The Student Room Group

Procrastinated again for essay based exam. HELP MY DEGREE! General advice?

I know I always do this, but please help me.

I have an essay based exam in 2 days time and I managed to procrastinate up until this point.
I have to choose 3 topics out of 6. Please I need general advice.

How many do you reckon I should revise? How should I revise?
Do I have enough time? How do I make the most out of my time?
Can I even sleep? Do I deserve sleep?

I can't think for myself right now, I need opinions.

UPDATE:
I'm pretty sure that was the worst exam essay I've ever written. Unsurprisingly, and you probably called it as well.
I'll tell you my grades when I get it and I'll reflect on my grades (on why I think I got that grade).

On another note, I had another exam few days after this one.
The thing I learnt most is to look at past year papers and try to do them as early as possible.
Even when you haven't revised.
Then you'll know what the focus is and what to look out for and how to structure your essay.

Then you go/listen to the last day of lecture (usually revision lecture) and note down everything on chosen topic.
The give bullet points and usually it works out as my exam essay outline.
But sometimes the question is focused on a specific theory/issue on the topic,
so please look out for the variations in different years of the past year paper.
If it doesn't come out in your actual exam, it usually helps in structure and content as well.

Listen to lecture recordings (personally recorded or university podcast) of your chosen topics and note down things that aren't written down on your slides. (once (because not enough time) but THOROUGHLY).
Go to your seminar notes and read them through and match them with the lecture slide or incorporate them in your answer as you go.
(If you had seminar/tutorials hopefully you have been attending them and writing down notes and discussions)

Although I did structured and note everything down as I revised (because there was really not enough time) and then to ultimately memorize them (rolls eyes), the key was that I understood what I wrote that made it easier for me.
Of course, had I practiced a lot more, it would've been easier to recall all the points I had since memorization is my weakest area.

But since I did attend lectures and seminars (+read materials beforehand) it helped in recalling important points easier when I did forgot what I initially planned to write down (the one I memorized).
Also thankfully, there was some topic in this paper that was really really really similar to the module this thread was about, that I had more time to focus on other topics.

TO ALL THE REPLIES:
Thank you for helping me give that push I needed.
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU helped in any shape or form.
Had no one replied, I would've been extra lazy and sad.

UPDATE UPDATE!
I would like to thank all these God sent people that helped me even just by replying!
I would like to tell you all, I got results that I don't think I deserve.
Love for all, keep up the great job helping people in the future too!! <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by redhorse.shoe
I know I always do this, but please help me.

I have an essay based exam in 2 days time and I managed to procrastinate up until this point.
I have to choose 3 topics out of 6. Please I need general advice.

How many do you reckon I should revise? How should I revise?
Do I have enough time? How do I make the most out of my time?
Can I even sleep? Do I deserve sleep?

I can't think for myself right now, I need opinions.

As you haven't said which topic you are studying, it is hard to say how much you should revise. Use whatever methods you've used successfully in the past - make sure you have quick breaks at least every hour to refresh yourself.

Again, without knowing what you study, it's impossible to say if you have enough time. The best thing you can do now is revise as much as you can with the 2 days you have.

Unless you are one of those people who can almost perfectly function without sleep, then skipping sleep altogether is a bad idea. There's no point spending a solid 48 hours revising only to feel terrible in your actual exam. Maybe sleep less, but still try to keep to a routine.
I have 2 days left to prepare for an essay based exam. I have not gone through all relevant lecture nor did I do any readings, just lecture. Do you have any tips for this annoying person who never learns not to procrastinate? It's going to determine my degree HELP, needs genuine advice, can't think straight. Is studying right at the moment but feels like it's useless.
Reply 3
Get off tsr if you do not want to fail
Break the topic down, into the important parts. If you can listen to the lecture listen to last lectures, as then often they tell you what's on the exam, helps to reduce the work load. I was told the topic of my essay questions. Just don't panic
I've merged your threads. Please don't make duplicate threads using anonymous.
Use an active revision method (i.e. writing things down) rather than just re-reading, which is passive. Create essay plans for past questions if you have them, or make some up (there isn't really time for full essays now, especially if you've got other exams), and think about what topics might be relevant (which could include info from multiple different lectures). Also, focus on learning and applying the core lecture material first, only attempt extra reading if you have time left and are reasonably confident with the essentials.
That was a mistake and I didn't know how to undo it/ find it. Thank you for merging them <3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I've merged your threads. Please don't make duplicate threads using anonymous.
Thank you for the advice, I think yours help a lot!
I did basically everything you said the best I could with very little time, I think I'll get a pass thankfully.
I wrote down. I created essay plans from past year questions and looked at core materials as thoroughly as I could. Included some other lecture materials (one or two only because "only attempt extra reading if you have time left and are reasonably confident with the essentials.").
You have always been very helpful and I am forever thankful for you.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Use an active revision method (i.e. writing things down) rather than just re-reading, which is passive. Create essay plans for past questions if you have them, or make some up (there isn't really time for full essays now, especially if you've got other exams), and think about what topics might be relevant (which could include info from multiple different lectures). Also, focus on learning and applying the core lecture material first, only attempt extra reading if you have time left and are reasonably confident with the essentials.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you for your very very helpful advice. That's one of the first thing I do when I properly revise, but this time I panicked so I forgot what to do. Thanks for reminding me how helpful it can be. After I read all the replies, this was the first thing that I did! Since I knew what to expect and it lessen what I thought I needed to do, I became more motivated to study for the exam. Very much appreciated, forever thankful for your contribution to helping my degree hehe.
Original post by Cheesybread
Break the topic down, into the important parts. If you can listen to the lecture listen to last lectures, as then often they tell you what's on the exam, helps to reduce the work load. I was told the topic of my essay questions. Just don't panic
I sometimes don't like it when people do this on tsr, but actually I did refrain from checking tsr too much after reading this.
Thank you for the wake up call. I now understand why people do this hahah. Forever grateful, thank you.
Original post by dasda
Get off tsr if you do not want to fail
Thank you for telling me to take breaks. I would've drown myself in papers and would have stressed more because of headaches.
I did revised as much as I could for the remaining time that I had, not sure if I did it the best I could, but I kept going because of what you said.
I slept for a few hours only cause my brain was too nervous because I kept forgetting stuff before I went to sleep and was afraid I wont be able to memorize in time. Thankful I did sleep, would've done poorly if I still had a headache while writing my paper. Forever grateful, thank you for helping me!
As you haven't said which topic you are studying, it is hard to say how much you should revise. Use whatever methods you've used successfully in the past - make sure you have quick breaks at least every hour to refresh yourself.

Again, without knowing what you study, it's impossible to say if you have enough time. The best thing you can do now is revise as much as you can with the 2 days you have.

Unless you are one of those people who can almost perfectly function without sleep, then skipping sleep altogether is a bad idea. There's no point spending a solid 48 hours revising only to feel terrible in your actual exam. Maybe sleep less, but still try to keep to a routine.
Thank you for telling me to take breaks. I would've drown myself in papers and would have stressed more because of headaches.
I did revised as much as I could for the remaining time that I had, not sure if I did it the best I could, but I kept going because of what you said.
I slept for a few hours only cause my brain was too nervous because I kept forgetting stuff before I went to sleep and was afraid I wont be able to memorize in time. Thankful I did sleep, would've done poorly if I still had a headache while writing my paper. Forever grateful, thank you for helping me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending