The Student Room Group

Zero-tolerance policy

Which universities in UK have zero-tolerance policy for plagiarism ? Does it really mean that on your first mistake made you can get kicked out from your course ?
I suspect all of them. Plagiarism is a hardly a "mistake"
All of them, it's not ethical. Yes, because you broke the academic contract, they may just give you a 0 and make you resit
Original post by MrcMrc
Which universities in UK have zero-tolerance policy for plagiarism ? Does it really mean that on your first mistake made you can get kicked out from your course ?
Is it more like that they will give you a 0 or that they will expel you ? what do you think ?
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
All of them, it's not ethical. Yes, because you broke the academic contract, they may just give you a 0 and make you resit
First time offence, probably a 0, but its up to them, and the circumstances
Original post by MrcMrc
Is it more like that they will give you a 0 or that they will expel you ? what do you think ?
Depends how much of it was plagiarised, and how bad it was.

If you literally copy pasted work to try and pass it off as your own, they’ll be tough.

You worked in stuff you found into your own work but didn’t reference it? Probably more lenient, but will still be harsh.
Reply 6
It really depends on the severity of the offence. I have seen marks docked and compulsory completion of academic integrity courses, and I have seen people booted for first offences.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

Nah, it's a sliding scale. On some occasions, you can just be asked to remove the plagiarised work and resubmit (common in dissos).
if you commit plagiarism and your professor find it out, will he decide for the penalty you deserve or will the committee necessarily be involved ?
Should be the committee if the prof follows the guidelines
Original post by MrcMrc
if you commit plagiarism and your professor find it out, will he decide for the penalty you deserve or will the committee necessarily be involved ?
Can the prof decide not to follow the guidelines ? or he must follow it ?
Original post by brimstone131
Should be the committee if the prof follows the guidelines
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Nah, it's a sliding scale. On some occasions, you can just be asked to remove the plagiarised work and resubmit (common in dissos).

Surely capped at 40 in that case?
Original post by Palmyra
Surely capped at 40 in that case?

I believe in some cases they just want you to add a reference, so you get to keep your full grades or only have a slight deduction. It will be in uni regulations if you wanna check; sure I read something similar in mine before.

@gjd800 might have heard something similar?
--
I believe in some cases they just want you to add a reference, so you get to keep your full grades or only have a slight deduction. It will be in uni regulations if you wanna check; sure I read something similar in mine before.

(edited 4 years ago)

"Most cases of plagiarism can be attributed to poor scholarship and so can be addressed by deducting a number of marks proportionate to the level of faulty scholarship following the procedures for examiners" (Cam)

That makes sense to me, but it doesn't say what happens if a piece is so bad so as to be refused altogether (though they could deduct to 0-40).
Reply 15

If it is something so slight and a genuine error, my two will just 'remind' you in the marking notes that you need to add in a reference next time and leave it at that.
Why are you asking this? Any remotely respectable institution will not tolerate plagiarism. It's like asking which police forces have a zero-tolerance policy for theft.
Original post by MrcMrc
guys, take a look at this post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5933088 , which is closely related to this one

if you might have something to say in regard, please share

Pretty sure that thread and this one were made by the same person...

Anyway, no one can tell what an outcome will be for a specific incident, only general 'maybes'. If you have been found plagiarising, then you will just have to wait and see what the outcome is.
The penalty is officially you get kicked out (as it should be) but it seems to me on here like it not as black and white as that best not to risk it check and triple check your references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending