The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dr Gin
Definitely not a waste of time. One of my students last year missed their offer (AAA) with AAB but secured an MMI at Anglia Ruskin on results day and is currently a happy first year.

Really!!! I have heard Anglia Ruskin is very very strict about "AAA" and dont allow anything less than that.
This year they have a long list of reserve applicants so they might not entertain AAB anymore (my guess).
Reply 61
Drat. However other newbie med schools might...
Original post by Dr Gin
Drat. However other newbie med schools might...

Yeah also his was last year when Anglia Ruskin were taking in their first cohort so they did have a lot of places available. I think like you said the newer unis may be a bit more lenient
Hi, you said you did a retake For the UKCAT at summer, I have a friend who’s hasn’t done it for this academic year. but she is saying she can do it in the summer how does that work isn’t that accepted for the following year
Reply 64
Original post by Pabloe scobar
Hi, you said you did a retake For the UKCAT at summer, I have a friend who’s hasn’t done it for this academic year. but she is saying she can do it in the summer how does that work isn’t that accepted for the following year

you can take the UKCAT this summer and it will be accepted for clearing or for application for 2020 entry (i believe, have seen this written by people who have successfully entered through clearing and have taken UKCAT in the summer after A levels). you can also use your UKCAT score from the original application
Reply 65
Original post by Pabloe scobar

Original post by sotor
you can take the UKCAT this summer and it will be accepted for clearing or for application for 2020 entry (i believe, have seen this written by people who have successfully entered through clearing and have taken UKCAT in the summer after A levels). you can also use your UKCAT score from the original application

I am aware people have done this, but would advise checking with individual med schools, as your UCAT score is only supposed to apply to entry the year following you taking it. People who have sat it in the same year as entry will have a score that is not comparable to the rest of the cohort they are competing against, and may have an entirely different average and decile bands. Med schools seem to have ignored this, but I suspect there would be some difficult questions to answer if somebody narrowly missed an interview during the cycle due to their UCAT score being too low and chose to complain that somebody got an interview based on an entirely different exam that may turn out to have a considerably different average score during clearing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Fabrique
Hi All!

I have some resources available - Medical school applications, GAMSAT, UKCAT (UCAT), interviews.

Drop me a message!

Then post it on here so everyone can benefit
Hi, I'm going to hopefully be applying to medicine through clearing.

I've just done a masters degree and had a total change of heart in what I want to do with my life.

I know to apply through clearing I'll have to make a UCAS account and have a personal statement.

But my main question was does anyone know if I sit UCAT in june/July, would universities accept this for clearing applications? Also does anyone know if I wasnt to get a place through clearing could I use that UCAT score for applications in October as I know you cant resit it in the same application period.
I have to say I am surprised medicine even has clearing :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by Mr Optimist
I have to say I am surprised medicine even has clearing :biggrin:

People always are but there’s not been one year since I started to apply that a handful of unis haven’t been in clearintg
Original post by ax12
People always are but there’s not been one year since I started to apply that a handful of unis haven’t been in clearintg

I assume the clearing spots are taken up rapidly :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Mr Optimist
I assume the clearing spots are taken up rapidly :smile:

Usually they’ll close it on the day but people still have to have interviews etc. It’s not ‘first come first served’
Reply 72
I thought no med schools go into clearing? I presumed this was because the spaces are all filled given the highly sought after degree.
Reply 73
Original post by Lostx
I thought no med schools go into clearing? I presumed this was because the spaces are all filled given the highly sought after degree.

They do every year. Even though they account for people not firming them or missing grades they don’t always get it right, and they need to fill their spaces. They also can’t over-fill because they get fined.
Reply 74
Original post by hprobert1

I've just done a masters degree and had a total change of heart in what I want to do with my life.

I know to apply through clearing I'll have to make a UCAS account and have a personal statement.

But my main question was does anyone know if I sit UCAT in june/July, would universities accept this for clearing applications? Also does anyone know if I wasnt to get a place through clearing could I use that UCAT score for applications in October as I know you cant resit it in the same application period.

They shouldn’t accept your UCAT from this sitting for an October 2019 entry, but from what I’ve seen on other threads they have accepted it through clearing in the past.
I’m in a similar position to you as well. Like they said above technically your score shouldn’t be used but people have taken the Ucat again and used their new score for clearing
Original post by hprobert1

Reply 76
Hey guys,I'm an international student waitlisted for 2 unis. Do you know if clearing is open to international students too?
You’ll probably have to check individual university websites but usually I think clearing is for home students. However contact any unis that go into clearing and ask them
Original post by _aries
Hey guys,I'm an international student waitlisted for 2 unis. Do you know if clearing is open to international students too?
Reply 78
Original post by student0299
You’ll probably have to check individual university websites but usually I think clearing is for home students. However contact any unis that go into clearing and ask them

Original post by _aries

clearing is open to international students:

Applied through UCAS at an earlier stage (including after 30 June)

Been rejected by their firm and insurance choices

Applied to a course before 30 June, but were not made an offer

Qualified academically for a firm or insurance offer but have decided not to take it up

Have paid the full £22 application fee to enter Clearing.

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by student0299

Original post by sotor
clearing is open to any student with a ucas account, including international. you don't even have to have applied previously to enter clearing

Thank you for the responses! That's fantastic. Do you happen to know which unis will be open for clearing this cycle? Or is that info not disclosed yet? I'll keep my eyes open for that. Thank you again :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending