The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

For sixth form I want to do 4 but I feel like I would pressure myself if I do. However, If I do 3, I can’t pick between maths and physics so I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PetitePanda
For sixth form I want to do 4 but I feel like I would pressure myself if I do. However, If I do 3, I can’t pick between maths and physics so I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help?

Talk to a teacher first. see if they think you can mange to do 4. If you can, great. if you can't, think about which subject will benefit you more in the future. Personally, i would say maths as it is more practical but it is your choice. Good luck!!!
Hey! I'm a sixth former currently and I have 3 subjects and find it a lot!! there is honestly so much work to do, but then again it depends on which subjects you pick. Just pick the one you think would help you towards your future career.
Original post by Failingschool85
Talk to a teacher first. see if they think you can mange to do 4. If you can, great. if you can't, think about which subject will benefit you more in the future. Personally, i would say maths as it is more practical but it is your choice. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much I’ll talk to my teacher but should I talk to my teacher soon or near results day?
Original post by sukhmani kaur1
Hey! I'm a sixth former currently and I have 3 subjects and find it a lot!! there is honestly so much work to do, but then again it depends on which subjects you pick. Just pick the one you think would help you towards your future career.

Thank you so much but I’ve handled both coursework for art and dt really well while studying for everything else and dt test. Will I be able to handle 4?
Thank you so much I’ll talk to my teacher but should I talk to my teacher soon or near results day?

Talk to them as soon as possible .
which subjects are you thinking to take?
Thank you so much but I’ve handled both coursework for art and dt really well while studying for everything else and dt test. Will I be able to handle 4?
Original post by Failingschool85
Talk to them as soon as possible .

I will thank you so much
which subjects are you thinking to take?

The other ones is history and chemistry.
I think if you are going for all 4 subject you will be able to handle it well because if you took on dt and art coursework you may be able to smash the A-level work especially with the subjects you are thinking to take. However, if you can only choose 3 subjects I suggest you go for maths because if you later on decide to take a career in science and/or mathematics they will see you have a qualification in maths and perhaps take you on!
But at the end of the day, do what you think is right for you!
Good luck! Wish you all the very best!!!
The other ones is history and chemistry.
I think if you are going for all 4 subject you will be able to handle it well because if you took on dt and art coursework you may be able to smash the A-level work especially with the subjects you are thinking to take. However, if you can only choose 3 subjects I suggest you go for maths because if you later on decide to take a career in science and/or mathematics they will see you have a qualification in maths and perhaps take you on!
But at the end of the day, do what you think is right for you!
Good luck! Wish you all the very best!!!

Thank you so much for your advice it really did help me
I advise you take all four (maths, physics, chem and history) then do an AS in history as universities look for students that have subjects that link together. If you were to take just maths, chem and history, you will not look as competitive compared to someone who took maths, physics and chem however these three subjects I think are the hardest three subjects you can have at A Level but the topics links so well e.g for maths there is mechanics and in physics there mechanics and further mechanics. If you love maths then this would be great, however Physics in my case is my hardest a level so far you just need to always need to be on top of work. Also uni's advise you take 3 A Levels instead of 4 if you take 4 you dont really have any advantage.
Original post by FlexinHard
I advise you take all four (maths, physics, chem and history) then do an AS in history as universities look for students that have subjects that link together. If you were to take just maths, chem and history, you will not look as competitive compared to someone who took maths, physics and chem however these three subjects I think are the hardest three subjects you can have at A Level but the topics links so well e.g for maths there is mechanics and in physics there mechanics and further mechanics. If you love maths then this would be great, however Physics in my case is my hardest a level so far you just need to always need to be on top of work. Also uni's advise you take 3 A Levels instead of 4 if you take 4 you dont really have any advantage.

That’s a good point but history is the only one I want to do whole heartedly plus it’s an essay based subject so it’ll help contribute to what I want to do a bit. Plus there’s no AS in history only maths. I’ll ask to take 4 and if it’s right for me, thank you so much for your advice.

Please don't listen to the above poster regarding the image/competitiveness of Maths, Chemistry and History vs. Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Universities don't care and they're really not comparing the difficulty of high school exams during their spare time... The most important things are your grades - do you meet the entry requirements?

One thing you could do is 4 subjects initially and then drop the one that you find least interesting or the most difficult.

Also, the problem with doing History, Chemistry and Physics is that you might not be suitable for certain degrees. Engineering and Physics degrees may need A level physics and maths; a Chemistry degree may need A level chemistry and maths etc etc.

At the end of the day, if you enjoy History and you want to do it, go for it. With History, maybe consider doing Maths + either Physics or Chemistry (whichever one you prefer the most and the one which you may need for your preferred university degree).

If you're struggling to decide, consider doing 4 and then drop to 3. :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
One thing you could do is 4 subjects initially and then drop the one that you find least interesting or the most difficult.

Also, the problem with doing History, Chemistry and Physics is that you might not be suitable for certain degrees. Engineering and Physics degrees may need A level physics and maths; a Chemistry degree may need A level chemistry and maths etc etc.

At the end of the day, if you enjoy History and you want to do it, go for it. With History, maybe consider doing Maths + either Physics or Chemistry (whichever one you prefer the most and the one which you may need for your preferred university degree).

If you're struggling to decide, consider doing 4 and then drop to 3. :smile:

I do meet the entry requirements for all of them.

I could do that but my school told me about it’ll be a waste of time since you’ll be learning it instead of the other ones.

The degree I want to do just requires me to have good a levels.

Ohhhhh thanks if I do 3, I’ll pick history maths and a science. Thank you so much :smile:
Well I was in the same situation as you with wanting to take biology into A2 but I had to choose Physics as for my future course that is what uni's are looking for so with my situation because taking Physics as at A Level rather than Biology will make me look like a desirable candidate for the uni. Even though I'm amazing at Biology more than Physics with doing an AS in biology I have more time to study on Physics and this extra time is really effective as I've improved. I have a friend also in your position who takes maths, chem, biology and history although she is a amazing at history she doesnt wanna do it at uni as it is not linked with her other subjects so she is also doing an AS. At the end of the day, it is up to you and what you wanna do at uni even though she is quite early to decide you always have a few weeks to change subjects or drop any.

Wait till you get your grades back on results day and then pick the one with the highest grade/pick the subject that had the easier exam
Well I was in the same situation as you with wanting to take biology into A2 but I had to choose Physics as for my future course that is what uni's are looking for so with my situation because taking Physics as at A Level rather than Biology will make me look like a desirable candidate for the uni. Even though I'm amazing at Biology more than Physics with doing an AS in biology I have more time to study on Physics and this extra time is really effective as I've improved. I have a friend also in your position who takes maths, chem, biology and history although she is a amazing at history she doesnt wanna do it at uni as it is not linked with her other subjects so she is also doing an AS. At the end of the day, it is up to you and what you wanna do at uni even though she is quite early to decide you always have a few weeks to change subjects or drop any.

The course I wanna do really doesn’t have required A levels though but thank you for your experience and especially your friend’s experience it really helped me.
Original post by SarahRADI
Wait till you get your grades back on results day and then pick the one with the highest grade/pick the subject that had the easier exam

All the grades for each subject are similar though and I don’t really know which exam is easier

Hi there!

Firstly, I would definitely recommend only doing 3. It seems like it's a tiny amount of subjects but the amount of content that each one will have will make you spend more time on them than you would for your 10 GCSEs. 3 is already quite overwhelming to keep up with, and if you want top grades you need the time to work for them.

With regards to Maths, it also has an element of physics in it. You have 3 papers. 2 of them are on Pure Maths and one is on Statistics and Mechanics. The mechanics section is just physics, so if you enjoy physics but want to do maths there is an element in there too.

Maybe speak to your teachers about what topics are covered and pick the one you think you will excel in and also enjoy.

Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest