The Student Room Group

Alyssa Milano urges sex strike in protest against Georgia abortion law

Alyssa Milano urges sex strike in protest against Georgia abortion law: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48242766

“Until women have legal control over our own bodies we just cannot risk pregnancy," she tweeted.

Does anyone else find Alyssa Milano’s “sex strike” to be rather ironic?

“I’m going to abstain from sex because I can’t risk getting pregnant” - that’s the whole point of the pro-life side of the debate, that people who don’t want children ought to avoid pregnancy through abstinence, rather than by terminating a pregnancy after it has already occurred. It’s not a threat, it’s exactly what they want.

It’s not as if policy makers will now think “oh dear we won’t get to have sex with Alyssa Milano anymore, we’d better reverse our decision!” They’ll just say “good for you, we hope more people do this!”

Nobody even knows nor cares whether she’s actually sticking to that pledge or not. I don’t see how it achieves anything.
(edited 4 years ago)
I like tim pools take on it..

That it will predominately end up hurting the men who actually already support their cause. Most (not all) people date roughly in line with their political views these days (not in the past), so for anyone under the age of 35-40.. the left-leaning women who go on sex strikes, will mostly be dating left-leaning men who already support the cause. It will effect right-wing/conservative men far far less, because in general they date conservative women who won't give a **** about this, and they have much less casual sex on average anyway.

So it does seem a bit like stabbing the guys who are on your side, to spite those who are not.
Lol. Doubt she gets any anyway,
”Until women have legal control over our own bodies we just cannot risk pregnancy," she tweeted.

Also, is there really much risk of pregnancy? Isn’t she like 50?
Original post by fallen_acorns
I like tim pools take on it..

That it will predominately end up hurting the men who actually already support their cause. Most (not all) people date roughly in line with their political views these days (not in the past), so for anyone under the age of 35-40.. the left-leaning women who go on sex strikes, will mostly be dating left-leaning men who already support the cause. It will effect right-wing/conservative men far far less, because in general they date conservative women who won't give a **** about this, and they have much less casual sex on average anyway.

So it does seem a bit like stabbing the guys who are on your side, to spite those who are not.

I think she’s married - so yes it seems like an inconvenience to her husband for no reason.

Or more likely, it’s just all talk.
Original post by tazarooni89
Alyssa Milano urges sex strike in protest against Georgia abortion law: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48242766

“Until women have legal control over our own bodies we just cannot risk pregnancy," she tweeted.

“I’m going to abstain from sex because I can’t risk getting pregnant” - that’s the whole point of the pro-life side of the debate, that people who don’t want children ought to avoid pregnancy through abstinence, rather than by terminating a pregnancy after it has already occurred. It’s not a threat, it’s exactly what they want.

It’s not as if policy makers will now think “oh dear we won’t get to have sex with Alyssa Milano anymore, we’d better reverse our decision!” They’ll just say “good for you, we hope more people do this!”

Nobody even knows nor cares whether she’s actually sticking to that pledge or not. I don’t see how it achieves anything.

She wants many men with no link to this situation to suffer? Ok, then.
Reply 6

It's a stab at the ongoing situation in Georgia, a further piece thrown into the abortion furnace, fitting within the feminist atmosphere, for all that the BBC feel we must hear of it. It serves her well too, whether it was her idea or her agent's we now know who she is. Of course, it doesn't matter to anything else.
Original post by Andrew97
Lol. Doubt she gets any anyway,

Can you imagine being the guy she's with and finding out over Twitter that you won't be getting any xD.
Reply 8
Also, is there really much risk of pregnancy? Isn’t she like 50?

She's still hot...:P

I think there might be a little more to people taking up arms and suicide vests than not getting their rocks off...
Also, what exactly is 'MGTOW-ism'?
I don't get this.
Any woman that is so actively pro abortion would surely be in a relationship with a man that has the same principles?
It is such a divisive subject I could never see them just agreeing to disagree.
So the only people she is hurting are herself and somebody she loves, that agrees with her.
Original post by Just my opinion
I don't get this.
Any woman that is so actively pro abortion would surely be in a relationship with a man that has the same principles?
It is such a divisive subject I could never see them just agreeing to disagree.
So the only people she is hurting are herself and somebody she loves, that agrees with her.

It's a tad of a pointless protest isn't it. "We are going to inconvenience ourselves until YOU change your ways/views". It's almost the opposite of what any halfway decent protest does.
Reply 11
Can a get a hallelujah to that ahahah

No, sorry, I meant what is MGTOW at all? I’ve never heard of it

Yes it’s highly ironic and if the people of Georgia don’t want the rule they can simply vote in people without that stance.

If they don’t it shows the people are getting what they want whether you or I disagree or not.
What is the point of a sex strike against men, when men are more pro-choice than women?

Quick Reply