The Student Room Group

AS Level Sociology CIE May/June 2019 (Paper 1: 9699)

If anyone is nervous or would like to discuss any areas they aren't 100% with, this is the place!

Scroll to see replies

How do you revise sociology?
Reply 2
Original post by Olivia.Omo16
How do you revise sociology?

I usually just cry into the textbook and hope that osmosis will work.

In all honesty tho, I like to make posters and mindmaps of the different larger topics so as they can be easily broken down into smaller chunks and linked together easier. It also helps me to fit at least some theorists in.
Which questions do you think might come up?
Reply 4
Original post by jules040401
Which questions do you think might come up?

My teacher has said that she thinks it will be something to do with marriage, cohabitation and divorce, and I hope it is because she predicted last year's, and it's all I've revised.
Which ones do you think will be in the education paper?
Reply 6
Original post by jules040401
Which ones do you think will be in the education paper?

Not a clue. Hoping something to do with IQ Tests. I'm just trying to focus on Papers 1 and 2 at the minute.
I'm revising right now. I understand the perspectives well and I'm pretty good at critical analysis, but I'm rubbish at remembering who said what.

The other day I was writing down Carlin and Harris' objections to Parsons' functional fit theory and I accidentally wrote Calvin instead of Carlin. Then I started singing "I got opinions on functional fit theory for you if you were born in the 80s".

I'm a bit nervous because I'm studying on my own and I've no idea whether I'm hitting the mark or not. I need a B.
Reply 8
Original post by BoilingMarmalade
I'm revising right now. I understand the perspectives well and I'm pretty good at critical analysis, but I'm rubbish at remembering who said what.

The other day I was writing down Carlin and Harris' objections to Parsons' functional fit theory and I accidentally wrote Calvin instead of Carlin. Then I started singing "I got opinions on functional fit theory for you if you were born in the 80s".

I'm a bit nervous because I'm studying on my own and I've no idea whether I'm hitting the mark or not. I need a B.

Perspectives I can do, it's just remembering proper supporting theorists.

I need a B to get into Uni, so really need a B/A in these resits to help cope with Paper 3.
Lol osmosis!?! Last tome I heard that word was GCSES. And thanks for the help

Original post by Noonieiom
I usually just cry into the textbook and hope that osmosis will work.

In all honesty tho, I like to make posters and mindmaps of the different larger topics so as they can be easily broken down into smaller chunks and linked together easier. It also helps me to fit at least some theorists in.
I'm hoping for a 25 mark question on the relationship between the family and the state.
Got paper 12, disappointed with the lack of Marxism. Didn't give myself enough time for the last question so it looks like I plucked my conclusion out of thin air. Aaaaah!
Reply 12
Well, that one is over and done with! On to Theories and Methods next week. How is everyone feeling?
Original post by Noonieiom
Well, that one is over and done with! On to Theories and Methods next week. How is everyone feeling?

Got two biology papers tomorrow, going to get them out of the way first, then I'll get cracking with the theory and methods. Apparently acronyms are useful for this one. Like when evaluating research you can use P.E.R.V.E.R.T. Practicality, Ethics, Reliability, Validity, Enough? Resources, Theories. I found that one from a YouTube video.
Reply 14
Got two biology papers tomorrow, going to get them out of the way first, then I'll get cracking with the theory and methods. Apparently acronyms are useful for this one. Like when evaluating research you can use P.E.R.V.E.R.T. Practicality, Ethics, Reliability, Validity, Enough? Resources, Theories. I found that one from a YouTube video.

Yeah, that’s what my teacher taught me. I’ve got an English and History exam before then too, so I’m putting theories and methods on the back burner for a bit whilst I concentrate on English (that’s the most complicated one).
Today's biology exams went reasonably well so I'm onto theory and methods now. I wonder if the examiners snigger to themselves every time they see P.E.R.V.E.R.T. in someone's answer plan?
Reply 16
Original post by El.Ah
Hey guys I totally forgot what question 2 was about, can anyone pls remind me?

“The nuclear family continues to be the most dominant family form in modern industrial societies”. Explain and assess this view.
I answered question 3 instead... it was a tough choice deciding which one to answer. The domination of nuclear families does seem to be a bit of a recurring theme.
Reply 18
can younplease say what were some points you wrote? im feeling way too nervous cuz i think i listed out some wrong things in it
I answered question 3 instead... it was a tough choice deciding which one to answer. The domination of nuclear families does seem to be a bit of a recurring theme.
Original post by riri9
can younplease say what were some points you wrote? im feeling way too nervous cuz i think i listed out some wrong things in it

Unfortunately I didn't leave myself enough time so my answer was somewhat underdeveloped. The question that I answered was about assessing the claim that people now have more choice about their family roles. I started with a paragraph about how family roles have changed and linked to functionalism, talking about Willmott and Young's family stages and briefly mentioning Parsons' functional fit theory. Then I pointed out that although this points to change in family roles, this change might not necessarily be due to choice. Then I talked about postmodernism and how society isn't a force acting on people and how society is continuously created and recreated through people's choices blah blah blah, then I started talking about the evidence that women are now more able to negotiate their family roles, referencing Mann, countered with McMahon's assertion that men are not interested in changing family roles. Then I had like three minutes left so I just scribbled a conclusion about how some people might have more choice but others don't and there are various factors affecting it such as class, ethnicity etc. (which I didn't actually manage to talk about). Disclosure: I am self-taught so no idea if I'm barking up the right tree or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending