The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Effaiii
Hi, I have been told that I need braces and jaw surgery to fix my open/under bite. My dentist has referred me to the hospital already almost 3months. How can I quickly become on top of the waiting list for jaw surgery? Is their any way to speed up the waiting time?
Thanks in advance

From my understanding, there is no way to speed up the waiting list. However, if you want to be seen sooner you could have the treatment done private.. though you would have to pay.
Reply 21
Original post by Democracy
Have you ever watched Marathon Man?

No

Original post by Revision Boiii
What’s your annual salary :biggrin:

The vast majority of dentists do not have a salary as we are self employed. We earn depending on how much we work.
For e.g, if I work 7 hours a day for 5 days a week, and on average my hourly revenue is £200 and I am working in a practice that I do not own, assuming I have agreed a 50-50 split on revenue I generate with the practice owner, my average hourly income would be £100.
This equates to £700 a day, or £3500 a week, or £14,000 a month, or £154,000 a year considering I am working only 11 months out of 12 a year.

A lot of dentists choose not to work 5 days a week and only work 3 or 4 days a week.

Original post by TheRealSquiddy
How do you deal with patients who have bad breath? Always thought you'd struggle not to gag...

I wear a mask and a visor. It can be difficult sometimes though, but most patients who have breath that bad generally have an infection or some progressive disease and they come in for that very reason.

Original post by Ben_austin1988
I decided to not have root canal last year. My tooth is gone. Will my gum get infection?

I can't predict that, but most of the time if you remove your tooth the infection is gone. Seeing as you haven't had any trouble for a year it seems like you are in the clear.

Original post by will5325988
what is your job

I am a general dental practitioner.

Original post by gjd800
How does yer ma like her eggs of a morning?

No idea to be honest aha.

Original post by applesandalevels
any revision tips hopeful leeds dental student for sept!

Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask for that. I did barely any revision and didn't go to any lectures.
I just read one book "Oxford handbook of clinical dentistry".
What advice do you have for keeping your teeth healthy?
Original post by DrTSR
The term doctor can have two meanings.

1) Someone who has a PhD has completed a postgraduate degree and offered a new contribution to knowledge in the subject they studied.
2) Someone who is qualified to treat people

Dentists, are doctors by definition 2.

I mean, 2 is basically the American definition of the term isn't it? Which is why you get naturopaths referring to themselves as "doctor".

Dentists are pretty clearly surgeons - the degree is a BDS and the majority of treatment is surgical. I think what's happened is that the internationally qualified ones receieved the doctor title on graduation (?they receieved a DDS) and now it seems to have rubbed off on the UK grads :p:

Which is ironic because you'd never catch a UK trained MRCS/FRCS surgeon referring to themselves as doctor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 24
How much do you need to know about the NHS and dentistry, in order to do well in interviews?
Reply 25
What's the best and worst part of studying dentistry?
What's the best and worst part of being a dentist?
Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy ?

:holmes:
Original post by gjd800
How does yer ma like her eggs of a morning?

fertilized
Reply 28
Original post by Rid The Kid
fertilized

spectacular coincidence
Why do you guys like prodding my teeth with your pointy thing? I never agreed to be prodded with long objects -_-
Original post by gjd800
spectacular coincidence

😅
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Why do you guys like prodding my teeth with your pointy thing? I never agreed to be prodded with long objects -_-

you agreed last night tho
What grades did you get at GCSE and A-Level?
😅

you agreed last night tho

Only you would know :wink:
I've never been to the dentist in my entire life; is there any point of me going to one?
Hi. Out of curiosity, what does it mean when dentists say random numbers and letters when checking up on teeth? Thanks
Why did you choose Dentistry and not Medicine?
What happens if you don't wear retainers for a few months? :lol:

Asking for a friend...
Original post by darkmagician10
Why did you choose Dentistry and not Medicine?

- Every Asian parent

fertilized

Moves
Original post by RazzzBerries
Moves

ready for exam cuz i am

Spoiler

Original post by NotNotBatman
I've never been to the dentist in my entire life; is there any point of me going to one?

i used to go because the dentist was hot, but the last 3years i coudlnt be bothered. judging by my classmate i reckon some should still go. 😂😂
ready for exam cuz i am

Spoiler

i used to go because the dentist was hot, but the last 3years i coudlnt be bothered. judging by my classmate i reckon some should still go. 😂😂

Ha we're both screwed

Weirdo

Latest