The Student Room Group

OCR A: AS Further Mathematics: Pure Maths (paper 1) 13th May 2019

Here's the exam discussion for AS level FM paper 1 on the 13th of May on OCR A.

Personally this is the FM paper which I'm looking forward to the most :smile:

Good luck everyone! Feel free to share any revision tips.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone doing this exam tomorrow?
Reply 2
Yup, and I think I’ll enjoy it :biggrin:
Original post by Loci Pi
Anyone doing this exam tomorrow?
How did you find it? Personally found it harder than the 2018 AS pure paper that I did as practice, so hoping for lower grade boundaries. Ran out of time on a few questions, but it wasn't impossible overall.
(edited 4 years ago)
Was pretty tough! All that weird volume and area stuff
Reply 5
Didn't enjoy it very much either. Had to miss a few parts of questions due to time. Some of the questions were very different from the questions in papers I did as practice
Overall i think it went okay - I’ve messed up the 4 marker coplanar one as I didn’t spot that the volume would go to 0 giving you an easy equation to solve :/// but apart from that, it was fine - much harder than last year though and much more time pressured !!!!
Reply 7
Some of the parts in that vector question had me staring blankly at the page for ages. Who else got some weird answer for the co-planar question?
Yeah a pretty hard paper. Ran out of time for the coplanar one and couldn't do the polynomials one. Also think I messed up on the angle one- did OAP not POA or whatever so got 0
For the coplanar one, you had to make determinant of the transformation matrix = 0 as the volume is 0 if all points lie in the same plane. Then you solve for x, I’m so annoyed I ran out of time to properly do it
(edited 4 years ago)
For the polynomial one where it’s a^2b^2 + b^2y^2 + a^2y^2, you have to find out that it’s the same as (ab + by + ay)^2 - 2aby(a + b + y) and you can work it out from there
Same here only figured out det=0 at the end and had to rush then ****ed up the expansion so got the wrong cubic I think
Original post by sarunthan87
For the coplanar one, you had to make determinant of the transformation matrix = 0 as the volume is 0 if all points lie in the same plane. Then you solve for x, I’m so annoyed I ran out of time to properly do it
Original post by seabasssss
Same here only figured out det=0 at the end and had to rush then ****ed up the expansion so got the wrong cubic I think

Do you remember your cubic?
No but my roots were like -9.43 0.5... and 1.4 ish
Original post by La Bête
Do you remember your cubic?
Reply 14
what did ppl get for the angle POA?
I had 25 in the x^4 term, as did some others I sat it with, can't remember the rest

Edit: think I might be talking about a different question but nvm
Original post by seabasssss
No but my roots were like -9.43 0.5... and 1.4 ish
I got 0 but did the wrong angle
Original post by jdml
arctan(22/11) = 63.4 degrees
Original post by jdml
Reply 18
Original post by nofluxgiven
arctan(22/11) = 63.4 degrees

That's good - I was doubting my answer to that one :smile:
Reply 19
I think that Paper was harder than the 2018 paper. My time management was rubbish and I've dropped at least 8 marks because of it. Oh well, normally my Stats papers go well so hopefully that will increase my overall mark assuming Stats isn't gonna be terrible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending