The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

@-MikeMike-
Hey there, I agree open-ended questions are really tough. My brother advised me the 3rd mark always depends on the marker. But the first 2 are from knowledge and diagrams.
Mr. Smith Physics is an excellent youtube channel, I have strengthened all my topics because of those videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_kdcG3xwcEM33u1dfuMDZg- Mr. Smith Physics.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/mchsphysicsdepartment/

This website has excellent summary notes. I used them for my assessments and turned out to be effective, read how to pass physics as it has great tips on tackling past papers.

Rest assured, if you have any more queries feel free to message. Best of luck for your upcoming exams:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Just me that knows my electricity notes off by heart but has no clue how to any of the questions relating to circuits? I'm perfectly confident with everything else, but I feel like I will be let down due to electricity, because I just have no idea how to answer them.
Original post by Strelzo
Just me that knows my electricity notes off by heart but has no clue how to any of the questions relating to circuits? I'm perfectly confident with everything else, but I feel like I will be let down due to electricity, because I just have no idea how to answer them.

I understand, it's like sometimes I get my answers correct but in tests or past papers it ends up wrong.
Don't worry too much about it as long as you know your resistance formulas. Is it the resistance bit you are struggling with or mixed circuits with Voltage and finding the overall current?
I got 68% in my prelim and I'm aiming for an A in my exam so I was a little disappointed. Any tips for revising before the exam
Actually, usually the grade boundary for a A is 68%. The SQA like to have approx 30% of candidates achieve an A and it just so happens that in recent years, that's lowered the A grade to 68%. I was having the exact same struggle- but remember that no matter what happens in the exam you still have your assignment which can sometimes boost your grade significantly xx
Original post by Crazymuffineater
I got 68% in my prelim and I'm aiming for an A in my exam so I was a little disappointed. Any tips for revising before the exam
Thanks, that's made me feel a bit better 🙂
Original post by rittajmoghal29
I understand, it's like sometimes I get my answers correct but in tests or past papers it ends up wrong.
Don't worry too much about it as long as you know your resistance formulas. Is it the resistance bit you are struggling with or mixed circuits with Voltage and finding the overall current?

It's the really awkward mixed circuits that include transistor's/mosfet's/led's, etc. I scheduled a date to go over some things with my teacher regarding electricity, and it cleared things up, I'd say I'm 70/30 now, but shouldn't matter to much as long as I study my other stuff.
image.jpgI was finding the transistor ones difficult too and these are the notes I took that cleared it up for me, in case they might be of use to somebody out there.
Original post by Strelzo
It's the really awkward mixed circuits that include transistor's/mosfet's/led's, etc. I scheduled a date to go over some things with my teacher regarding electricity, and it cleared things up, I'd say I'm 70/30 now, but shouldn't matter to much as long as I study my other stuff.
Original post by Vladimir Poutine
image.jpgI was finding the transistor ones difficult too and these are the notes I took that cleared it up for me, in case they might be of use to somebody out there.

Yep, they are the questions that are a pain lol. I know notes off of the top of my head, just trying to answer a question doesn't come as clear to me as it does others. So thanks for your help :smile:
The thing that also messed me up I'd say is one of my teachers, we have this really good teacher, and this really crappy one. The good teacher explains everything in great detail and is the one who I went for help, the crappy one went into higher and got my notes to be all over the place and to not make sense.
Original post by Strelzo
Yep, they are the questions that are a pain lol. I know notes off of the top of my head, just trying to answer a question doesn't come as clear to me as it does others. So thanks for your help :smile:
I know right? Electricity ones are just difficult and boring.
Original post by Strelzo
Yep, they are the questions that are a pain lol.

Good notes, if the active resistor (the LDR, Thermistor etc) is in the lower leg of the Voltage Divider then the transistor will switch on when the (Light level, temperature etc) is Low- or a low level sensor circuit. Once the transistor switches on, current flows through the lamp which will illuminate (on) , also sometimes a relay is used here to provide for high-voltage output.
Conversely if the active resistor is in the upper leg then the transistor will switch on when the light level, temperature etc, is high.
A BJT or Bipolar Junction Transistor has base-emitter-collector as in above image (SQA just use npn types as switches, not amplifier dont worry about Hfe).
Learn what a MOSFET is and remember where the gate, source and drain are on the symbol ( a mosfet switches on with gate voltage 2volt2volt.
A thermistor, LDR etc are semiconductor devices- these don't obey Ohms Law (i.e. they don't have fixed resistance). Ohms Law can be written as V=IRV=IR
(edited 4 years ago)
How is everyone feeling for the exam? What do you all find the hardest? Just curious to see if it’s the same as what I think.
Original post by beth1709
How is everyone feeling for the exam? What do you all find the hardest? Just curious to see if it’s the same as what I think.

Everything is pretty easy; then there's electricity - nightmare electrical circuit questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by beth1709

I’m really nervous since physics isn’t a very strong subject for me. I find electricity quite difficult - one minute i think i understand it, but then i get a question that makes no sense to what i’ve just learned which can be very frustrating. I’m gonna work hard though for the next couple of days so that I can get a good grade. The annoying thing is that i’ve got history on Monday and French on Tuesday, so i’ll be exhausted for physics on wednesday but fingers crossed that it’ll be ok ahaha
Same here - really stressful weekend coming up for us lot!
Same here - really stressful weekend coming up for us lot!

Next week is going to be hell, starting on the 14th, I have French, 15th I have Physics and 16th I have Business Management in the morning and Design and Manufacture in the afternoon. However once I complete these, I'll only have Computing Science left to do and then I'm done.
Original post by Strelzo
Next week is going to be hell, starting on the 14th, I have French, 15th I have Physics and 16th I have Business Management in the morning and Design and Manufacture in the afternoon. However once I complete these, I'll only have Computing Science left to do and then I'm done.

That sounds horrendous!
Yeah, I’m the exact same. Had English on Thursday, Chemistry today and then have French, Physics and History next week. I am so exhausted
Original post by zras83
I’m really nervous since physics isn’t a very strong subject for me. I find electricity quite difficult - one minute i think i understand it, but then i get a question that makes no sense to what i’ve just learned which can be very frustrating. I’m gonna work hard though for the next couple of days so that I can get a good grade. The annoying thing is that i’ve got history on Monday and French on Tuesday, so i’ll be exhausted for physics on wednesday but fingers crossed that it’ll be ok ahaha
Original post by Labrador99
That sounds horrendous!

Oh it is! xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending