The Student Room Group

University life

okay so I'm going to university in September, which is in another city, about an hour away from where I live now (with my family) I'll be living on campus. im feeling pretty nervous about moving away, I dont get along well with people my age and im 19, I messed up a year at college so I had to retake it so im basically a year behind anyway so everybody is going to be a year younger than me. Is there anything anybody can recommend in regards to making new friends, not feeling homesick and getting depressed? I get anxious a lot and struggle to do major things on my phone, my sister always says that I 'need to be baby sat' but I think thats an exaggeration. also, what do you guys recommend in regards to saving up before I go? how much money should I save before I go to uni just to keep myself afloat before I get. job and my loan comes in etc etc?
Hello!

Firstly I just want to say well done for getting into university! I myself joined into university year later than the rest of my school group due to not receiving the grades so getting through that extra year to do what you want to do is already a big win in my books.

I'll try to give my advice in the easiest way to read possible!

Making friends:
- Be bold - It can be difficult making friends but sometimes the first step is all that is needed, to just say hello and strike up a conversation. Ask questions, sometimes people can be shy like yourself so asking about likes/dislikes, hobbies and interests is a good way to carry on a conversation which isn't about the weather!:groovy:
- Cover all bases - Don't just expect that your flat or class as the only places where you will find friends. Check your SU, local groups or even get a job as a way to make some extra money and some colleagues/friends.
- Be proactive - If you have made friends or even just fancy trying to solidify a friendship make sure to invite people for a walk for weekly or general shop, food/drink, cinema etc. Equally, be sure to accept invites from others. I am terrible for wanting to stay in cosy and warm but by just saying "Yes" to meeting people for a social activity has left me with some of the best memories.:dancing2:

Homesick / Depression
- Talk to people - If you are ever feeling down be sure to chat to either friends, family or support staff at the university. Moving away is no joke especially with the stress of university deadlines and newly found responsibilities for bills, travel and everything else however it does not mean there aren't people or services there to help you through it. At Liverpool Hope we have a dedicated Student development and well-being team on site and I'm sure your university will have the same.
- Stay occupied & visit/be visited - I moved from N. Ireland to Liverpool and thought I would be homesick missing my friends or family but I found that keeping occupied either with friends, work or activities I wasn't too bad. You're also lucky in that if you do find yourself missing home you could go home every so often if it is an hour away. Be aware though this may not always be possible due to financial constraints or time with university so it's never too cheeky to ask your family/friends to visit you too. :wink:

Finance
- I'm sure you will have spoken to Student Finance already about funding, if not then be sure to check them out! They offer maintenance loans which can be very helpful with managing your day to day costs whilst studying with/without a job. Should you have applied or are going to then a start would be to look at how much you get verses how much you have to spend per week or month on accommodation / bills / food / travel / social activities. By doing this you can see how much you should need month to month.:ms:
- It's hard to put a specific figure out there so I would recommend looking at what you need when there from pots, pans, household cleaning products, bed sheets etc. It can be costly at the beginning so look up items and a first shop online to get a good idea of what you need to budget for. If anything just make sure you have enough for the basics and a rainy day fund set aside should you need any funds for impromptu travel / events / items etc.
- Be sure to look at guides to save money, cards such as a railcard, student card or NUS card to get you discounts. All of these help in the long run.

Well, I've shared my thoughts and hope this is useful for you, if nothing else it is all food for thought! University is not as scary as it may seem, I would say planning is the most important part to getting through it so even by posting this in the hopes to prepare I'd like to think you are on the right track!

If you have any other thoughts or questions please let me know I'll be sure to pop another (maybe not as lengthy) response. :biggrin:

Patrick :lep:

(Original post by cherrrryxo)
okay so I'm going to university in September, which is in another city, about an hour away from where I live now (with my family) I'll be living on campus. im feeling pretty nervous about moving away, I dont get along well with people my age and im 19, I messed up a year at college so I had to retake it so im basically a year behind anyway so everybody is going to be a year younger than me. Is there anything anybody can recommend in regards to making new friends, not feeling homesick and getting depressed? I get anxious a lot and struggle to do major things on my phone, my sister always says that I 'need to be baby sat' but I think thats an exaggeration. also, what do you guys recommend in regards to saving up before I go? how much money should I save before I go to uni just to keep myself afloat before I get. job and my loan comes in etc etc?
Reply 2
Original post by cherrrryxo

Hey. I’m in a very similar position to you! Gap year, due to not getting the grades I needed, being a year behind etc, what uni will you be going too? And what degree!
Reply 3
thank god im not alone! im going to Nottingham Trent uni to study criminology? what about you?
Original post by Laya_
Hey. I’m in a very similar position to you! Gap year, due to not getting the grades I needed, being a year behind etc, what uni will you be going too? And what degree!
Reply 4
thank you SO much for your response, it is highly appreciated. I must say, it has made me feel much more optimistic and confident about starting uni!
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

Firstly I just want to say well done for getting into university! I myself joined into university year later than the rest of my school group due to not receiving the grades so getting through that extra year to do what you want to do is already a big win in my books.

I'll try to give my advice in the easiest way to read possible!

Making friends:
- Be bold - It can be difficult making friends but sometimes the first step is all that is needed, to just say hello and strike up a conversation. Ask questions, sometimes people can be shy like yourself so asking about likes/dislikes, hobbies and interests is a good way to carry on a conversation which isn't about the weather!:groovy:
- Cover all bases - Don't just expect that your flat or class as the only places where you will find friends. Check your SU, local groups or even get a job as a way to make some extra money and some colleagues/friends.
- Be proactive - If you have made friends or even just fancy trying to solidify a friendship make sure to invite people for a walk for weekly or general shop, food/drink, cinema etc. Equally, be sure to accept invites from others. I am terrible for wanting to stay in cosy and warm but by just saying "Yes" to meeting people for a social activity has left me with some of the best memories.:dancing2:

Homesick / Depression
- Talk to people - If you are ever feeling down be sure to chat to either friends, family or support staff at the university. Moving away is no joke especially with the stress of university deadlines and newly found responsibilities for bills, travel and everything else however it does not mean there aren't people or services there to help you through it. At Liverpool Hope we have a dedicated Student development and well-being team on site and I'm sure your university will have the same.
- Stay occupied & visit/be visited - I moved from N. Ireland to Liverpool and thought I would be homesick missing my friends or family but I found that keeping occupied either with friends, work or activities I wasn't too bad. You're also lucky in that if you do find yourself missing home you could go home every so often if it is an hour away. Be aware though this may not always be possible due to financial constraints or time with university so it's never too cheeky to ask your family/friends to visit you too. :wink:

Finance
- I'm sure you will have spoken to Student Finance already about funding, if not then be sure to check them out! They offer maintenance loans which can be very helpful with managing your day to day costs whilst studying with/without a job. Should you have applied or are going to then a start would be to look at how much you get verses how much you have to spend per week or month on accommodation / bills / food / travel / social activities. By doing this you can see how much you should need month to month.:ms:
- It's hard to put a specific figure out there so I would recommend looking at what you need when there from pots, pans, household cleaning products, bed sheets etc. It can be costly at the beginning so look up items and a first shop online to get a good idea of what you need to budget for. If anything just make sure you have enough for the basics and a rainy day fund set aside should you need any funds for impromptu travel / events / items etc.
- Be sure to look at guides to save money, cards such as a railcard, student card or NUS card to get you discounts. All of these help in the long run.

Well, I've shared my thoughts and hope this is useful for you, if nothing else it is all food for thought! University is not as scary as it may seem, I would say planning is the most important part to getting through it so even by posting this in the hopes to prepare I'd like to think you are on the right track!

If you have any other thoughts or questions please let me know I'll be sure to pop another (maybe not as lengthy) response. :biggrin:

Patrick :lep:

(Original post by cherrrryxo)
thank you SO much for your response, it is highly appreciated. I must say, it has made me feel much more optimistic and confident about starting uni!

Hello,

No problems at all, please do let us know if you have any further questions or advice.

Tom :five:
Reply 6
thank god im not alone! im going to Nottingham Trent uni to study criminology? what about you?

Hopefully I'll be going to the University of Leeds to study LLB Law! So quite similar to the degree you're doing :smile:
I needed the grades AAA but the grades I got last year were ABB. I'm resitting my Bs and the university still gave me an offer because I applied under extenuating circumstances! So got very lucky, but hopefully I really do much better this year..

Here's hoping, sending luck and love 😊❤️
i'm going to nottingham trent to study psychology!!! only thing is all the accommodation is full and i haven't got a place to stay lol :frown: what accommodation are you staying in?

Hey, Well done on getting into uni! An hour away i think is great as its not too far if you do feel a bit home sick and want to come home at the weekend! :smile:. I would say just try to get involved as much as you can, join lots of societies to begin with and generally chat to people! Lots of people come to uni at all different ages so i really wouldn't worry about this! Just make sure you have things that make you feel comfortable around, like your home comforts. Make sure you keep busy so your not sat by yourself thinking about it all because it can be overwhelming! Personally i spent about £30-£40 per week on a budget :smile:. Hope this helps! Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Thanks, Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending