Ben Shapiro apologies to Andrew Neil for melt down Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Cant say im an overt fan of Neil but it was rather nice seeing him give Shapiro a jolly good squashing.
The US conservative pundit Ben Shapiro has said he was “destroyed” by Andrew Neil in a TV debate in which he accused the veteran broadcaster of being a “lefty” before abruptly ending the interview.

Neil, chair of the group that owns the rightwing magazine the Spectator, subjected Shapiro to a robust interrogation about previous remarks such as “Israelis like to build, Arabs like to bomb crap”, and highlighted his support for new hardline abortion laws in the state of Georgia.

At this point in the BBC Politics Live broadcast, Shapiro, formerly of Breitbart, accused Neil of bias and suggested abortions after more than six weeks of pregnancy were brutal.

“You purport to be an objective journalist,” Shapiro said. “The BBC purports to be an objective, down-the-middle network. It obviously is not, it never has been, and you as a journalist are proceeding to call one side of the political aisle ignorant, barbaric and sending us back to the dark ages.”
The segment went viral on social media, prompting Shapiro to say he had not been prepared and to concede defeat to Neil, who often takes oppositional positions with his guests.

He tweeted: “@afneil DESTROYS Ben Shapiro! So that’s what that feels like Broke my own rule, and wasn’t properly prepared. I’ve addressed every single issue he raised before; see below. Still, it’s Neil 1, Shapiro 0.”

He earlier apologised on social media to Neil, saying he had “misinterpreted his antagonism as political leftism”.

Shapiro brought the 16-minute interview to an end as he cried foul over Neil questioning him on “lone things that sound bad out of context”.

“Frankly, I find this whole thing a waste of time,” he said. “You can think whatever you want of me, frankly, I don’t care. I don’t frankly give a damn what you think of me since I’ve never heard of you.”

Neil retorted: “And I’d never heard of you before I briefed myself for this.”

Then, as Neil pressed him to explain how society was turning its back on Judaeo-Christian values, as Shapiro’s bestselling book claims, Shapiro said he was not “inclined to continue an interview with a person as badly motivated as you”.

He removed his microphone and prepared to leave as Neil thanked him for demonstrating that anger was not part of American political discourse.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...neil-interview
Last edited by Napp; 1 month ago
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m confused. The OP was about Theresa May a second ago.

Ben was out of his depth.
Last edited by YaliaV; 1 month ago
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
I’m confused
About?
10oba-abbad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I rate heavily
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
About?
The OP was about Theresa May when I first clicked on the thread. It must have been a glitch.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
The OP was about Theresa May when I first clicked on the thread. It must have been a glitch.
Oh no that was my bad, sorry about that. The original post went a bit odd so i had to edit it
Megxn0
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you blame him? I would have a melt down too if I had that voice
z-hog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm no particular fan of Shapiro but I see him DESTROY Neil, not the other way round. That's the price he has to pay for wanting to sound trendy with his line of opinionated journalism, Shap did quite well to throw it back with added interest. Of course the Guardian would distort the thing to suit their own opinionated views, this is... fake news. For the sake of journalism, they need to get it in the teeth, these people dragging it down to the gutter.

The US conservative pundit Ben Shapiro has said he was “destroyed” by Andrew Neil in a TV.
Yeah, right...
Last edited by z-hog; 1 month ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do agree with a lot of what he says about many issues including transgenders, and gun rights etc. though have to agree it was a poor show for him, even though he brought up his past a few times, and not always political, he got really emotional and walked away... not great...
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ben Shapiro apologies to Andrew Neil for melt down.
Any chance of cutting down on fake titles too?
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
not completely false

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/11/u...ntl/index.html
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
not completely false

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/11/u...ntl/index.html
After taping the interview but before it aired, Shapiro said he had apologized to Neil. "As I'm not familiar with him or his work, I misinterpreted his antagonism as political Leftism ... that was apparently inaccurate. For that, I apologize," he said.
We can't trust anything about the way this is reported by politically active bodies like the Guardian or CNN but when they say Shap apologized to Neil, do they mean that he told him just that, that he took back the 'leftie' labelling but that he maintains Neil was antagonistic towards him? They muddle the picture too much, with their deliberately fuzzy representations. Can't see Shap apologize for anything much on this one.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is laughable to refer to Mr Shapiro as a "pundit". his hysterical outpourings are not based in any deep experience of politics or the real world. as a lifelong right wing thinker i find his witterings utterly embarrassing.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't agree with him always, e.g. on religion and abortion, but does provide some funny content to watch haha

"Cut it out or you'll go home in an ambulance"

username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Yeah, right...
He said it himself.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...94051456774144

You don't get much clearer than that. Is that fake news as well?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
He said it himself.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...94051456774144

You don't get much clearer than that. Is that fake news as well?
I dunno, the Guardian don't really make it clear what is that DESTROYED Shapiro and I think you lot make too much of his supposed apology too. WHAT was it that destroyed him, if anything it was his assumption that Neil at the BBC is a leftie. He didn't apologise for anything else and wasn't even that serious about it in my opinion. This is a load of Guardianista innuendo with very little or no relation to anything real.
Joefang01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It shows that he can only debate college students and when he gets interviewed by someone half decent that actually asks him hard questions instead of throwing softball at him. He just breaks.
(Original post by z-hog)
I dunno, the Guardian don't really make it clear what is that DESTROYED Shapiro and I think you lot make too much of his supposed apology too. WHAT was it that destroyed him, if anything it was his assumption that Neil at the BBC is a leftie. He didn't apologise for anything else and wasn't even that serious about it in my opinion. This is a load of Guardianista innuendo with very little or no relation to anything real.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
I'm no particular fan of Shapiro but I see him DESTROY Neil, not the other way round. That's the price he has to pay for wanting to sound trendy with his line of opinionated journalism, Shap did quite well to throw it back with added interest. Of course the Guardian would distort the thing to suit their own opinionated views, this is... fake news. For the sake of journalism, they need to get it in the teeth, these people dragging it down to the gutter.

Yeah, right...
Do you even know what fake news is?
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
It’s punched up, it isn’t false.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do you even know what fake news is?
Seen a few, earliest memories probably about Saddam's arsenal. More recently, and just off the top, Buzzfeed said they had seen evidence of Trump's obstruction to justice, the next day we had the Covington march with a Vietnam veteran who never set foot there, the Guardian had a big scoop on Manaforte visiting Assange in London but nobody else touched it, there are a few. The BBC had to pay a lot of money to the Ukrainian president for reporting something that never happened, they can surface anywhere these days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads