The Student Room Group

How Happy Are You With Your Body?

Poll

Yeah it’s alright - no complaints. Would be nice to be a little taller but thats never going to change so hey ho.

In an SO they are important (not the only thing may I add) as its part of the attraction to the person, which is different for everyone! Just like people are attracted to different personality types.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it’s alright - no complaints. Would be nice to be a little taller but thats never going to change so hey ho.

In an SO they are important (not the only thing may I add) as its part of the attraction to the person, which is different for everyone! Just like people are attracted to different personality types.
(edited 4 years ago)
What things do you like / not like about your body?
I'm genuinely quite happy with my body, i have a scar on my hand from being clumsy with some dishes and some chicken pox scars which would be nice if they'd healed up a bit better but since only two are a little visible i'm reasonably okay with it. I used to really hate my nose as i got bullied for it but i'm at peace with it now.

Would you say generally you are happy with the way you have developed?
I'm happier since I managed to gain some weight, i was on the underweight/healthy line my whole childhood, it took a lot of effort when I was 18/19 to put on half a stone to look healthier and now my body is a bit more proportioned, i lost some weight in november as I was ill and i was so pleased when i finally managed to put more back on.

Are there things you want to change?
I wouldn't try to change anything now.

Why would you change them?
Would you get surgery for them?
When I had really issues with my nose as a child, i was seriously thinking about surgery but i accepted myself more as an adult.
What expectations do you think society has of our bodies?
I think society is very unkind about peoples apperances, no one is perfect so why should society make us think we need to be a certain way.

How important are they in a significant other?
It is one factor that is important so that you are physically attracted to each other, but you need to have personalities which work well together for a relationship to really last.
Can people's appearance make you treat them differently?
I don't try people differently, i treat people with ugly personalities differently.
Have you had any experiences of body shamers?
I had some bullying for it when i was at school.
Original post by yzanne
Thank you for answering so fully. I'm so happy that you're more at peace with your body now. Is that because of any particular reason / event and it suddenly flipped a switch that now you're happier with your body, or was it a lengthy process? (if it's not too personal :smile:)

Lengthy in a way, when I moved to uni, I discovered I was dyslexic on top of the dyspraxia I had on got a lot of support for that for the first time in my life so as my self esteem improved because of that I got more confident in general. Moving in with mrclaireestelle also helped as when someone still wants to be with you when they see what you look like in the morning you care less about your flaws.
Original post by yzanne
Well I'm happy for you! That's so sweet :smile:

thank you.
It's fat, covered in scars in most parts, unattractive, hairy

Developed? :lol: erm

Yes ideally but most of my scars will probably never fully fade. Losing weight is an ever ongoing process

Because i look awful, as an owner of polycystic ovaries i am prone to diabetes anyway and i wont get a girlfriend otherwise

No

I dont know and i dont really care

Not particularly, cant be fussy when i look like a bin lid. Ideally would be gothic looking and likes guinea pigs but wont ever happen anyway

No

Yeh, strangers in the street have told me; i look like a man, i look like their dog and i've had FAT yelled at me on a few occasions
Original post by claireestelle
Lengthy in a way, when I moved to uni, I discovered I was dyslexic on top of the dyspraxia I had on got a lot of support for that for the first time in my life so as my self esteem improved because of that I got more confident in general. Moving in with mrclaireestelle also helped as when someone still wants to be with you when they see what you look like in the morning you care less about your flaws.

Well I'm happy for you! That's so sweet :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I'm genuinely quite happy with my body, i have a scar on my hand from being clumsy with some dishes and some chicken pox scars which would be nice if they'd healed up a bit better but since only two are a little visible i'm reasonably okay with it. I used to really hate my nose as i got bullied for it but i'm at peace with it now.

I'm happier since I managed to gain some weight, i was on the underweight/healthy line my whole childhood, it took a lot of effort when I was 18/19 to put on half a stone to look healthier and now my body is a bit more proportioned, i lost some weight in november as I was ill and i was so pleased when i finally managed to put more back on.

I wouldn't try to change anything now.

When I had really issues with my nose as a child, i was seriously thinking about surgery but i accepted myself more as an adult.
I think society is very unkind about peoples apperances, no one is perfect so why should society make us think we need to be a certain way.

It is one factor that is important so that you are physically attracted to each other, but you need to have personalities which work well together for a relationship to really last.
I don't try people differently, i treat people with ugly personalities differently.
I had some bullying for it when i was at school.

Thank you for answering so fully. I'm so happy that you're more at peace with your body now. Is that because of any particular reason / event and it suddenly flipped a switch that now you're happier with your body, or was it a lengthy process? (if it's not too personal :smile:)
Original post by CoolCavy
Because i look awful, as an owner of polycystic ovaries i am prone to diabetes anyway and i wont get a girlfriend otherwise

No

So would you say that it's a problem you want to change but are unable to because of cost, fragility of body etc or it's just not debilitating? (If it's not too personal :smile:). I am also expected to get diabetes with it running in my family line right up to my dad - I'm worried that I will lose the figure I have now (not particularly curvy in my waist but healthy) because of the sugar I will have to eat to control it.

It's always easy to point out the flaws in our bodies - but also hard to remember that it's not what everyone sees. A scar doesn't define you and most people may not even notice it anyways. As long as you have a great, kind, loving personality, what is stopping you from getting a girlfriend who isn't shallow and doesn't only base you off of appearance? :smile:
Reply 9
Not affected by any hangups enough to want to change them, so I guess I am doing fine.
What things do you like / not like about your body? im tall but have a narrow waist
Would you say generally you are happy with the way you have developed? yes
Are there things you want to change? yes
Why would you change them? no
Would you get surgery for them? no
What expectations do you think society has of our bodies? not a lot
How important are they in a significant other? no comprende
Can people's appearance make you treat them differently? no
Have you had any experiences of body shamers? no
Umm, I have wide hips and a thin waist. I have scars and stretch marks tho.
Indifferent
Not really.
N/A
No, don't want to spend money and go through pain.
Hourglass figure? Clear?
I like hourglass figures but not that important to me, lol. I'm quite young anyway. :lol:
possibly, subconsciously

yes, about my belly.:s-smilie:
Not a massive fan of my legs, my thighs are too big and my shoulders are a bit narrow which looks quite strange.

Always, working to slim my legs down and broaden my shoulders out

Make the proportions look better.

Nah

A lot

Depends really. If they're happy in how they look then great and that's fine but if not and it's a reasonable proposal then I would try and help them yk.

Occaisionally, normally only in extreme circumstances

People body shaming me not so much people body shaming my friends then yes definitely.
Think this thread is a bit broken? :redface:
I like my eyes, they're a really awesome deep blue colour with spots of yellow. Makes me feel special in the right lighting. I like my feet, they're not hideous to look at and don't have any issues with them.
I don't like my stomach, it's where all my weight goes (and my chin). I can't wear tight clothes because I can look a bit pregnant in them. I don't like my hair, it's quite fine so I can't do anything with it as it just flumps back down. I don't like my legs because they're so pale and seem to scar easy, so I have lots of marks on them. My knees aren't particular amazing either.

Generally, yeah, but not totally happy. Would be nice to have more boobage so I could wear more clothes e.g. wrap dresses and to have my weight distributed evenly but apart from that, I'm healthy so that's good.

Of course! I want to have hair that doesn't get oily so fast so I could go longer without washing. I want to have normal skin instead of ridiculously oily skin. I want bigger boobs (not massive, but just a bit more). I want a flatter stomach. I want better skin on my legs.

To boost my self-esteem. I want to be able to see a dress or top that I like and not feel like "oh I can't wear that I don't have the body for it". To also feel like people aren't thinking I'm pregnant when I wear a tight top.

No, I wouldn't. Although, after I have kids (hopefully), if I really wasn't happy with my chesticles then I'd consider getting them done but right now, it's not a big enough issue in my life to want to get surgery. Only if they were seriously affecting my self-esteem then I would.

For women to have good bazoombas, flat stomachs, long legs, hairless, bouncy hair.
All the things I've mentioned above, my boyfriend doesn't have any issues with. He loves me the way I am so I guess to him it's not at all important.
Unfortunately, yes. I don't like that I do but I do treat customers differently at work based on what they're wearing and how they present themselves.
I haven't personally, no, but other people I know have and it's a real shame that people still treat others like that.
I honestly like my body especially my waist but I want to improve my ass, stomach and love handles. I’m fine with how they’re developed but I would change them through exercise, not surgery. I think society expects the ideal skinny toned nice s line figure because it’s what most people ideal type is so we are fixiqted with that type of body that we ignore the fact some love diversity and everyone have different preferences. I think it’s important in a significant other because we based on judgement on looks and learn that it really isn’t important because there will be ********s that don’t have anything else other than they’re confidence in their looks so we can learn that they aren’t important anymore than we base our judgement on. Yes because I’ll be intimidated by them because I haven’t met them and I’ll immediately assume but if you already know them then no I wouldn’t because I hang out with the weird and interesting people and I find that people fixated in looks and stuff like that are boring so I would still treat them with respect and kindness if they aren’t a ***** especially if they are my friend. Tbh no because my stomach goes out a bit but it’s not that bad but because of personal experiences that people thought I was pregnant so I’m quite conscious about it but they are quick to judge and say I’m just getting attention for it. However they do constantly take the piss out of me because of my height and it does honestly make me sad because sometimes it involves other people like my boyfriend being mocked for being a nonce when he just genuinely love me with all his heart but I’ve learn to ignore this because they only mean it as a joke.
Original post by yzanne
So would you say that it's a problem you want to change but are unable to because of cost, fragility of body etc or it's just not debilitating? (If it's not too personal :smile:). I am also expected to get diabetes with it running in my family line right up to my dad - I'm worried that I will lose the figure I have now (not particularly curvy in my waist but healthy) because of the sugar I will have to eat to control it.

It's always easy to point out the flaws in our bodies - but also hard to remember that it's not what everyone sees. A scar doesn't define you and most people may not even notice it anyways. As long as you have a great, kind, loving personality, what is stopping you from getting a girlfriend who isn't shallow and doesn't only base you off of appearance? :smile:

Am not really sure how to change it I guess? Like with weight the answer is obvious but I yo-yo around and any weight I lose comes back so need to find a better way of keeping it off.
Maybe one scar doesn't but I have around 200 :redface: I think most people would find that quite off-putting :redface:
I don't really have a great personality :redface: I try my best to be kind and never want to hurt anyone but my personality is by definition disordered which is again off-putting. Have accepted that with all these things not in my favour won't be able to get a girlfriend :redface:
My cellulite, my belly fat, my height, the size of my thighs, my feet

yep! Ngl I like my butt haha, my arms, my skin, my hair, my teeth, these are how people generally see me on the surface so yeah i'm happy, its just minor things i'd like to change

Yeah, everything I said I don't like

I want to get married in furture, and to just look in the mirror and smile

Hell no!

Love island expectation

Idk, don't have one, but probably not that important

Depends on the size of the flaw

Nope, thank god..
(edited 4 years ago)
What things do you like / not like about your body? leanness, bicep definition, decent size quads/dont like my shoulders-they haven't improved a lot.
Would you say generally you are happy with the way you have developed? yes
Are there things you want to change? no
Why would you change them? nope
Would you get surgery for them? no
What expectations do you think society has of our bodies? guys to be buff and girls to have a curvy body
How important are they in a significant other? none
Can people's appearance make you treat them differently? no, only personality can.
Have you had any experiences of body shamers? back when i was skinny yes, not so much now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Love island expectation

Completely agree! I think this year they are trying to have more body diversity...how do you think this will affect the show?

Quick Reply

Latest