The Student Room Group

Norwegian health minister says to 'let people drink and smoke'

An interesting remark from a minister of the crown

Norway's newly appointed health minister has caused controversy by saying people should be allowed to eat, smoke and drink "as much as they want".
Sylvi Listhaug also said smokers were made to feel like pariahs.
A populist politician with anti-immigration views, she was appointed as the new health minister on Friday, a year after being forced to quit over a security row.
Critics say she has little understanding of what public health is.

"My starting point for this with public health is very simple. I do not plan to be the moral police, and will not tell people how to live their lives, but I intend to help people get information that forms the basis for making choices," she told Norwegian broadcaster NRK in an interview on Monday.
"People should be allowed to smoke, drink and eat as much red meat as much as they want. The authorities may like to inform, but people know pretty much what is healthy and what is not healthy, I think."
Smokers were made to feel like pariahs, Ms Listhaug, herself a former smoker, added.
"I think many smokers feel like pariahs. So they almost feel they have to hide away, and I think that's stupid. Although smoking is not good, because it is harmful, adults have to decide for themselves what they do.
"The only thing we as governments are to do is to provide information so that people can make informed choices. That is why we should, among other things, [devise] a tobacco strategy now, which will help prevent young people from starting to smoke and often want to make more adults quit."

Ms Listhaug says she only smokes rarely now, mainly on social occasions.
Norway's Cancer Society's secretary general said Ms Listhaug's comments were potentially harmful to public health.
"Many will adhere to what she says. That is to say, public health [has been] set back many decades," Anne Lise Ryel told NRK.
Ms Listhaug, whose right-wing Progress Party is part of the four-member coalition government headed by the Conservative Party, is no stranger to controversy.
Last year, she was forced to resign after accusing the Labour and the Christian Democrats parties of putting "terrorists' rights" before national security after they helped defeat a bill that would have given the state the right to strip individuals of Norwegian citizenship if they were suspected of terrorism or of joining foreign militant groups.
The Christian Democrats, who were not in the cabinet at the time, threatened to bring down the government unless she quit.
In 2016, she was ridiculed for jumping off a rescue boat into the Mediterranean to see what it is like to be a refugee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48190197
Imagine the outcry if he had try to say anything else. If you are going to stop or limit these things where do you stop? A daily calorie intake limit? A legal limit on skirt lengths? A ban on swearing? Compulsory gym visits?

Your headline would then have been Fascist minister seeks prescriptive limits on common freedoms.
(edited 4 years ago)
Norway José
She is right.
She forgot to add smoke weed everyday. :mad:
Original post by the beer
She forgot to add smoke weed everyday. :mad:

Absolutely right. We know we shouldn’t drink too much beyond that what more can or SHOULD the state actually be doing?
Original post by Good bloke
Imagine the outcry if he had try to say anything else. If you are going to stop or limit these things where do you stop? A daily calorie intake limit? A legal limit on skirt lengths? A ban on swearing? Compulsory gym visits?

Your headline would then have been Fascist minister seeks prescriptive limits on common freedoms.

It's not seriously outrageous to say that there should be limits on alcohol consumption or cigarette use. Most people accept this.
Original post by SHallowvale
It's not seriously outrageous to say that there should be limits on alcohol consumption or cigarette use. Most people accept this.

Do they? Most people accept that over-use is not sensible, but who has advocated legal limits?
Do they? Most people accept that over-use is not sensible, but who has advocated legal limits?

To my knowledge there hasn't been any major objections to the current limits on either.
To my knowledge there hasn't been any major objections to the current limits on either.

There are no current limits. I can smoke as many cigarettes as I can, completely unfettered, and can drink as much alcohol as I can get down my throat.
There are no current limits. I can smoke as many cigarettes as I can, completely unfettered, and can drink as much alcohol as I can get down my throat.

There are age limits on both of them, we have smoking bans in certain public areas and we limit the amount of alcohol someone can drink if they are going to be driving.
There are age limits on both of them, we have smoking bans in certain public areas and we limit the amount of alcohol someone can drink if they are going to be driving.

None of which is what the Norwegian minister is talking about..
None of which is what the Norwegian minister is talking about..

So what are they talking about? And what are you talking about?

From my understanding there's no major campaign to limit the amount of certain food/drink people can consume, at least not in the UK. So what exact use does it have to declare that we shouldn't be limiting what people consume, unless you wish to talk about the current limits that exist?
That's how it should be like here
So what exact use does it have to declare that we shouldn't be limiting what people consume, unless you wish to talk about the current limits that exist?

That pretty well mirrors my thinking, as I made clear in my first post. Napp appears to think the minister has said something controversial, whereas, in fact, she has merely made a very bland statement about people's general consumption of alcohol etc that few would disagree with.
That pretty well mirrors my thinking, as I made clear in my first post. Napp appears to think the minister has said something controversial, whereas, in fact, she has merely made a very bland statement about people's general consumption of alcohol etc that few would disagree with.

Fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending