The Student Room Group

Danny Baker says he has been 'fired' over royal baby chimp tweet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LeapingLucy
He's suggesting that in order to realise it is racist, you have to be racist yourself. When in reality, you just have to not be ignorant.

I think he may be suggesting you have to be racist yourself to see his action as racist, in his state of ignorance of whatever it is that he's expected to be aware of. Anyone who has known him over the years will be tempted to believe him when he says he didn't approach it from a racial perspective, the BBC wouldn't take his CV into consideration and give him the benefit of the doubt. That was a certain and indeed a certificate of dubious judgment on his part.

That's a death penalty these days, we have the BBC to thank for their upholding of their zealous 'ethos and values'. They just have to be seen to do 'the right thing' as the screaming mob demands because that is the way public life is conducted these days, no doubt very much influenced by social media. He can go die in a corner, now that nobody will touch him he'll probably drink himself to oblivion. Have a toast, everyone.

He says he saw it all as a circus act. I believe him, why shouldn't I?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
The point is, is it racist if you didnt intend it to be so? It makes zero sense for him to make a racist comment knowing the consequences and being destroyed. If you listened to his radio show youd realise how harmless he is and how he goes at 100mph. If you think black people face prejudice today then ask your parents what it was like and their parents.

Just because racism today is better than it was in the past doesn't mean that we get to let racist people get away with being racist. Sure racism is better today than it was in the past but you could also argue 'Oh we shouldn't complain about the nhs, Oh we shouldn't complain about world hunger, after all it was far worse in the past'. The reason it is better now is because we punished racists, we made them pay for their racism! If we hadn't done that we'd still be a racist country! And we need to continue doing it, continue calling people out for racism so we don't backslide.

He knew what he was doing, don't call people 'hysterical' for asking grown adults to not make racist statements about a baby. Just because you may like a comedian, doesn't mean he should get a free pass, or else what sort of world are we living in?
Original post by Anotheranon
Just because racism today is better than it was in the past doesn't mean that we get to let racist people get away with being racist. Sure racism is better today than it was in the past but you could also argue 'Oh we shouldn't complain about the nhs, Oh we shouldn't complain about world hunger, after all it was far worse in the past'. The reason it is better now is because we punished racists, we made them pay for their racism! If we hadn't done that we'd still be a racist country! And we need to continue doing it, continue calling people out for racism so we don't backslide.

He knew what he was doing, don't call people 'hysterical' for asking grown adults to not make racist statements about a baby. Just because you may like a comedian, doesn't mean he should get a free pass, or else what sort of world are we living in?

See this is where you are coming across as unhinged. Punished + making them pay.
I dont believe he was being racist although I accept the fact that the photo was inappropriate.
How many episodes of his show have you listened to and over what period? You even know who he was before this?

The reason racism changed in the UK was because people became educated and social attitudes changed over the years.
I was pointing out the internet works itself into a frenzy on social media in no time at all.
Reply 43
Celebrities replaced with monkeys/chimps are "jokes" (not that funny to me) that he has done in the past. Once you know this then to me anyway, it becomes quite clear that he didn't intend it to be racist at all and it was a mistake. Since he took it down immediately and apologised I think it was wrong to sack him.
Reply 44
He knew what he was doing, don't call people 'hysterical' for asking grown adults to not make racist statements about a baby.

Like, he knew he was sharing a racist pic but still felt like hitting the button knowing full well what was to follow. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Original post by z-hog
Like, he knew he was sharing a racist pic but still felt like hitting the button knowing full well what was to follow. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Loads of comedians make offence jokes hoping they can get away with it, and most of them do. That's probably why he felt he could get away with it. Loads of people post racist, homophobic or sexist comments online, it happens everyday, so no I'm not that shocked that this guy has. People will always be publicly racist, and then surprised when they actually have to pay the consequences, there's a new news article everyday about some celebrity's unearthed racist tweets
obnoxious and downright re tarded. that word truly fits here idgaf.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He also did some of those awful celeb listing shows on telly (E4?) with his jokes intercut between vids of 'celebs' falling over/saying dumb stuff/being idiots, which weren't particularly funny.

can u and bear do more of those Jane Eyre dialogues! i need a laugh.
See this is where you are coming across as unhinged. Punished + making them pay.
I dont believe he was being racist although I accept the fact that the photo was inappropriate.
How many episodes of his show have you listened to and over what period? You even know who he was before this?

The reason racism changed in the UK was because people became educated and social attitudes changed over the years.
I was pointing out the internet works itself into a frenzy on social media in no time at all.

OMG why am I 'unhinged' because I think there should be consequences for racist comments about children? No I've never listened to his work. It doesn't matter what his work was before, it doesn't matter what a good comedian you thought he was. Just because you're talented doesn't mean that you can get away with being racist about a literal baby! I don't care about his work, I don't care how rich his, I don't care how famous he is, I don't care that you're a fan. It's not an excuse to make innapropriate comments about children.
Reply 49
Loads of comedians make offence jokes hoping they can get away with it, and most of them do. That's probably why he felt he could get away with it. Loads of people post racist, homophobic or sexist comments online, it happens everyday, so no I'm not that shocked that this guy has. People will always be publicly racist, and then surprised when they actually have to pay the consequences, there's a new news article everyday about some celebrity's unearthed racist tweets

Maybe but that is all an assumption, I don't really know what was in his head. I give him the benefit of the doubt and you or the BBC won't, that's fine. Impossible to see why he would 'knowingly' do it. For a laugh, really? His professional career is over, fgs.
(edited 4 years ago)
OMG why am I 'unhinged' because I think there should be consequences for racist comments about children? No I've never listened to his work. It doesn't matter what his work was before, it doesn't matter what a good comedian you thought he was. Just because you're talented doesn't mean that you can get away with being racist about a literal baby! I don't care about his work, I don't care how rich his, I don't care how famous he is, I don't care that you're a fan. It's not an excuse to make innapropriate comments about children.

Because you are using phrases like punished and making them pay.
I accept that the photo was unfortunate and could be construed as having a racist interpretation. It was mistake.
I dont accept he intended or is a racist. You dont care about his work because you would rather jump to false conclusions that fits your punishing and making them pay agenda. Carry on frothing.

It makes zero sense to throw your career away like that. You obviously know very little about the man.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't think theres any 'racist hysteria' going around. This man didn't lose his job because people are being hysterical. He is not the victim. He made a racist comment. Nobody forced him to do it. Black people are facing prejudice every day in the UK, and this prejudice will never stop until people who make racist comments about BABIES are punished. It's not hysteria to challenge that sort of behaviour.

Actually he didn't.He posted a picture of a chimp.Racism is one way of interpreting that picture but not the only one.It might well be about class or about the media circus.
Because you are using phrases like punished and making them pay.
I accept that the photo was unfortunate and could be construed as having a racist interpretation. It was mistake.
I dont accept he intended or is a racist. You dont care about his work because you would rather jump to false conclusions that fits your punishing and making them pay agenda. Carry on frothing.

It makes zero sense to throw your career away like that. You obviously know very little about the man.

Why shouldn't he be punished? Why shouldn't he pay? Why is it so controversial to say that a man should be punished for being racist to a literal baby? There is nothing wrong with punishing racism.
There are hundreds of celebrities who have made racist comments. It's an illogical thing to do, but racists are illogical people? We will never know for sure whether this was intentional, but he works in the entertainment industry, he is a role model, he should have been extra careful. He will find more work, they always do.
Why shouldn't he be punished? Why shouldn't he pay? Why is it so controversial to say that a man should be punished for being racist to a literal baby? There is nothing wrong with punishing racism.
There are hundreds of celebrities who have made racist comments. It's an illogical thing to do, but racists are illogical people? We will never know for sure whether this was intentional, but he works in the entertainment industry, he is a role model, he should have been extra careful. He will find more work, they always do.

Except nobody believe he is an actual racists except those willing to jump top conclusions. You obviously know very little about the man or his work. There was nothing to gain by destroying his own career.

I will oppose racism and condemn it, but I wont get hysterical over it specially when I believe he was just stupid for not seeing what other people might think of it. Anyway this is going round in circles so I will leave you to your punishing and frothing and will agree to disagree with you.
Except nobody believe he is an actual racists except those willing to jump top conclusions. You obviously know very little about the man or his work. There was nothing to gain by destroying his own career.

I will oppose racism and condemn it, but I wont get hysterical over it specially when I believe he was just stupid for not seeing what other people might think of it. Anyway this is going round in circles so I will leave you to your punishing and frothing and will agree to disagree with you.

Please stop calling me hysterical for calling out a man for being racist about a baby lol. Do you know what, I think you were right about the 'punishing' thing tho. Using that term makes him sound like a victim.

Danny has acted consistently and like a normal person would

Made a mistake without realising it
When he realised there was an unpleasant alternate interpretation he'd not thought of in the first instance he apologised and tried to correct the situation by deleting the photo as soon as he could.

I think this shows the paradoxical nature of twitter... people seem to want the spontaneous and unmediated thoughts of celebrities, but then they want to dissect them and hold them to the same standards as a bland corporate press release that's been cleared by a team of lawyers, deliberated over for a couple of hours and redrafted multiple times.
Reply 56
Original post by AJ126
Actually he didn't.He posted a picture of a chimp.Racism is one way of interpreting that picture but not the only one.It might well be about class or about the media circus.

How is posting a picture of a man, woman and chimp captioned 'Royal baby has arrived' a comment on class or the media? Thats was Danny Baker said, but with mothing to support that view.

Performing chimp = circus = media circus is so tenuous as to be a ridiculous link.
(edited 4 years ago)

But Danny Baker hasn't made offensive jokes in the past and he's never been the sort of comedian to try to get a laugh out of racist jokes. It's not really "him" which is why I think people are being too quick to jump to conclusions that he is racist over one tweet that was ambiguous in its meaning.
Reply 58
I thought the racist connotations were obvious, even though I dont think he is a racist. He was just ignorant.
The other problem was to do with the way he apologised, rather than being contrite and sincere he tried to laugh it off. {seems to have added more apology to it]

What a mess and a shame.

No more sausage sandwich game.

You don't think he is a racist? why? was he sacked for being ignorant do you think? I suspect you are just refusing to admit that such ignorant behaviour is ,in fact, racist! Why? because 'good white media personalities and white people who have nice jobs and know some black people 'could never be racist? It is the standard reflex reaction given by too many white people when another white person is suspected of a racist action. Have you met Danny Baker? If you haven't, then how did you decide, against the blatant admitted evidence, that he isn't racist?So if " racist connotations" of her person's behaviour doesn't make them a racist what on earth does?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by harrysbar
But Danny Baker hasn't made offensive jokes in the past and he's never been the sort of comedian to try to get a laugh out of racist jokes. It's not really "him" which is why I think people are being too quick to jump to conclusions that he is racist over one tweet that was ambiguous in its meaning.

You are not serious are you? Study his actions and the evidence carefully and look at your ' good previous character' argument. He is a racist. His previous behaviour is irrelevant. Its like saying that a person who shoplifts has never done so before; he is still a thief!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending