal fees because of appeals.

2) The public would never get behind it, we haven't had capital punishment for years.

3) It's against the UN human rights. You cannot end a life that is not yours to take, even if that person does the same. It makes us no better than them.
Yeah I'm not talking about them I'm talking about the ones that actually kill people. There will be two seperate prisons, one for people caught with knives and one for people who've stabbed someone. The idea of killing them will only take place in the second prison.
We have that already, it's called low and high security.

1) The cost would be astronomical. You have to pay for more facilities, trained staff, more court and legal fees because of appeals.

2) The public would never get behind it, we haven't had capital punishment for years.

3) It's against the UN human rights. You cannot end a life that is not yours to take, even if that person does the same. It makes us no better than them.

Haven't you heard of unexit, pc plod? :colone:
No thanks, I like to keep war crimes out my country :wink:
Haven't you heard of unexit, pc plod? :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending