The Student Room Group

How to cram efficiently the night before an exam?

Yea,I have my Religious Studies GCSE tomorrow and the information is not sticking in my brain.

My friend told me that her sixth form friend crammed the night before her RS exam and managed to get an 8.

What should I do please? All I've done so far is read over the booklet and all the info is sliding out like butter. Plus the quotes we have to know ;the original plan was to only learn 5 that could go with everything but as my exams are tomorrow,I'd rather not waste my time.

Scroll to see replies

given what you've said, you probably can't
Reply 2
honestly felt that, christianity and islam is not going very well rn so i'm a bit terrified of the philosophy and ethics paper next monday!
i already have my notes from my mocks which im just reading over and highlighting (i know it's been proven inefficient, but at this rate it'll have to do) and reading some easily forgettable quotes or facts out loud to myself until they stick
worse comes to worse, just have the specification in front of you, find a section in the textbook that links to each point and read it
Reply 3
yo i have seen you in loads of posts commenting something negative. keep it to urself. its possible to do it because I just done it......
Original post by HoldThisL
given what you've said, you probably can't
Get key quotes and things that you wanna remember and then write them down, if you write it down, you might manage to remember it tmr during your exam, this works for me, i dunno if it'll work for you but it's worth a shot
Original post by Hiro2468
Yea,I have my Religious Studies GCSE tomorrow and the information is not sticking in my brain.

My friend told me that her sixth form friend crammed the night before her RS exam and managed to get an 8.

What should I do please? All I've done so far is read over the booklet and all the info is sliding out like butter. Plus the quotes we have to know ;the original plan was to only learn 5 that could go with everything but as my exams are tomorrow,I'd rather not waste my time.
I also have my Re-exam tomorrow, but I wouldn't say I'm cramming. Although here are some things I would do:

-make essay plans for all the possible big questions(for me this is the d markers)
-print off and answer practice papers
-read over a revision guide
-after reading over, speak to myself about what I learnt out loud or teach my family
forget the quotes if you're doing Edexcel, they aren't gonna get you many marks compared to the other questions, i mean if you do you'll only miss out on like 4 marks on that paper(if you're ding Edexcel)

hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by jscgr
honestly felt that, christianity and islam is not going very well rn so i'm a bit terrified of the philosophy and ethics paper next monday!
i already have my notes from my mocks which im just reading over and highlighting (i know it's been proven inefficient, but at this rate it'll have to do) and reading some easily forgettable quotes or facts out loud to myself until they stick
worse comes to worse, just have the specification in front of you, find a section in the textbook that links to each point and read it

Thank you! Good luck! (>_< ) We can do this!
Reply 7
Yo lads imma tell you one time , I’m in the same boat and the grade boundaries for RS is ridiculously high like getting a 9 u have to get 91% that’s from last yr imagine this yr so I mean cramming is ur only hope
Reply 8
Original post by Raja12
yo i have seen you in loads of posts commenting something negative. keep it to urself. its possible to do it because I just done it......

How did it go for you? Also thank you (^_^ )
I'm actually failing rs tomorrow - read the examiner report and looked at the past paper and I'm literally seeing half the content for the first time? what is the nature of humanity!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by JoachimGro
Get key quotes and things that you wanna remember and then write them down, if you write it down, you might manage to remember it tmr during your exam, this works for me, i dunno if it'll work for you but it's worth a shot

Thank you!!
Reply 11
Original post by Mason James
I also have my Re-exam tomorrow, but I wouldn't say I'm cramming. Although here are some things I would do:

-make essay plans for all the possible big questions(for me this is the d markers)
-print off and answer practice papers
-read over a revision guide
-after reading over, speak to myself about what I learnt out loud or teach my family
forget the quotes if you're doing Edexcel, they aren't gonna get you many marks compared to the other questions, i mean if you do you'll only miss out on like 4 marks on that paper(if you're ding Edexcel)

hope this helps

Thank you! That's actually pretty true, the quotes are only 1 mark for the c type questions and there's 4 so (^_^ )

I didn't do RS for GCSE. I did the Geography and Biology exams though, which required a lot of writing.

My main advice I'll give here is make sure that you get enough sleep, so that you're fully ready for the exam. What I did during my GCSEs was look over my notes and write more down the night before, and in the morning on the bus look over those notes again.

If you're doing any past paper practice, it'll be worth trying a few questions the night before, and then letting your mind rest.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck! ^^
I did the exact same thing, crammed the night before and got an 8. Don't bother learning loads of quotes, learn quotes that can go for multiple topics instead of learning 1 for each sub topic. It's less to remember and makes life easier for you. Make sure your content is down and then now make essay plans. There is only certain 12 markers that can come up so think of every single argument possible and make your points for them all and learn those. Don't stress out!
Reply 14
I just done christianity... going to do buddhism tomorrow morning
How did it go for you? Also thank you (^_^ )
Original post by Raja12

no
I did GCSEs a long time ago, and from that, I think you should learn a few quotes that go with a lot of things and write your answer accordingly. Also, read the specification briefly to see what you need to know and go over half the topics today, and wake up early tomorrow morning to go over the rest of it. That way, at least some will stick hopefully.

Good Luck!

(And thanks for motivating me for my exams)
Reply 17
Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi
I didn't do RS for GCSE. I did the Geography and Biology exams though, which required a lot of writing.

My main advice I'll give here is make sure that you get enough sleep, so that you're fully ready for the exam. What I did during my GCSEs was look over my notes and write more down the night before, and in the morning on the bus look over those notes again.

If you're doing any past paper practice, it'll be worth trying a few questions the night before, and then letting your mind rest.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck! ^^

I plan to pull an all nighter especially for geography(all the frigging case studies can burn in hell for all I care) but I'll try to go to sleep by 1or2am (>□< )

I can't seem to find papers for my topic? There's lots of random papers that have nothing to do with my topic (Christianity and Buddhism)
Reply 18
Original post by zoe.nyaku
I did the exact same thing, crammed the night before and got an 8. Don't bother learning loads of quotes, learn quotes that can go for multiple topics instead of learning 1 for each sub topic. It's less to remember and makes life easier for you. Make sure your content is down and then now make essay plans. There is only certain 12 markers that can come up so think of every single argument possible and make your points for them all and learn those. Don't stress out!

Thank you so much! (^_^ )That's awesome!!! (>~< ) So for the quotes advice, for example if I'm looking at the specification for Topic 1 and there's 8 sub units each with a quote, I should look for 2/3 quotes that can go with any of the 8 sub units?

Another silly question but how would I go about making an essay plan? I'll use the d type questions in my booklet but don't know where to go from there.

Thank you yet again!
Reply 19
I'm doing catholic Christianity tmmrw and I have my Irish writing paper so I'm rlly cramming tonight, but try doing some past papers and predict what questions could come up (eg I think the triune God will probs come up for me)

Quick Reply

Latest