The Student Room Group

anon alchol - what shall i try first time?

im turning 18 soon and i want to try some alcohol but im CLUELESS! do i go straight to the wines and gin? somebody help a girl out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've never tried any?
Beyond surprised

But anyway, I'd start with like beer/cider/lager and then maybe wines.
You can do spirits but definitely mix them
Reply 3
Cider has a low alcohol content and is probably a good place to start. You don't know how you tolerate alcohol so jumping straight into spirits may not be such a good idea.
Beer and ciders are cheaper.

Try more expensive drinks by asking for a sip of your mates in the pub.
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
You've never tried any?
Beyond surprised

But anyway, I'd start with like beer/cider/lager and then maybe wines.
You can do spirits but definitely mix them

no i havent hahaha
beer looks gross and wine looks so nice
whats a spirit?
Reply 6
Original post by sinfonietta
Beer and ciders are cheaper.

Try more expensive drinks by asking for a sip of your mates in the pub.

i might try cider actually! what are the rules of drinking? how does a hangover feel like and when do you get one? do i have to eat something before i drink?
I don't want to come across as preachy, but just a few thoughts.

I started drinking late as well, when I was 19. It was fresher's week; my first experience of drinking was Ring of Fire and I ended up vomiting off a balcony.

I developed a mild alcohol addiction and it contributed to the disaster that was my first attempt at university. I wish I had never started drinking, even though I now have it under control.

Alcohol is a narcotic and if you haven't experienced it then it may be wise to never start, as is the case with smoking and cocaine.
Stay away from beers to start with they taste like p*ss. Cider (NOT STRONGBOW) is a good shout and I'd also recommend gin and bacardi+coke if you wanna get hammered quickly.

If you're young (less than 20) you won't get a hangover.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to come across as preachy, but just a few thoughts.

I started drinking late as well, when I was 19. It was fresher's week; my first experience of drinking was Ring of Fire and I ended up vomiting off a balcony.

I developed a mild alcohol addiction and it contributed to the disaster that was my first attempt at university. I wish I had never started drinking, even though I now have it under control.

Alcohol is a narcotic and if you haven't experienced it then it may be wise to never start, as is the case with smoking and cocaine.

lmao i dont intend to be a serial alcoholic goshhh
Water.
@Notoriety
help a girl out :colondollar:
lmao i dont intend to be a serial alcoholic goshhh

Addicts never intend to develop addictions
Original post by UWS
Cider has a low alcohol content and is probably a good place to start. You don't know how you tolerate alcohol so jumping straight into spirits may not be such a good idea.

do i have to eat something before i drink always?
@Notoriety
help a girl out :colondollar:

Haha, curious who this is? And why I am tagged, when there are much established alcoholics on here. E.g. sin and gjd.

Spirits with mixers are good for first timer. For actual taste, then some nice wines or whiskeys.
Original post by Notoriety
Haha, curious who this is? And why I am tagged, when there are much established alcoholics on here. E.g. sin and gjd.

i thought you and @gjd where alcoholics :smile:
i might try cider actually! what are the rules of drinking? how does a hangover feel like and when do you get one? do i have to eat something before i drink?

Don't mix your drinks too much and hangovers are hell. Yes eat something first.

I've been drinking pints of Magners all afternoon. Perfect for a sunny day. ☀️
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety

Spirits with mixers are good for first timer. For actual taste, then some nice wines or whiskeys.

i think im going to try cider first (whatever that is) and then wines - any red wines that you suggest? i would like it sweet
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't mix your drinks too much and hangovers are hell. Yes eat something first.

I've been drinking pints of Magners all afternoon. Perfect for a sunny day. ☀️

how many magners have you had today? do they taste like apple juice :colondollar:
i think im going to try cider first (whatever that is) and then wines - any red wines that you suggest? i would like it sweet

Strongbow Dark Fruits is a good kinda sweet cider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending