The Student Room Group

Is it time for a United Ireland?

Scroll to see replies

Because people are innately caught up in this United Kingdom rubbish, without knowing pros and cons of it. All it is based on is some idea of togetherness, we are one crap which does not add to any benefits.
I don’t really see why this is a good argument to keep propping NI up financially. They are Irish, not British, by nationality. If any other nationality in the world self identified as British does that mean we should start paying for their country aswell? No
Original post by gsmyth
There is may people in NI who identify as British and fulfil their whole culture around the UK some people in NI are more British than some people. The majority of parties in wish to keep the Union the way it is.
Agreed; NI needs to hit the road. We have no need of it
Original post by random_matt
Because people are innately caught up in this United Kingdom rubbish, without knowing pros and cons of it. All it is based on is some idea of togetherness, we are one crap which does not add to any benefits.
Original post by L i b
It is also the 21st century and the economic argument of "there's a salty sea-channel there" doesn't really hold water anymore. In today's economy, most trade is in the service sector. It is not bounded by the sea. In Northern Ireland's case particularly, this can be quite easily seen by the relative amount of trade it does with Great Britain and the Republic.

The economic argument only really works if you're talking about a multi-decade restructuring of Northern Ireland's economy to align with the Republic. And trading a common domestic market of 66 million for one of five million only really works if you factor in the EU. Which is all well and good, except for the clearly extant trade barriers that exist between member-states like Britain and Ireland and the EU. In short, it's difficult to conclude otherwise than that the UK union has greater economic value to Northern Ireland than a looser union with the European Union complemented with a tighter union with the Irish Republic.

From an economic standpoint, Irish unification would be a lot of short-to-medium term pain for a long-term loss.

There would be alot more economic repercussions for NI leaving the EU than there would be leaving the UK. 66 million v 512 million. Trade with the Republic always have been a political issue (Kilroot) so there's no surprise trade with the South is lower.
Reply 24
That is not true at all, there are more people in NI that hold British Citizenship than they do Irish Citizenship.
It's called Northern Ireland; the clue of their nationality is in the name. They are historically and culturally Irish
Original post by gsmyth
That is not true at all, there are more people in NI that hold British Citizenship than they do Irish Citizenship.
Reply 26
It was created under the quote "A British place for a British People."
Irrelevant; we British forced ourselves onto Ireland; they did not choose to join the UK through democratic choice of their own. So it is time we undid this and allowed them to rejoin the ROI
Original post by gsmyth
It was created under the quote "A British place for a British People."
Reply 28
There was a vote on Independence in the 1970s which the yes vote was overwhelmingly denied.
Yes there certainly should be a united Ireland, the British should leave Ireland to the Irish.
Original post by gsmyth
A of distress is being caused here in NI over Brexit and how it is going to affect our key economic sectors. So is it time for a United Ireland?

Please drop your opinions down below. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Jamesman1
Yes there certainly should be a united Ireland, the British should leave Ireland to the Irish.

Why?
That was back in the 1970's:

https://www.thejournal.ie/united-ireland-poll-3-4059433-Jun2018/

For now it's still slim majority; but I can see more northern irelanders becoming supportive of a re-united ireland in future
Original post by gsmyth
There was a vote on Independence in the 1970s which the yes vote was overwhelmingly denied.
(edited 4 years ago)
Because 'Northern Ireland' is a occupation, all Ireland should be Irish, the British stole that part of Ireland and it's about time they give it back.
Original post by gsmyth
Why?
Reply 33
Yes so can I. It will happen but right now I am not bothered leaving or staying
A united Ireland doesn't solve the problem it just changes the nature of it. At present Northern Ireland is a British country with a substantial amount of allegiance to the Republic of Ireland. If you had a united Ireland you would simple have the opposite problem. Satisfying the desires of republicans will just further inflame unionists.
But either way Ireland belongs to the Irish and the British simply have no reason or right to occupy the north of our country. You can't just use lame political reasons to make this fact "all ok"
Original post by limetang
A united Ireland doesn't solve the problem it just changes the nature of it. At present Northern Ireland is a British country with a substantial amount of allegiance to the Republic of Ireland. If you had a united Ireland you would simple have the opposite problem. Satisfying the desires of republicans will just further inflame unionists.
But either way Ireland belongs to the Irish and the British simply have no reason or right to occupy the north of our country. You can't just use lame political reasons to make this fact "all ok"

Northern Ireland was created in 1921, when*Ireland was divided*between Northern Ireland and*Southern Ireland*by the*Government of Ireland act 1920 Unlike*Southern Ireland which would become the*Irish Free State*in 1922, the majority of Northern Ireland's population were*unionists, who wanted to remain within the United Kingdom. They were Irish to begin with, they were born Irish and they will die Irish. Just because they weren't born in the Republic of Ireland, doesn't stop them being Irish.

1)
The phrase Ireland belongs to the Irish is pretty meaningless. Both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland belong to the people that live there. I don't live in Northern Ireland it's not for me to say whether I think it should be part of the UK or part of the Republic. The only people's opinion that matters on that are the people of Northern Ireland.

2) My point was not a moral one of who Northern Ireland belongs to (I have however addressed that in point 1)). My point is simply that reunification is NOT a panacea. It doesn't solve the core problem and your comment exemplifies this. Reunification would make republicans happy and would piss of loyalists. Your problem of a split northern Irish identity does not get solved by it.

I mean don't get m wrong, if I were being selfish I would much rather reunification. Let the republic deal with this problem instead of Britain, much less stress.
No, the unionist population in the North of Ireland are descendants of settlers that came from Scotland and England to assert British rule in the north of Ireland and to make the Irish a minority in the north of Ireland there still to this day this Irish minority people in the north who are very much Irish but theres nothing Irish about the unionist population in the north, no Irish blood, they never fly the Irish flag, they even show the Scottish flag on the poles in there streets.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Northern Ireland was created in 1921, when*Ireland was divided*between Northern Ireland and*Southern Ireland*by the*Government of Ireland act 1920 Unlike*Southern Ireland which would become the*Irish Free State*in 1922, the majority of Northern Ireland's population were*unionists, who wanted to remain within the United Kingdom. They were Irish to begin with, they were born Irish and they will die Irish. Just because they weren't born in the Republic of Ireland, doesn't stop them being Irish.
No, the unionist population in the North of Ireland are descendants of settlers that came from Scotland and England to assert British rule in the north of Ireland and to make the Irish a minority in the north of Ireland there still to this day this Irish minority people in the north who are very much Irish but theres nothing Irish about the unionist population in the north, no Irish blood, they never fly the Irish flag, they even show the Scottish flag on the poles in there streets.

Rubbish, the majority of them were nationalist Catholics who wanted to unite. Do you know your own history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending