The Student Room Group

IGCSE biology

How does fish waste helps plants to grow?
Fish, unlike other organisms, excrete ammonia as a waste product. Ammonia (NH3) contains nitrogen which helps plants to grow. This is because it forms many components of the plant, including chlorophyll, allowing more photosynthesis to take place, thus increasing the plants growth.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi, so I have my exam in a few days and I was wondering if you have any revision tips?
Original post by JessNaomi19600
Fish, unlike other organisms, excrete ammonia as a waste product. Ammonia (NH3) contains nitrogen which helps plants to grow. This is because it forms many components of the plant, including chlorophyll, allowing more photosynthesis to take place, thus increasing the plants growth.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by EnterUsernameee
Hi, so I have my exam in a few days and I was wondering if you have any revision tips?

Hi, I will give you some that I find most useful :smile:

Do little and often and take regular breaks - its much more effective than doing lots all at once

Scribble method - write down a term/definition (for example, water) or a textbook chapter title (for example, respiration) and write down as much as you can possibly remember about a topic. Go back and check which parts are correct and fill in any parts that you didn't remember. Repeat this until you can recall everything to do with that topic. I find this really good as it shows you which topics you can or can't recall.

Practice exam questions

These are the methods I find most useful. I hope they help and Good Luck! :smile:
Fish waste basically contains ammonium, and if you link this closely to the Nitrogen Cycle, ammonia is converted into nitrites by nitrifying bacteria, usually present in the root nodules of leguminous plants, and these bacteria help convert this ammonia into nitrites, then into nitrates. Remember that plants can only absorb nitrates, and no other form! Now once this happens, it can easily be absorbed by the plants, and the nitrates are used for some of these functions;
- Helps promote growth of roots, stem and plants
- Helps with damaged tissues as well as effective tissue repair.
- Helps form proteins of course! -- enzymes and important structures!

:smile: Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending