The Student Room Group

Single guy, fed up of being single

Scroll to see replies

I don't mean just sit around and wait for someone to come to you. I mean that he should wait to find that specific person and not force him self into a relationship just because he's desperate. That's just going to cause harm to you and the other person. Sure, go on a date but don't lead the wrong person on. Wait until you find the person you want to take out on a date, and then again, and again, until you want to make it a thing.
Original post by Dubz29
Bro your only 17 haha. Never advise someone to 'wait' . He has to be the one taking action everyday!
I love to be single
Original post by Drewski
27 is nothing. Don't be in a hurry.

Uh, 27 is getting pretty late. Definitely you won't wanna be single into your 30s... I'd say what you said to maybe a 20 year old.
Original post by Anonymous
Uh, 27 is getting pretty late. Definitely you won't wanna be single into your 30s... I'd say what you said to maybe a 20 year old.

Why?

There's no single reason why that is objectively true. The average age of first marriages in this country is now over 30. And half of all marriages end in divorce, so you get a second chance... There's absolutely no reason why someone should be coupled up at 27, any more than there's a reason at 22, 23, 24.....34, 35.

All you're doing is perpetuating your own myth and stereotype. It's crap and pointless.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by oglez92
More of a rant more than anything. But hopefully there's someone who will relate

I'm not the best looking guy in the world but I feel like I've got so much to offer. I'm educated, ambitious, have a good job and decent salary. I'm passionate about music and set up my own events company this year. I have a solid set of values and morales.
I have relied far too heavily on dating sites in the past, even if it seems like the only way I've ever got a date. I'm out pretty much every weekend now, meeting people, putting myself out there and just hoping I can meet her. Every girl I speak to seems to be married or taken in these situations.

Some will say "stop looking and it'll come". Well I've waited 27 years. I'd have thought one of my friends could have set me up by now.

That is your problem. Dating sites are not the way to meet people - you waited too long to start meeting people irl so now most of the decent girls are taken. No advice really, other than to keep trying to meet new people.
so you really a "good guy"?
Original post by oglez92
More of a rant more than anything. But hopefully there's someone who will relate

I'm not the best looking guy in the world but I feel like I've got so much to offer. I'm educated, ambitious, have a good job and decent salary. I'm passionate about music and set up my own events company this year. I have a solid set of values and morales.
I have relied far too heavily on dating sites in the past, even if it seems like the only way I've ever got a date. I'm out pretty much every weekend now, meeting people, putting myself out there and just hoping I can meet her. Every girl I speak to seems to be married or taken in these situations.

Some will say "stop looking and it'll come". Well I've waited 27 years. I'd have thought one of my friends could have set me up by now.
Original post by Drewski
Why?

There's no single reason why that is objectively true. The average age of first marriages in this country is now over 30. And half of all marriages end in divorce, so you get a second chance... There's absolutely no reason why someone should be coupled up at 27, any more than there's a reason at 22, 23, 24.....34, 35.

All you're doing is perpetuating your own myth and stereotype. It's crap and pointless.

I'll try not to be as rude and immature as you in my response. OP implies that he has never been in a proper relationship by 27, despite very much wanting to and trying hard. Obviously it only gets harder as you age. There's absolutely no reason why this won't continue for another few years if it did for his whole life. His candidate pool is decreasing rapidly as he ages; in the 30s most people are married or at least in some sort of relationship. It IS getting late when you're 27, this is just common sense. Not necessarily too late, but it doesn't look good when, again, he hasn't been in an actual relationship his whole life. He probably needs to change something he's doing.
Original post by Drewski
Why?

Also almost no one wants to be single through their entire 20s. That's not a 'myth and stereotype'. That's fact. Please don't belittle OPs problem.
in the 30s most people are married or at least in some sort of relationship

A lot are, but most? No. Try being that age. You'll see a lot of single people, for all kinds of reasons. It does not need to be painted as some kind of horrible dilemma that someone must go out and fix immediately.
Original post by Drewski
A lot are, but most? No. Try being that age. You'll see a lot of single people, for all kinds of reasons. It does not need to be painted as some kind of horrible dilemma that someone must go out and fix immediately.

You're grasping at straws now. I'm not painting it like that at all. I'm just it's getting late and OP should think about changing his approach. Feels like you're just arguing for the sake of pride now.
And you seemed to ignore my point that it's not all about eventually getting into a relationship. People don't generally like to spend 20-30 single and that's perfectly understandable.
I m too young to advice you:colondollar: but dont push yourself too hard.
To be honest , not bluffing about anything i am a girl who was all about studies ,not much of social life( i am introvert people mistake me to be arrogant 😅)I didn’t have friend and i was just wishing to have a friend and i kept being friendly improving my personality and i got a bf who is just like my best friend. I got lucky.
Keep it natural , but don’t give up. Also , try to meet people in real life, expand your friend circle try new things . It is all about timing , when it has to happen it will happen. Love yourself .
All the best for future.✌🏻
And you seemed to ignore my point that it's not all about eventually getting into a relationship. People don't generally like to spend 20-30 single and that's perfectly understandable.

Yes, but there's a difference between what you like and what you can actually get.

Objectively, being unhappy about it and negative about your situation is only going to perpetuate the problem, feeding a desperation to change that will generally only need to bad resolutions, rather than anything helpful.

Allowing yourself to get angry and bitter about it - and I'm not saying OP is, but it can happen and suggesting that they feel a time pressure won't help - is counter productive at best and dangerous at worst.
honestly what alot of men never seem to grasp is the improvement of your image. Women are constantly trying to improve their appearance and make themselves look better (which i dont actually see this as a bad thing) and men never try and improve themselves only complain that women never want them. so you think youre not very good looking, do something about it. go to the gym, get a haircut, improve your wardrobe these are the things most women are doing constantly to better themselves and i think its about time that men started to see that youre not just doomed to be unattractive theres so much you can do to improve your looks
Original post by kimkywep
honestly what alot of men never seem to grasp is the improvement of your image. Women are constantly trying to improve their appearance and make themselves look better (which i dont actually see this as a bad thing) and men never try and improve themselves only complain that women never want them. so you think youre not very good looking, do something about it. go to the gym, get a haircut, improve your wardrobe these are the things most women are doing constantly to better themselves and i think its about time that men started to see that youre not just doomed to be unattractive theres so much you can do to improve your looks

Honestly a good hair cut makes a massive difference 😂 Tho don’t obsess about the gym too much, yeah we all like a hottie but as long as you’re healthy you’re alright. (Most of my friend’s boyfriends that have been long-term have been quite dad bod)
Original post by oglez92
Physical: shorter than me (5"9), curvy/little extra.
Interests: I've always liked the nerdier/geeky girls, or the creative types. To be honest I couldn't imagine being with someone who didn't love music as much as me. It's a huge part of my life. There's other interests though.
Personality: maybe a bit more out going, outdoorsy. Not too sure about it this. I've dated quiet girls .I didn't like it .

Religion: agnostic or atheist. Ideally left wing politically.

I find ambition and education so attractive.

Deal-breaker. A woman with children could be tricky but it could work. A girl who wants to go travelling for months at a time really doesn't appeal to me .

Omg that sounds like me 👀👀 too bad I’m 20 and 7 yrs is just too big an age gap for me. (My tinder/hinge age setting is 19-25, dealbreaker for me, call me ageist but that’s how I feel.)
Original post by StealingThunder
Honestly a good hair cut makes a massive difference 😂 Tho don’t obsess about the gym too much, yeah we all like a hottie but as long as you’re healthy you’re alright. (Most of my friend’s boyfriends that have been long-term have been quite dad bod)

yeah same im not a fan of the muscular guys but i know a lot of women are and if a guys face is not so good but theyre ripped theyll get girls for sure
Get yourself out there.

You can try online dating, speed dating, joining clubs out of interest, meeting females through education, work, social circle, network. Going to bars, joining a social club and also approaching females.

Be your best self, dress well, groom well, have a good hairstyle, relax.

Be confident in yourself and have good social/conversation skills.
Reply 38
Original post by StealingThunder
Omg that sounds like me 👀👀 too bad I’m 20 and 7 yrs is just too big an age gap for me. (My tinder/hinge age setting is 19-25, dealbreaker for me, call me ageist but that’s how I feel.)

We probably live on other sides of the country too haha
Reply 39
You're re just making a load of assumptions here. I am going to the gym and doing something about it. The long hair seems to put girls off, but some obsess over it. It's part of who I am.
Original post by kimkywep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending