The Student Room Group

Do examiners take hayfever into consideration

Exams are in summer, most people myself included get very bad hay fever around this time.

Studies have shown this to affect exam performance, as it disturbs your sleep pattern and can affect your concentration.

Will examiners take this into account?

If you are having a migrain when you have an exam, if you leave a not on the paper or something, I believe that it is taken into consideration.

so yeah, do they take hay fever into consideration, if not then why not?
No. As it's quite easy to fake hayfever, and just say you have a migraine, unless you have a doctor's note, saying it's extremely severe, why should say.
I wish they do.
My hayfever is so bad that I probs won't see the paper lol.
Original post by Anonymous
Exams are in summer, most people myself included get very bad hay fever around this time.

Studies have shown this to affect exam performance, as it disturbs your sleep pattern and can affect your concentration.

If you are having a migrain when you have an exam, if you leave a not on the paper or something, I believe that it is taken into consideration.

No, of course they don't. Sorry but some people do get sniffly-sneezy. That's life. Some people might also have bad period pains, or a bit of a headache, or a hurty wrist, or a bad case of the trots... That doesn't mean they get extra marks either.

And any such 'notes on your paper' wouldn't probably even be read. If they were, they'd be ignored.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stardom33
I wish they do.
My hayfever is so bad that I probs won't see the paper lol.

Same here, but from the sounds of things, better hope for low pollen levels, and better have our medicines and nasal sprays at the ready.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
No, of course they don't. Sorry, petal, but some people do get sniffly-sneezy. That's life. Some people might also have bad period pains, or a bit of a headache, or a hurty wrist, or a bad case of the trots... That doesn't mean they get extra marks either.

Deal with it.

And any such 'notes on your paper' wouldn't probably even be read. If they were, they'd be ignored.

Do you not think that the wording of this answer is a little aggressive and rude?

If notes written by students on their papers are taken into account, then what's stopping every single studying from lying and saying they have a migraine or some other medical condition?

If you have a medical condition that affects your exam performance, then this should already be discussed and sorted with your school prior to exams beginning.
Do you not think that the wording of this answer is a little aggressive and rude?

No, I think it's matter-of-fact and down to earth. I'l remove 'deal with it' because that could be construed as 'aggressive'. The rest is fine - maybe not all cuddles and butterflies and rainbows, but that's life. And it is a bit of a silly question, don't you think? An examination allowance for a runny nose...
You can apply for special consideration if you have a doctor's note and get up to 1-2% extra marks, hope that's helpful.

Original post by emilyegould
You can apply for special consideration if you have a doctor's note and get up to 1-2% extra marks, hope that's helpful.

Thank you both of you, really helpful.

No, I think it's matter-of-fact and down to earth. I'l remove 'deal with it' because that could be construed as 'aggressive'. The rest is fine - maybe not all cuddles and butterflies and rainbows, but that's life. And it is a bit of a silly question, don't you think? An examination allowance for a runny nose...

For the sake of other users, if you see a question on here that you classify as silly and can only answer in a potentially rude manor, then don't answer them. Every other user on here has been polite and respectful, you failed at that part. Hay fever is more than a runny nose!
Although, thank you for taking out the most aggressive part. ( notice I used thank you, that is an example of what people call manners, try learning them )

For the sake of other users, if you see a question on here that you classify as silly and can only answer in a potentially rude manor, then don't answer them. Every other user on here has been polite and respectful, you failed at that part. Hay fever is more than a runny nose!
Although, thank you for taking out the most aggressive part. ( notice I used thank you, that is an example of what people call manners, try learning them )

Yes, I know full well what hayfever is. I used to have terrible terrible hayfever in exam week (and it was always at the end of May/beginning of June) but the notion that you might write a note on your exam paper about it is, frankly silly. I'm sorry you don't like that, but again - that doesn't make it 'rude'.

More generally, note that a reply which didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, but written fairly and accurately, isn't rude. You will need to learn that as you grow older. Note too that if you don't want to receive a range of answers to a question, then don't post questions on an open, public forum.

Bye.
or a bad case of the trots...

:toofunny:PRSOM
Original post by PhoenixFortune
:toofunny:PRSOM

A propos, did you see the Inbetweeners video that The Bear put up? It's an oldie, but a goodie :lol:
Reply 14

Get some Benadryl and crack the **** on.
I get hayfever and colds 24/7 during summer time...I don't know why but I get both

I'm also fasting on top of that along with majority of my school...

But the examiners won't take any of that into consideration...I wish they cud...fasting can be very tiring since u stay up late and get up in the middle of the night to eat, etc
If they took that into consideration I cud be tipped into the next grade for most of my exams...I'm on the borderline of grades for nearly all my gcses 😂😭
A propos, did you see the Inbetweeners video that The Bear put up? It's an oldie, but a goodie :lol:

Classic. :poo:

Quick Reply

Latest