The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

birmingham accomodation

hey
what is the best accomodation in birmingham university ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student Roost - Birmingham
Good Morning!

I hope you are having a lovely morning so far.

Have you heard of The Heights before? We are only a 15 minute walk from BCU and we have rooms available for 2019/20.

Would you like to come for a viewing to have a look around our site? We would be so happy to show you around :smile:

Kindest Regards,
The Heights Team

Wrong uni

The best depends on your budget. None of them are particularly bad, except for probably Mason.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hey, I'm currently studying at UoB so feel free to message me if you would like to know more about any of the accommodations, or generally anything about the uni. I will try my best to help! :smile:
hi I'm applying and really need advice
Original post by jessvilarx14
hi I'm applying and really need advice

About what?
Best Accommodation - in terms of social life and distance from the university.
preferably shared accommodation
Hey arianna ,

I'm considering maple bank in the Vale as its the cheapest accommodation available so far. But it seems like a long walk to uni, about 20 mins or so based on google maps. Do you think its a good accommodation? I am also considering Ashcroft. On another point, how is the time table generally like in terms of seminars and lectures on a weekly basis.

I going to be reading law at the Uni this Oct 2019 and I'm an international student.
Original post by _Arianna
Hey, I'm currently studying at UoB so feel free to message me if you would like to know more about any of the accommodations, or generally anything about the uni. I will try my best to help! :smile:
Original post by esralled
Wrong uni

The best depends on your budget. None of them are particularly bad, except for probably Mason.

What's so bad about Mason?
Reply 9
Original post by VivicaViolet

I thought Mason was one of the better accommodations on the Vale so not really sure what was meant here :/

I thought Mason was one of the better accommodations on the Vale so not really sure what was meant here :/

I think I might have meant Maple Bank. It's been a while since I was in first year, I know one of those two was claimed about a lot by the people who lived there for being too small.
Original post by esralled
I think I might have meant Maple Bank. It's been a while since I was in first year, I know one of those two was claimed about a lot by the people who lived there for being too small.

I think all of the accommodations are quite small but I've also heard that Maple Bank is a getting a bit old and run down
Was the accommodation you were allocated one that you actually put down on your preferences? My friend got her 1st choice last year (she had an unconditional offer) however I've seen a lot of people say they got allocated a completely different accommodation to the one they put down.
Was the accommodation you were allocated one that you actually put down on your preferences? My friend got her 1st choice last year (she had an unconditional offer) however I've seen a lot of people say they got allocated a completely different accommodation to the one they put down.

It's really unlikely (I don't know anyone) to not get one of your preferences. Most of my friends got their first choice, I got my second but I have met a few people who got their 4th or 5th options.

Did you meet the people who said they weren't allocated any of their preferences whilst visiting the university?

Did you meet the people who said they weren't allocated any of their preferences whilst visiting the university?

Nope, I just saw quite a few posts on TSR from people not getting any of their preferences. I'm glad most people got their first choices - I wasn't sure how much thought and time I should be putting into choosing and ordering all my preferences if I was more than likely to get a completely different option anyway.
Nope, I just saw quite a few posts on TSR from people not getting any of their preferences. I'm glad most people got their first choices - I wasn't sure how much thought and time I should be putting into choosing and ordering all my preferences if I was more than likely to get a completely different option anyway.

I had spoken to quite a few people on my accommodation open day who had gotten their 4th or 5th choices, so this made me a bit nervous. Consequently, I ended up putting my favourite accommodation as my second choice (it was a weird hypothesis, I was definitely over-thinking it all) strangely enough I did get my second choice which was my favourite. I'm not saying this should be done, I was very lucky but I think it's something to think about, if that makes sense at all!! Sorry for this being a mess of a post.
I had spoken to quite a few people on my accommodation open day who had gotten their 4th or 5th choices, so this made me a bit nervous. Consequently, I ended up putting my favourite accommodation as my second choice (it was a weird hypothesis, I was definitely over-thinking it all) strangely enough I did get my second choice which was my favourite. I'm not saying this should be done, I was very lucky but I think it's something to think about, if that makes sense at all!! Sorry for this being a mess of a post.

Imao I've actually set up my preferences in a bit of an odd way too, I've spread out my favorite accommodations and every other accommodation are ones I'm less keen on, I'll probably end up changing the order of them again though. I hope you don't me asking so many questions but what accommodation are/were you in? My friend is in tennis courts and says its the best one, I asked her about mason and she said there's mainly posh people there - she said it in a kind of demeaning way so idk really what to make of that.
Does anyone know about people's opinions on the Host Metalworks? Is it sociable? I'm worried it might be quite quiet because its private accommodation and is it mainly first years?? I haven't really been able to find out a whole lot of information about it... Also, I heard that if you get placed at metalworks, you can't switch to a non partner accommodation like Mason for example, is that true?
Imao I've actually set up my preferences in a bit of an odd way too, I've spread out my favorite accommodations and every other accommodation are ones I'm less keen on, I'll probably end up changing the order of them again though. I hope you don't me asking so many questions but what accommodation are/were you in? My friend is in tennis courts and says its the best one, I asked her about mason and she said there's mainly posh people there - she said it in a kind of demeaning way so idk really what to make of that.

I'm currently in Bournbrook in Selly.

I wouldn't say Mason is exclusive to posh people. It's probably got more people who are 'well off' though because it's a more expensive accommodation compared to other on the Vale. I would say that some of Selly accommodations, or Chamberlain are probably fuller of 'posh' people though because they, again, are more expensive. So I think your friend might be a bit biased or has maybe only met those kind of people at Mason.

I also have a friend in Tennis Courts and she says it's very lively.

Feel free to ask any more questions, or PM me :smile:
Original post by ebaillie_
Does anyone know about people's opinions on the Host Metalworks? Is it sociable? I'm worried it might be quite quiet because its private accommodation and is it mainly first years?? I haven't really been able to find out a whole lot of information about it... Also, I heard that if you get placed at metalworks, you can't switch to a non partner accommodation like Mason for example, is that true?

Metalworks is probably as sociable as any of the Selly accommodations. If you are more interested in going out and very social, the Vale might be a better option? If you are willing to go knocking on doors to meet other people (if your flat is quieter), then I'm sure you'll find like-minded people. Each flat is completely random, so you could get placed with people who keep to themselves, or people who host pres every night, or a mixture. It's quite difficult to know for sure, but because of it's reputation, the Vale tends to attract people who are more outgoing.

It is mainly first years, as with most of the accommodations.

I'm not sure about the last part, but it is unusual for people to switch. Because it's private accommodation, there is more information you have to provide after allocation compared to uni-owned accommodation.

Hopefully this helped clear some things up!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending