The Student Room Group

Higher French 2018-19

Hey y'all,

Here's a general thread for CfE Higher French 2018-19. It probably won't be very active until exam time but it could be helpful so I've created it early.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Hi, does anyone have an easy method to learn tenses? Thanks
How's everyone getting on with Higher French? Is there any particular section of the exam that you're worried about?
Hi does anyone know a good dictionary for higher french as I was trying to find one and wasn't sure about what one would be best?
Thanks
Original post by vimtovibes
Hi does anyone know a good dictionary for higher french as I was trying to find one and wasn't sure about what one would be best?
Thanks

I'd recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-French-Dictionary-Grammar-books/dp/0008241384/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Make sure to use your dictionary a lot before the exam so that you're comfortable with it.

As an aside, I used to also have the Oxford dictionaries for French and Spanish but the amount of times that they've failed me was too much. I found them extremely unreliable compared to the Collins dictionaries.

Also, here's a thread I made on language exams if you need any help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Bonne chance !
aww thank you so much, that really helped me :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
I'd recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-French-Dictionary-Grammar-books/dp/0008241384/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Make sure to use your dictionary a lot before the exam so that you're comfortable with it.

As an aside, I used to also have the Oxford dictionaries for French and Spanish but the amount of times that they've failed me was too much. I found them extremely unreliable compared to the Collins dictionaries.

Also, here's a thread I made on language exams if you need any help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Bonne chance !
Original post by vimtovibes
aww thank you so much, that really helped me :smile:

You're most welcome! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. :smile:
Does anyone have phrases or that that helps with each topic of directed writing? or questions that are going to come up in the exams of each topic?
Also is there any websites that are really good for the reading in the higher french exam?
Hey! Anyone got last minute tips for the exam, feel like I'm consistently studying but nothing going in.
Original post by Hopeislife
Hey! Anyone got last minute tips for the exam, feel like I'm consistently studying but nothing going in.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896
Hi, anyone know the best way to cram for higher French?
Hope for a bloody miracle
Any advice on learning the whole french language literally days b4 the exam?
Crying? Write out the vocab you'll think your need and write them out until you know them
Original post by Jess2222
Have you tired scholar? I mainly use the how to pass higher french textbook recommend by sqa
Original post by Rebecca123303
Does anyone have phrases or that that helps with each topic of directed writing? or questions that are going to come up in the exams of each topic?
Also is there any websites that are really good for the reading in the higher french exam?
Awh man am so bad at french. Literally gonna fail😩😩
Crying? Write out the vocab you'll think your need and write them out until you know them
Reply 17
Do past papers and stuff but when you're taking a break watch French films and YouTubers with subtitles and put your phone into French because it really helps. It's more effective if you do it over an extended period of time but even a few days of completely immersing yourself in the French language (even if you need subtitles at the start because you're still learning vocab with subtitles) really helps.
Original post by Jess2222
Original post by Rebecca123303

Have you tired scholar? I mainly use the how to pass higher french textbook recommend by sqa

:wavey: I've just merged your thread with the main one for Higher French- there's a few other people here chatting about the exam :smile:
Original post by sbneelu
Do past papers and stuff but when you're taking a break watch French films and YouTubers with subtitles and put your phone into French because it really helps. It's more effective if you do it over an extended period of time but even a few days of completely immersing yourself in the French language (even if you need subtitles at the start because you're still learning vocab with subtitles) really helps.

I have literally done every past paper and specimen paper there is. I am going in on Monday (yep a day b4 the exam) to get last minute help. Do you have any advice on how to conquer the writing? Should I learn one and manipulate it to what comes up or? I am in a class of 4, 2 advance highers and 2 highers. The other girl sitting higher with me speaks 5 languages fluently, feel like an underdog

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending