The Student Room Group

Conservatives Poll 3rd Place in General Election Poll

Yes, that reads "General Election Poll" not "European Election Poll".

For the first time since May 1994, the Conservative Party has polled third place in a general election opinion poll.

The poll run on the 9th of May by ComRes finds voting intention, compared to the results of the 2017 election, to be:

Lab: 27% (-13%),
BRX: 20% (+20%),
Con: 19% (-23.4%),
LDem: 14% (+6.6%),
CHUK: 7% (+7%),
Grn: 5% (+3.4%),
UKIP: 3% (+1.2%),

with a FPTP projection of seats:

Lab: 330 (+68),
Con: 112 (-206),
LDem: 79 (+67),
SNP: 53 (+18),
BRX: 51 (+51),
PC: 4 (=),
Grn: 2 (+1),
Ind: 1 (+1).

A similar poll by Opinium puts the Conservatives on 2nd place with 22% and the Brexit Party on 3rd place with 21%.

This is pretty crazy **** considering the Conservatives polled at 50% (25% points ahead of Labour) in the days after the announcement of the 2017 election.

Scroll to see replies

I would say a general election would be in the best interests of Britain right now given the government’s failure to command the support of parliament and their obvious unpopularity.

But that is not going to happen because it has been clear for several years that the Conservatives have no interest in what is best for this country. They are far more concerned with their own internal power games. And that is why they are unpopular.
I demand a re-vote.
The public didn't know what they were voting for. 🤗
Theresa May needs to step down ASAP (whether she is in the wrong or not is no longer the main concern, she is at this point a scapegoat and any issues whatsoever are immediatley pinned onto her incomptenece) or there won't be a conservative party at all and then we head into dangerous territories with that loon Corbyn being uncontested. A single big party and a multitude of weird small ones sounds like a recipe for disaster no matter who you support
Reply 4
Polls are not used as a trustworthy source anymore.

Labour will not win
Original post by SMEGGGY
Polls are not used as a trustworthy source anymore.

Labour will not win

You are correct on them not winning, they are about 35 seats shy of winning, instead we can enjoy some more hung/minority governments
Reply 6
Absolutely useless as a poll, there's no election on the horizon. Or maybe the idea being rolled out is that there should be one.
Those seat projections won’t happen.
Reply 8
Who spent money on this hypothetical poll, whose idea and what's the point? Concocted, commissioned and disseminated by Remainers, most likely.
Reply 9
Original post by SHallowvale
This is pretty crazy **** considering the Conservatives polled at 50% (25% points ahead of Labour) in the days after the announcement of the 2017 election.

Yeah, not a couple of years before. What sort of comparison is that?
This is hilarious. Well done, Cameron, you really stopped the Brexit vote from dividing the Conservative party.

I'm not a fan of either the Lib Dems or BXP, but if this marks the beginning of the end of the 2-party system, it's worth it.
Then the Queen comes in and says she wants to start ruling the country again.

- And Charles somehow dies.
Reply 12
Original post by z-hog
Who spent money on this hypothetical poll, whose idea and what's the point? Concocted, commissioned and disseminated by Remainers, most likely.

As 10 seconds of research before you opened your mouth could've told you, it was commissioned by the Sunday Telegraph.
Reply 13
Original post by AngeryPenguin
This is hilarious. Well done, Cameron, you really stopped the Brexit vote from dividing the Conservative party.

It might have worked quite well... had the result gone the other way!
Reply 14
Original post by L i b
As 10 seconds of research before you opened your mouth could've told you, it was commissioned by the Sunday Telegraph.

I spent just about that long clicking on the links in the OP and there's no mention of the ST in it. I don't care about it, it's totally pointless and maybe the Telegraph push a Remain line these days. What do you think made them commission it, any idea? Trying to make the Tories look good or bad?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
I spent just about that long clicking on the links in the OP and there's no mention of the ST in it. I don't care about it, it's totally pointless and maybe the Telegraph push a Remain line these days. What do you think made them commission it, any idea? Trying to make the Tories look good or bad?

Sunday papers regularly commission polls, particularly when there is an upcoming election.

As for making the Tories look bad, you don't need a poll to do that. The Tories are quite capable of making themselves look bad without any assistance.
Reply 16
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Sunday papers regularly commission polls, particularly when there is an upcoming election.

As for making the Tories look bad, you don't need a poll to do that. The Tories are quite capable of making themselves look bad without any assistance.

It's totally pointless, so much water is going to run before the next election that it means nothing useful. The last round of locals already shows the Tories on the rack, everybody knows it. People are hot on Brexit but come the time when Corbyn is the alternative and they'll all flock back in a way that can't be predicted. I derive nothing from it, who does? What do you learn from it?
Reply 17
Original post by z-hog
It's totally pointless, so much water is going to run before the next election that it means nothing useful. The last round of locals already shows the Tories on the rack, everybody knows it. People are hot on Brexit but come the time when Corbyn is the alternative and they'll all flock back in a way that can't be predicted. I derive nothing from it, who does? What do you learn from it?

Who says there isnt an election (vaguely) imminent? There is still every chance May will finally succumb to this terminal political illness and seek one to break the deadlock. That isnt to say there will be one but it would be foolish to rule one out simply based on your partisan dislike for Corbyn.
Original post by z-hog

You... are aware that polls like this have been done pretty much every week for decades, right?

"Concocted, commissioned and disseminated by Remainers, most likely" - are you just upset that people dare to find that the popularity of the Conservatives has plummeted?

Would it help you to know that the same organisations behind these polls also found huge Conservative leads over Labour earlier this year?
Reply 19
Original post by z-hog

So you care enough to ask a loaded question, but not to actually find out the answer? Hmm.

As for why they commissioned it, I'd imagine it would be because they're a national newspaper and that's what newspapers quite often do because people are interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending